Admission to care: facilitating role transition amongst family carers
- •Admission to care after a period of family care-giving has been the focus of much recent research.
- •Rather than being seen as an end in itself, admission is part of a process.
- •This article concentrates on ‘reaching the end’ of family care-giving and the ‘new beginning’ of entering residential care.
- •A cross-national study conducted in the USA and the UK is discussed, and similarities and differences in the two cultures are highlighted.
- •Decisions to enter a nursing home were often taken hurriedly and with lack of information in both countries.
- •Issues of quality of care and emotional responses by former carers were also important in both settings.