Improving stroke care through action research
- •Stroke accounts for ∼20% of beds occupied on general medical wards yet nurses felt inadequately prepared to participate fully in the interdisciplinary approach to stroke rehabilitation.
- •An action research project was established to improve stroke care and rehabilitation in a general medical ward.
- •Results indicate a correlation between knowledge and attitudes: the greater the nurse's understanding the more positive the nurse is towards nursing involvement in rehabilitation.
- •It was concluded that nurses have a vital part to play in the rehabilitation of stroke patients and that their contribution can be enhanced through greater understanding.
- •Further research is needed to determine the effects of greater nursing involvement in terms of quality of patient recovery and length of patient stay.