Re-use of this article is permitted in accordance with the Terms and Conditions set out at http://wileyonlinelibrary.com/onlineopen#OnlineOpen_Terms.
Perceptions of healthy eating and physical activity in an ethnically diverse sample of young children and their parents: the DEAL prevention of obesity study
Article first published online: 25 JUL 2012
© 2012 The Authors Journal of Human Nutrition and Dietetics © 2012 The British Dietetic Association Ltd.
Journal of Human Nutrition and Dietetics
Volume 26, Issue 2, pages 132–144, April 2013
How to Cite
Rawlins E., Baker G., Maynard M. & Harding S. (2012) Perceptions of healthy eating and physical activity in an ethnically diverse sample of young children and their parents: the DEAL prevention of obesity study. J Hum Nutr Diet.
- Issue published online: 12 MAR 2013
- Article first published online: 25 JUL 2012
- Department of Health Policy Research Programme
- 2002) Research in black and white. Qual. Health Res. 12, 816–825. & (
- 2009) Fast Food Outlets in Tower Hamlets and the Provision of Healthier Food Choices. London: Tower Hamlets PCT. & (
- 2006) Parenting in Multi-racial Britain. London: National Children's Bureau. , & (
- 2003) Child- and parent-targeted interventions: the Memphis GEMS pilot study. Ethn. Dis. 13, S40–S53. , , , , , , , , , & (
- 2006) Immigrant youth: acculturation, identity, and adaptation. Appl. Psychol. 55, 303–332. , , & (
- 2007) Community and family perspectives on addressing overweight in urban African-American youth. J. Gen. Intern. Med. 23, 175–179. , , , , , , & (
- 2003) Ethnic differences in cardiovascular disease. Heart 89, 681–686. (
- 2004) The health-promoting family: a conceptual framework for future research. Soc. Sci. Med., 59, 377–387. (
- 1984) Hard-earned Lives: Accounts of Health and Illness from East London. London: Tavistock Publications. (
- 2008) Developing and evaluating complex interventions: the new Medical Research Council guidance. Br. Med. J. 337, a1655. , , , , & (
- 2001) Hypertension in four African-origin populations: current “Rule of Halves”, quality of blood pressure control and attributable risk of cardiovascular disease. J. Hypertens., 19, 41–46. , , , , , , , , & (
- Department of Health. (2004) At Least Five a Week: Evidence of the Impact of Physical Activity and its Relationship to Health. A Report from the Chief Medical Officer. London: Department of Health.
- Department of Health. (2008) Healthy Weight, Healthy Lives: A Toolkit for Developing Local Strategies. London: Department of Health.
- Department of Health. (2010) Change4Life Convenience Stores Evaluation Report. London: Department of Health.
- 2010) Nutritional composition of the diets of South Asian, black African-Caribbean and white European children in the United Kingdom: the Child Heart and Health Study in England (CHASE). Br. J. Nutr. 104, 276–285. , , , , , , , & (
- 2001) Women in their place: Gender and perceptions of neighbourhoods and health in the west of Scotland. Geographies of Women's Health. 265–281. & (
- 2002) A community-based obesity prevention program for minority children: rationale and study design for Hip-Hop to Health Jr. Prev. Med. 34, 289–297. , , , & (
- Food Standards Agency. (2001) The Balance of Good Health. London: Food Standards Agency. Available at: http://www.food.gov.uk/multimedia/pdfs/bghbooklet.pdf (accessed on 1 March 2010).
- 2008) Changing dietary habits of ethnic groups in Europe and implications for health. Nutr. Rev. 66, 203–215. & (
- 2001) Familial approach to the treatment of childhood obesity: conceptual model. J. Nutr. Educ. 33, 102–107. & (
- 2008) Overweight, obesity and high blood pressure in an ethnically diverse sample of adolescents in Britain: the Medical Research Council DASH study. Int. J. Obes. 32, 82–90. , , & (
- 2010) Emergence of ethnic differences in blood pressure in adolescence. The Determinants of Adolescent Social well-Being and Health study. Hypertension 55, 1063–1069. , , , , , & (
- 2010) Weight status, energy-balance behaviours and intentions in 9–12-year-old inner-city children. J. Hum. Nutr. Diet. 23, 85–96. , , & (
- 2007) Obesity and health inequalities. Obes. Rev. 8, 19–22. , , & (
- 2004) Obesity in children and young people: a crisis in public health. Obes. Rev. 5(Suppl 1), S4–S85. , & (
- 2003) Understanding context and culture in the parenting approaches of immigrant South Asian mothers. Affilia 18, 411–428. & (
- 2009) Developing obesity prevention interventions among ethnic children in schools and places of worship: The DEAL (Diet and Active Living) study. BMC Public Health 9, 480–491. , , , & (
- 2010) Ethnic differences in psychological well-being in adolescence in the context of time spent in family activities. Soc. Psychiatry Psychiatr. Epidemiol. 45, 115–123. & (
- 2002) Hearing children's voices: methodological issues in conducting focus groups with children aged 7–11 years. Qual. Res. 2, 5–20. , , & (
- 2000) A qualitative study investigating the views of primary-age children and parents on physical activity. Health Educ J 59, 166–179. , & (
- National Audit Office (2001) Tackling Obesity in England. Report by the Comptroller and Auditor General. London: The Stationery Office.
- 2011) Black families' perceptions of barriers to the practice of a healthy lifestyle: a qualitative study in the UK. Crit. Public Health, (in press). Doi: 10.1080/09581596.2011.610438. (
- 2010) ‘You know what I mean:’ The ethical and methodological dilemmas and challenges for Black researchers interviewing Black families. Qual. Health Res. 20, 1725–1735. (
- 2009) Ethnic and gender differences in physical activity levels among 9–10-year-old children of white European, South Asian and African–Caribbean origin: the Child Heart Health Study in England (CHASE Study). Int. J. Epidemiol. 38, 1082–1093. , , , , & (
- 2006) The multi-dimensional neighbourhood and health: a cross-sectional analysis of the Scottish Household Survey, 2001. Health & Place 12, 1–18. & (
- 2008) Bodyspace: A Study of Childhood Obesity Discourse. Leeds: University of Leeds. (
- 2001) Young People and Physical Activity: A Systematic Review of Research on Barriers and Facilitators. London: EPPI-Centre, Social Science Research Unit, Institute of Education, University of London. , , , , & (
- 2006) Young people and physical activity: a systematic review matching their views to effective interventions. Health Educ. Res. 21, 806–825. , , , , , & (
- 2005) Results of Go Girls: a weight control program for overweight African-American adolescent females. Obesity 13, 1739–1748. , , & (
- 1997) Variations in health behaviours among inner city 12-year-olds from four ethnic groups. Ethn. Health 2, 309–316. , & (
- 2002) Assessing the diet of the British African-Caribbean population: frequency of consumption of foods and food portion sizes. Int. J. Food Sci. Nutr. 53, 439–444. , , & (
- 1992) Establishing and maintaining healthy environments. Toward a social ecology of health promotion. Am. Psychol. 47, 6–22. (
- 2003) Influences on diet and physical activity among middle-class African American 8- to 10-year-old girls at risk of becoming obese. J. Nutr. Educ. Behav. 35, 115–123. , , , , , & (
- 2003) Influences on adolescent eating patterns: the importance of family meals. J. Adolesc. Health 32(36), 5–373. & (
- 2006) Development of adiposity in adolescence: five year longitudinal study of an ethnically and socioeconomically diverse sample of young people in Britain. BMJ 332, 1130–1135. , , , & (
- 2002) Early evidence of ethnic differences in cardiovascular risk: cross sectional comparison of British South Asian and white children. Br. Med. J. 324, 635–638. , , , , , & (
- 2001) The role of gender and family support on dietary compliance in an African American adolescent hypertension prevention study. Ann. Behav. Med. 23, 59–67. & (
- 2006) Forecasting Obesity to 2010. London: Joint Health Surveys Unit (National Centre for Social Research and Department of Epidemiology and Public Health at the Royal Free and University College Medical School). , , , & (