The challenges of improving discharge planning in Sweden and the UK: different but the same
- •Discharge of older people from hospital has been an area of concern for over 20 years.
- •The present emphasis on rapid throughput of patients in acute care settings is likely to exacerbate existing problems.
- •Improving current practice will mean addressing a number of complex issues to do with communication between agencies and professions.
- •Despite different welfare systems, many of the challenges of discharge planning are shared in different countries.
- •This paper describes attempts to involve patients and carers in discharge planning in Sweden and the UK and identifies a number of areas which require attention if the ideals of patient and carer empowerment are to be achieved.