Present address Walter E. Rhodes, US Fish and Wildlife Service/DMBM-MBS, Laurel, MD 20708, USA.
Isolation of faecal coliform bacteria from the American alligator (Alligator mississippiensis)
Version of Record online: 25 JUL 2009
© 2009 The Authors. Journal compilation © 2009 The Society for Applied Microbiology
Journal of Applied Microbiology
Volume 108, Issue 3, pages 965–973, March 2010
How to Cite
Johnston, M.A., Porter, D.E., Scott, G.I., Rhodes, W.E. and Webster, L.F. (2010), Isolation of faecal coliform bacteria from the American alligator (Alligator mississippiensis). Journal of Applied Microbiology, 108: 965–973. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2672.2009.04498.x
- Issue online: 8 FEB 2010
- Version of Record online: 25 JUL 2009
- 2009/0769: received 30 April 2009, revised 1 July 2009 and accepted 17 July 2009
- 2005) Persistence and differential survival of fecal indicator bacteria in subtropical waters and sediments. Appl Environ Microbiol 71, 3041–3048. , and (
- 2006) Diversity and distribution of Escherichia coli genotypes and antibiotic resistance phenotypes in feces of humans, cattle, and horses. Appl Environ Microbiol 72, 6914–6922. , and (
- APHA (1998) Standard Methods for the Examination of Water and Wastewater. Washington, DC: American Public Health Association.
- 2005) Enterobacteriaceae identification. In Benson’s Microbiological Applications ed. Reidy, P.E. and Fornang, J.S. pp. 255–340. NY: McGraw-Hill. (
- 2004) Isolation of Salmonella strains from reptile faeces and comparison of different culture media. J Appl Microbiol 96, 709–715. , , , , , , , et al. (
- 2005) Concentrations of pathogens and indicators in animal feces in the Sydney watershed. Appl Environ Microbiol 71, 5929–5934. , , , and (
- 1979) Isolation of Aeromonas hydrophila from the American alligator, Alligator mississippiensis. J Wildl Dis 15, 239–243. , , and (
- 2002) Development of a procedure for discriminating among Escherichia coli isolates from animal and human sources. Appl Environ Microbiol 68, 2690–2698. , , , and (
- 1999) Determining sources of fecal pollution in a rural Virginia watershed with antibiotic resistance patterns in fecal streptococci. Appl Environ Microbiol 65, 5522–5531. , , , , and (
- 1999) Isolation of fecal coliform bacteria from the diamondback terrapin (Malaclemys terrapin centrata). Appl Environ Microbiol 65, 865–867. , , and (
- 2003) Using multiple antibiotic resistance and land use characteristics to determine sources of fecal coliform pollution. Environ Monit Assess 81, 337–348. , , , and (
- 2006) A comparison of bacterial indicators and methods in rural surface waters. Environ Monit Assess 121, 275–287. , , and (
- bioMérieux (2006) bioMérieux API 20E: Identification System for Enterobacteriacaea and Other Non-fastidious Gram-negative Rods Protocol. France: bioMérieux.
- 2008) Comparative efficacy of five different rep-PCR methods to discriminate Escherichia coli populations in aquatic environments. Water Sci Technol 58, 537–547. and (
- 2007) Evaluation of repetitive extragenic palindromic-PCR for discrimination of fecal Escherichia coli from humans, and different domestic- and wild-animals. Microbiol Immunol 51, 733–740. , , and (
- 2005) Evaluation of antibiotic resistance analysis and ribotyping for identification of faecal pollution sources in an urban watershed. J Appl Microbiol 99, 618–628. , , , , , and (
- 2000) Our Global Environment. Prospect Heights, IL: Waveland Press. (
- 1996) The probabilistic basis of Jaccard’s index of similarity. Syst Biol 45, 380–385. and (
- 1998) The health of alligator populations in South Carolina. In Principles and Processes for Evaluating Endocrine Disruption in Wildlife ed. Kendull, R., Dickerson, R., Giesy, J. and Suk, W. pp. 301–310. Pensacola, FL: SETAC Press. (
- 1988) Survival of Escherichia coli and Salmonella spp. in estuarine environments. Appl Environ Microbiol 54, 2902–2907. and (
- SCDHEC (2004a) South Carolina Beach Monitoring Program Quality Assurance Project Plan. Columbia, SC: South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control, Bureau of Water.
- SCDHEC (2004b) Water Classifications and Standards (Regulation 61-68). Columbia, SC: South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control, Bureau of Water.
- SCDHEC (2007) South Carolina Shellfish (Regulation 61-47). Columbia, SC: South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control, Bureau of Water.
- SCDNR (2004) A Baseline Assessment of Environmental and Biological Conditions in the May River, Beaufort County, South Carolina. Charleston, SC: South Carolina Department of Natural Resources.
- 2000) Microbes in urban watersheds: concentrations, sources, and pathways. In The Practice of Watershed Protection ed. Scheuler, T. and Holland, H. pp. 74–84. Ellicott City, MD: Center for Watershed Protection. and (
- 2002) Microbial source tracking: current methodology and future directions. Appl Environ Microbiol 68, 5796–5803. , , , and (
- 2002) Microbial source tracking: state of the science. Environ Sci Technol 36, 5279–5288. , and (
- 2000) Sources of Escherichia coli in a coastal subtropical environment. Appl Environ Microbiol 66, 230–237. , , and (
- 2006) F(+)RNA coliphage typing for microbial source tracking in surface waters. J Appl Microbiol 101, 1015–1026. , , , , and (
- USEPA (1986) Ambient Water Quality Criteria for Bacteria No. EPA-440-5-84-002. Washington, DC: US Environmental Protection Agency, Office of Water Regulations and Standards.
- USEPA (2000) The Quality of our Nation’s Waters No. EPA-841-S-00-001. Washington, DC: US Environmental Protection Agency, Office of Water.
- USEPA (2005) Microbial Source Tracking Guide Document No. EPA-600-R-05-064. Washington, DC: US Environmental Protection Agency, Office of Water Research and Development.
- USEPA (2007) Report of the Experts Scientific Workshop on Critical Research Needs for the Development of New or Revised Recreational Water Quality Criteria No. EPA-823-R-07-006. Warrenton, VA: US Environmental Protection Agency, Office of Water Research and Development.
- USGS (1987) Methods for collection and analysis of aquatic biological and microbiological samples. In Techniques of Water Resource Investigations of the United States Geological Survey ed. Britton, L.J. and Greeson, P.E. pp. 37–40. Reston, VA: US Geological Survey, Water Resources Investigations.
- 1996) The effects of urbanization on human and ecosystem health. In Sustainable Development in the Southeastern Coastal Zone ed. Vernberg, J., Vernberg, W.B. and Siewicki, T. pp. 221–239. Columbia, SC: University of South Carolina Press. , , , and (
- 2007) South Carolina Hunting Guide. Columbia, SC: South Carolina Department of Natural Resources. , , and (
- 1997) Growth rates of American alligators in coastal South Carolina. J Wildl Manage 61, 397–402. and (
- 2003) Role of nonhost environments in the lifestyles of Salmonella and Escherichia coli. Appl Environ Microbiol 69, 3687–3694. and (