Editorial: The future of clinical nursing: meeting the needs of patients for compassionate and skilled nurses?
Version of Record online: 12 JUN 2011
© 2011 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Journal of Clinical Nursing
Volume 20, Issue 13-14, pages 1797–1800, July 2011
How to Cite
Bradshaw, A. (2011), Editorial: The future of clinical nursing: meeting the needs of patients for compassionate and skilled nurses?. Journal of Clinical Nursing, 20: 1797–1800. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2702.2010.03309.x
- Issue online: 12 JUN 2011
- Version of Record online: 12 JUN 2011
- 1960) A History of the Nursing Profession. Heinemann, London. (
- 1950) Letter: the nursing situation. British Medical Journal 1950, 307. (
- Anon (1880a) Nurses and doctors: systems of nursing, by a nurse. Edinburgh Medical Journal xxv, xi, 1048–1050.
- Anon (1880b) Nurses and doctors: Edinburgh Infirmary nursing, by one of the staff. Edinburgh Medical Journal xxv, xi, 1051–1052.
- Anon (1976) Is Briggs alive? Editorial. British Medical Journal 1, 1238.
- Anon (2005) One hundred years ago: sick nursing in France. British Medical Journal 330, 359.
- Audit Commission (1992) Making Time for Patients: A Handbook for Ward Sisters. HMSO, London.
- 1973) Nursing and Social Change. William Heinemann, London. (
- 1986) Florence Nightingale and the Nursing Legacy. Croom Helm, London. (
- 2005) Rise and demise of the hospital: a reappraisal of nursing. British Medical Journal 331, 1394–1396. (
- 1880) Nursing organisation in hospitals, correspondence. British Medical Journal 1, 225. (
- 2001a) The Nurse Apprentice 1860–1977. Ashgate, Aldershot. (
- 2001b) The Project 2000 Nurse. Whurr, London. (
- 2009) Measuring nursing care and compassion: The McDonaldised Nurse? Journal of Medical Ethics 35, 465–468. (
- 2010a) An historical perspective on the treatment of vocation in the Briggs Report (1972). Journal of Clinical Nursing 19, 3459–3467. (
- 2010b) Is the ward sister role still relevant to the quality of patient care? A critical examination of the ward sister role past and present. Journal of Clinical Nursing 19, 3555–3563. (
- 2008) Nursing competence ten years on. Journal of Clinical Nursing, 17, 1263–1269. & (
- 1971) The ward sister. British Medical Journal 3, 45. (
- DaviesC (ed.) (1980) Rewriting Nursing History. Croom Helm, London.
- Department of Health (2001) Health Service Circulars. HSC 2001/010. Implementing the NHS Plan: Modern Matrons: Strengthening the Role of Ward Sisters and introducing Senior Sisters.
- 2009) RCN defends nurses against Patients Association report on poor NHS care. Nursing Times 105, 5. (
- 2005) Cure or care? British Medical Journal 331, 7529. (
- Healthcare Commission (2009) Investigation into Mid Staffordshire NHS Foundation Trust. Commission for Health Care Audit and Inspection, London.
- 2008) Hansard. House of Commons, London, June 30 c.604. (
- The Lancet Commission on Nursing: Final Report. (1932) The Lancet, London.
- 1983) The Origins of General Nursing. Croom Helm, Beckenham. (
- Ministry of Health, Department of Health for Scotland, Ministry of Labour and National Service (1947) Report of the Working Party on the Recruitment and Training of Nurses (Sir Robert Wood Chairman). HMSO, London.
- 1988) A Zeal for Responsibility. University of Georgia Press, Athens. (
- Nuffield Provincial Hospitals Trust (1953) The Work of Nurses in Hospital Wards: Report of a Job-analysis. (Goddard H. Director). Nuffield Lodge, London.
- Nursing and Midwifery Council (2010) Standards for Pre-registration Nursing Education: Draft for Consultation. NMC, London.
- Patients Association (2009) Patients not Numbers, People not Statistics. Patients Association, London.
- 1949) A General Textbook of Nursing, 10th edn. Faber & Faber, London. (
- Prime Minister’s Commission on the Future of Nursing and Midwifery (2009) Available at: http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/+/www.dh.gov.uk/en/Healthcare/Nursingandmidwifery/DH_098961.
- 1996) The Politics of Nursing Knowledge. Routledge, London. (
- Report of the Prime Minister’s Commission on the Future of Nursing and Midwifery: Front Line Care (2010) March. London.
- Royal College of Nursing (2009) Breaking Down Barriers, Driving Up Standards. Royal College of Nursing, London.
- 2010) First students tested on compassion. Nursing Times 106, 2. (
- 1880) Doctors and nurses I. The Nineteenth Century vii, 40: 1091. (