A qualitative study to investigate the drivers and barriers to healthy eating in two public sector workplaces
Version of Record online: 21 AUG 2012
© 2012 The Authors Journal of Human Nutrition and Dietetics © 2012 The British Dietetic Association Ltd.
Journal of Human Nutrition and Dietetics
Volume 26, Issue 1, pages 85–95, February 2013
How to Cite
Pridgeon A. & Whitehead K. (2012) A qualitative study to investigate the drivers and barriers to healthy eating in two public sector workplaces. J Hum Nutr Diet. 26, 85–95 doi: 10.1111/j.1365-277X.2012.01281.x
- Issue online: 22 JAN 2013
- Version of Record online: 21 AUG 2012
- 1998) Take Five, a nutrition education intervention to increase fruit and vegetable intakes: impact on attitudes towards dietary change. Br. J. Nutr. 80, 133–140. , , , , & (
- 2007) Factors influencing lunchtime food choices among working Americans. Soc. Pub. Health Educ.36, 289–301. & , , , & (
- 2009) NHS Health and Wellbeing Review: Final Report, November 2009. London: Department of Health. . (
- 2006) Using thematic analysis in psychology. Qualit. Res. Psychol. 3, 77–101. & (
- 2004) Social Research Methods, 2nd edn. Oxford: Oxford University Press. . (
- Cabinet Office. (2008) Food Matters. Towards a Strategy for the 21st Century. The Strategy Unit. London: Cabinet Office.
- Cross Government Obesity Unit Department of Health and Department of Children, Schools and Families. (2008) Healthy Weight, Healthy Lives: A Cross-government Strategy for England. London: Department of Health.
- Department for Work and Pensions and Department of Health. (2008) Working for a Healthier Tomorrow: Dame Carol Black's Review of the Health of Britain's Working Age Population. London: TSO.
- Department of Health. (2005) Choosing a Better Diet: A Food and Health Action Plan. London: Department of Health.
- Department of Health. (2009) Department of Health Response to the Boorman NHS Health and Wellbeing Review. London: Department of Health.
- Department of Health. (2010a) Equity and Excellence: Liberating the NHS. London: Department of Health.
- Department of Health. (2010b) NHS Constitution: the NHS Belongs to Us All. London: Department of Health.
- Department of Health. (2010c) Healthy Lives, Healthy People: Our Strategy for Public Health in England. London: Department of Health.
- Department of Health. (2011) NHS Health & Wellbeing Improvement Framework 2011/12. London: Department of Health.
- 2007) “Pizza is cheaper than salad”: assessing workers' views for an environmental food intervention. Obesity 15(Suppl), 57S–68S. , , , & (
- 2003) Sandwiching it in: spillover of work onto food choices and family roles in low and moderate income urban households. Soc. Sci. Med. 56, 617–630. , , & (
- 2005) Worksite health promotion programs with environmental changes: a systematic review. Am. J. Prev. Med. 29, 61–70. , , & (
- 2001a) Barriers to healthy eating in the nursing profession: Part 1. Nurs. Stand. 15, 33–36. , , & (
- 2001b) Barriers to healthy eating in the nursing profession: Part 2. Nurs. Stand. 15, 33–35. , , & (
- 1998) A review of point of choice nutrition labelling schemes in the workplace, public eating places and universities. J. Hum. Nutr. Diet. 11, 423–445. & (
- 2006) Time scarcity and food choices: an overview. Appetite 47, 196–204. & (
- 2007) Selected barriers and incentives for worksite health promotion services and policies. Am. J. Health Prom. 21, 439–447. , , & (
- 2007) Factors influencing participation rates ad employees' attitudes towards promoting healthy eating at blue collar worksites. Health Educ. Res. 22, 727–736. , , , & (
- 2010). Fair Society Healthy Lives. A Strategic Review of Health Inequalities in England Post 2010. London: The Marmot Review. . (
- NICE. (2006) Obesity: Guidance on the Prevention, Identification, Assessment and Management of Overweight and Obesity in Adults and Children. Clinical Guideline 43. London: NICE.
- Office for National Statistics. (2011) Labour Market Statistics. London: Office for National Statistics.
- 2010) Healthy eating strategies in the workplace. Int. J. Workplace Health Manag. 3, 182–196. , & (
- 2010) School and workplace meals promote healthy food habits. Public Health Nut. 13, 987–992. , & (
- 2003) Qualitative Research Practice. A Guide for Social Science Students and Researchers. London: Sage Publications Ltd. & . (
- 1994) Qualitative data analysis for applied policy research. In Analysing Qualitative Data. eds A. Bryman & R. Burgess. London: Routledge. & . (
- 2001) Men, masculinity and food: interviews with Finnish carpenters and engineers. Appetite 37, 47–56. , & (
- 2004) Having lunch at a staff canteen is associated with recommended food habits. Public Health Nut. 7, 53–61. , & (
- Royal College of Physicians. (2011) Implementing NICE Guidance for the Workplace: A National Organisational Audit of NHS Trusts in England. London: Royal College of Physicians.
- 1998) The effects of a health promotion – health protection intervention on behavior change: the WellWorks study. Am. J. Public Health 88, 1685–1690. , , , , , , & (
- 1999) Increasing fruit and vegetable consumption through worksites and families in the Treatwell 5-a-Day study. Am. J. Public Health 89, 54–60. , , , , , , & (
- 2004) Worksite-based research and initiatives to increase fruit and vegetable consumption. Prev. Med. 39, S94–S100. , & (
- 2004) Process evaluation of two environmental nutrition programmes and an educational nutrition programme conducted at supermarkets and worksite cafeterias in the Netherlands. J. Hum. Nutr. Diet. 17, 107–115. , , & (
- 2008) Creating healthy food and eating environments: Policy and Environmental Approaches. Annu. Rev. Public Health 29, 253–272. , , & (
- 2010) Qualitative research in nutrition and dietetics: getting started. J. Hum. Nutr. Diet. 23, 559–566. & (
- 1998) Developing a worksite health promotion intervention: health Works for Women. Am. J. Health Behav. 22, 434–442. , , , , , & (
- 2005) Food at Work. Workplace Solutions for Malnutrition and Chronic Disease. Geneva: International Labour Office. (
- WHO. (2003) Diet, Nutrition and the Prevention of Chronic Diseases: Report of a Joint WHO/FAO Expert Consultation. Technical Report Series 916. Geneva: WHO.
- WHO. (2004) Global Strategy on Diet, Physical Activity and Health. Geneva: World Health Organisation.
- 2011). Health and Well-Being at Work: A Survey of Employers. Department for Work and Pensions Research Report No 750. London: Department for Work and Pensions. & . (