Frequency of nurses’ smoking cessation interventions: report from a national survey
Article first published online: 5 JUN 2009
© 2009 The Authors. Journal compilation © 2009 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Journal of Clinical Nursing
Volume 18, Issue 14, pages 2066–2077, July 2009
How to Cite
Sarna, L., Bialous, S. A., Wells, M., Kotlerman, J., Wewers, M. E. and Froelicher, E. S. (2009), Frequency of nurses’ smoking cessation interventions: report from a national survey. Journal of Clinical Nursing, 18: 2066–2077. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2702.2009.02796.x
- Issue published online: 5 JUN 2009
- Article first published online: 5 JUN 2009
- Accepted for publication: 8 November 2008
- 2005) Using the Internet to conduct research. Nurse Researcher 13, 55–70. (
- 2002) Hospital nurse staffing and patient mortality, nurse burnout, and job dissatisfaction. Journal of the American Medical Association 288, 1987–1993. , , , & (
- Association of American Medical Colleges (2007) Physician Behavior and Practice Patterns Related to Smoking Cessation – Full Report (5/17/2007.) A report prepared in cooperation with the Center for Health Workforce Studies for the American Legacy Foundation. Available at: http://www.americanlegacy.org/PDFPublications/Physicians_Study_-_Legacy_Report.pdf (accessed 21 October 2007).
- 2005) Predictors of perceiving smoking cessation counseling as a midwife’s role: a survey of Dutch midwives. European Journal of Public Health 15, 39–42. , , & (
- 2006) Is some provider advice on smoking cessation better than no advice? An instrumental variable analysis of the 2001 National Health Interview Survey. Health Services Research 41, 2114–2135. , & (
- American College of Emergency Physicians Task Force on Smoking Cessation (2006) Tobacco control interventions in the emergency department: a joint statement of emergency medicine organizations. Annals of Emergency Medicine 48, e417–426. , , , , , , , & ,
- 2007) Barriers to the provision of smoking cessation services reported by clinicians in underserved communities. The Journal of American Board of Family Medicine 20, 272–279. (
- 2004) Smoking-related attitudes and clinical practices of medical personnel in Minnesota. American Journal of Preventive Medicine 27, 316–322. , , , , & (
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (2006) Tobacco use among adults – United States, 2005. Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report 55, 1145–1151. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm5542a1.htm (accessed 27 September 2006).
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (2007a) Cigarette smoking among adults – United States, 2006. Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report 56, 1157–1161. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm5644a2.htm (accessed 8 February 2008).
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (2007b) Smoking-cessation advice from health-care providers – Canada, 2005. Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report 56, 708–712. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm5628a3.htm (accessed 27 August 2007).
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (2007c) State-specific prevalence of cigarette smoking among adults and quitting among persons aged 18–35 years – United States, 2006. Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report 56, 993–996. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm5638a2.htm (accessed 8 February 2008).
- 2007) Nurses’ tobacco-related knowledge, attitudes, and practice in four major cities in China. Journal of Nursing Scholarship 39, 46–53. , , & (
- 2005) Under-use of smoking-cessation treatments: results from the National Health Interview Survey, 2000. American Journal of Preventive Medicine 28, 119–122. , , & (
- 2005) The attitude of maternity staff to, and smoking cessation interventions with, childbearing women in London. Midwifery 21, 233–240. , & (
- 1998) The influence of individual and organizational factors on the reported smoking intervention practices of staff in 20 antenatal clinics. Drug Alcohol Review 17, 175–185. , & (
- 2003) Physician advice about smoking and drinking: are U.S. adults being informed? American Journal of Preventive Medicine 24, 71–74. , , & (
- 2000) Treating tobacco use and dependence: clinical practice guideline. Rockville, MD: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. Public Health Service. Available at: http://www.surgeongeneral.gov/tobacco/treating_tobacco_use.pdf (accessed 14 October 2007). , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , & (
- 2002) Effective tobacco dependence treatment. Journal of the American Medical Association 288, 1768–1771. , & (
- 2004) Preventing 3 million premature deaths and helping 5 million smokers quit: a national action plan for tobacco cessation. American Journal of Public Health 94, 205–210. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , & (
- 2005) A short report: survey of practice nurses’ attitudes towards giving smoking cessation advice. Family Practice 22, e614–e606. , & (
- 2004) Caught in the middle: experiences of tobacco-dependent nurse practitioners. Journal of the American Academy of Nurse Practitioners 16, 396–401. , , & (
- Hospital-data.com. Hospital and Nursing Home Profiles (2008) Avalable at: http://www.hospital-data.com (accessed 11 July 2006).
- 2004) Recruitment of research participants through the Internet. Computers, Informatics, Nursing 22, 289–297. & (
- 2006) Recruitment of oncology nurses for Internet research: issues and future directions. Oncology Nursing Forum 33, 249–254. , , , , , & (
- Institute of Medicine, Committee on Identifying Priority Areas for Quality Improvement (2003) Priority areas for national action: transforming health care quality (AdamsK & CorriganJM eds). The National Academies Press, Washington, DC. Available at: http://www.ahrq.gov/qual/iompriorities.htm (accessed 7 April 2007).
- AHRQ Smoking Cessation Guideline Study Group (2004) Implementing guidelines for smoking cessation: comparing the efforts of nurses and medical assistants. American Journal of Preventive Medicine 27, 411–416. , , , , &
- 2004) Predictors of tobacco-control activities of community health practitioners: report from a national survey. Taehan Kanho Hakhoe Chi 34, 1443–1450. , & (
- 2000) Smoking and mental illness. A population-based prevalence study. Journal of the American Medical Association 284, 2606–2610. , , , , & (
- 2002) Magnet Hospitals Revisited. Attraction and Retention of Professional Nurses. American Academy of Nursing and American Academy of Nurses Publishing, Washington, D.C. Available at: http://www.ahrq.gov/qual/nurseshdbk/docs/LundmarkV_MEPNP.pdf (accessed 15 May 2007). & (
- National Quality Forum (2006) Nursing Care Quality at NQF. Available at: http://www.qualityforum.org/nursing (accessed 21August 2007).
- 2006) The top priority: building a better system for tobacco cessation counseling. American Journal of Preventive Medicine 31, 103–106. , , , & (
- 2003) International efforts in tobacco control. Seminars in Oncology Nursing 19, 301–308. , , & (
- 2006) Smoking cessation in patients with diabetes mellitus: results from a controlled study of an intervention programme in primary healthcare in Sweden. Scandinavian Journal of Primary Health Care 24, 75–80. & (
- 2004) Practice nurses’ intentions to use clinical guidelines. Journal of Advanced Nursing 47, 500–509. & (
- 2005) The participation of health professionals in a smoking-cessation programme positively influences the smoking cessation advice given to patients. International Journal of Clinical Practice 59, 447–452. , , , & (
- 2006) A cluster-randomized trial on smoking cessation on German student nurses. Preventive Medicine 42, e443–448. , , & (
- 2008) Nursing intervention and smoking cessation. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews (1): CD001188. Available at: http://mrw.interscience.wiley.com/cochrane/clsysrev/articles/CD001188/pdf_fs.html (accessed 10 April 2008). & (
- 2007) Interventions for smoking cessation in hospitalised patients. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2007 (3): CD001837. DOI: DOI: 10.1002/14651858CD001837.pub2. Available at: http://mrw.interscience.wiley.com/cochrane/clsysrev/articles/CD001837/pdf_fs.html (accessed 1 August 2007). , & (
- 2000a) Tobacco interventions by oncology nurses in clinical practice: report from a national survey. Cancer 89, 881–889. , , , , & (
- 2000b) Tobacco-control attitudes, advocacy, and smoking behaviors of oncology nurses. Oncology Nursing Forum 27, 1519–1528. , , , & (
- 2001) Barriers to tobacco cessation in clinical practice: report from a National Survey of Oncology Nurses. Nursing Outlook 49, 166–172. , , & (
- 2003) Views of African-American nurses about tobacco cessation and prevention. Journal of the National Black Nurses Association 14, 1–8. , , , , & (
- 2006a) Strategies to implement tobacco control policy and advocacy initiatives. Critical Care Nursing Clinics of North America 18, 113–122, Xiii. , , & (
- 2006b) Tobacco control curricula content in baccalaureate nursing programs in four Asian nations. Nursing Outlook 54, 334–344. , , , , , , & (
- 2007) Impact of a statewide Internet-based tobacco cessation intervention. Journal of Medical Internet Research, 9, e28. doi:DOI: 10.2196/jmir.9.4.e28. Available at: http://www.jmir.org/2007/3/e28/ (accessed 10 April 2008). , , , , , & (
- 2005) What to do with a patient who smokes. Journal of the American Medical Association 294, 482–487. (
- 2006) Registered nurses’ perspectives on tobacco reduction: views from Western Canada. Canadian Journal of Nursing Research 38, 192–211. , & (
- 2007) Nurse adherence to a minimal-contact smoking cessation intervention on cardiac wards. Research in Nursing & Health 30, 429–444. , , & (
- 2002) Do smoking and health education influence student nurses’ knowledge, attitudes, and professional behavior? Preventive Medicine 34, 260–265. & (
- 2004) High rates of sustained smoking cessation in women hospitalized with cardiovascular disease: the Women’s Initiative for Nonsmoking (WINS). Circulation 109, 587–593, doi: DOI: 10.1161/01.CIR.0000115310.36419.9E. , , , , , , , , , & (
- 2006) Nurses’ smoking behaviour related to cessation practice. Nursing Times 102, 32–37. , , & (
- Survey Monkey.com. Available at: http://www.surveymonkey.com (accessed 4 April2008).
- 2006) Midwives’ attitudes to counselling women about their smoking behaviour during pregnancy and postpartum. Midwifery 22, 32–39. , , , , & (
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (2004) The Health Consequences of Smoking: A Report of the Surgeon General. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion, Office on Smoking and Health, Atlanta, GA. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/data_statistics/sgr/sgr_2004/index.htm#full (accessed 8 August 2007).
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (2006) The Registered Nurse Population, Findings from the March 2004 National Sample Survey of Registered Nurses. Health Resources and Services Administration, Bureau of Health Professions. Available at: http://bhpr.hrsa.gov/healthworkforce/rnsurvey04/ (accessed 10 April 2008).
- 2004) Tobacco dependence curricula in U.S. baccalaureate and graduate nursing education. Nursing Outlook 52, 95–101. , , & (
- 2006) Nursing research and treatment of tobacco dependence: state of the science. Nursing Research 55, S11–S15. , & (
- 2005a) Smoking cessation counseling in U.S. hospitals: a comparison of high and low performers. Journal of Clinical Outcomes Management 12, 345–352. , , , , & (
- 2005b) Quality of care in U.S. hospitals as reflected by standardized measures, 2002–2004. New England Journal of Medicine 353, 255–264. , , , & (
- World Health Organization Tobacco Free Initiative (2005) The role of health professionals in tobacco control. Health Professionals Against Tobacco. Available at: http://www.who.int/tobacco/resources/publications/wntd/2005/bookletfinal_20april.pdf (accessed 31May 2007).
- 2002) Evidence of real-world effectiveness of a telephone quitline for smokers. New England Journal of Medicine 347, 1087–1093. , , , , , & (