A conceptual framework for advanced practice: an action research project operationalizing an advanced practitioner/consultant nurse role
- •A preliminary conceptual framework for an advanced practice/consultant nurse role is presented which links the role to its context and outcomes.
- •The conceptual framework was developed in the process of analysing data from a 3-year action research study involving the operationalization of an advanced practice/consultant nurse role in a Nursing Development Unit.
- •The skills and knowledge base of consultancy, underpinned by a strong nursing foundation, augmented by strong leadership and combined with the educator and researcher functions, are presented as the attributes of the advanced practitioner/consultant nurse.
- •The facilitation of a transformational culture is highlighted as central to the skills and processes used within the role.
- •Implications for the preparation and accreditation of the advanced practitioner/ consultant nurse are highlighted.