Consensus guidelines into the management of epilepsy in adults with an intellectual disability
Article first published online: 12 JUN 2009
© 2009 The Author. Journal Compilation © 2009 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Journal of Intellectual Disability Research
Volume 53, Issue 8, pages 687–694, August 2009
How to Cite
Kerr, M., Scheepers, M., Arvio, M., Beavis, J., Brandt, C., Brown, S., Huber, B., Iivanainen, M., Louisse, A. C., Martin, P., Marson, A. G., Prasher, V., Singh, B. K., Veendrick, M. and Wallace, R. A. (2009), Consensus guidelines into the management of epilepsy in adults with an intellectual disability. Journal of Intellectual Disability Research, 53: 687–694. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2788.2009.01182.x
- Issue published online: 13 JUL 2009
- Article first published online: 12 JUN 2009
- Accepted 11 May 2009
- 2007a) Non-pharmacological interventions for epilepsy in people with intellectual disabilities. Cochrane Database Systematic Review 17, 4. , & (
- 2007b) Pharmacological interventions for epilepsy in people with intellectual disabilities (Review). The Cochrane Library 3, 1–15. , & (
- 2000) Epilepsy and intellectual disability – a review. Journal of Intellectual Disability Research 44, 1–15. & (
- Clinical Guideline 20 (2004) The epilepsies: the diagnosis and management of the epilepsies in adults and children in primary and secondary care. Available at: http://www.nice.org.uk/CG020NICEguideline.
- 2008) Sleep problems in children with neurological disorders. Developmental Neurorehabilitation 11, 95–114. , , & (
- 1997) Learning disability and epilepsy. 2, a review of available outcome measures and position statements on development priorities. Seizure 6, 337–50. , , , , , et al. (
- 2006) ILAE treatment guidelines: evidence-based analysis of antiepileptic drug efficacy and effectiveness as initial monotherapy for epileptic seizures and syndromes. Epilepsia 4, 1094–120. , , , , , et al. (
- 2008) Rufinamide for generalized seizures associated with Lennox-Gastaut syndrome. Neurology 70, 1950–8. , , , , & (
- IASSID Guidelines Group (2001) Clinical guidelines for the management of epilepsy in adults with an intellectual disability. Seizure 10, 401–9.
- 2005) A randomised double-blind, placebo controlled trial of topiramate in adults with epilepsy and intellectual disability: impact on seizures, severity and quality of life. Epilepsy & Behavior 7, 472–80. , & (
- 1997) Learning disabilities and epilepsy. 1, towards common outcome measures. Seizure 6, 331–6. & (
- 2000) Early identification of refractory epilepsy. New England Journal of Medicine 342, 314–19. & (
- 2001) The epidemiology of epilepsy and learning disability. Epilepsia 42, 6–9. & (
- 2004) A proposal for case definitions and outcome measures in studies of infantile spasms and West syndrome: consensus statement of the West Delphi group. Epilepsia 45, 1416–28. & (
- 1997) Lamotrigine for generalized seizures associated with the Lennox-Gastaut syndrome. Lamictal Lennox-Gastaut Study Group. New England Journal of Medicine 337, 1807–12. , , , , & (
- 2007) Negative effects of antiepileptic drugs on mood in patients with epilepsy. Drug Safety 30, 555–67. & (
- 2008) Antiepileptic drugs – best practice guidelines for therapeutic drug monitoring: a position paper by the subcommission on therapeutic drug monitoring, ILAE Commission on Therapeutic Strategies. Epilepsia 49, 1239–76. , , , , , et al. (
- 2006) Clinically relevant drug interactions with antiepileptic drugs. British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology 61, 246–55. (
- 1999) A double-blind, randomized trial of topiramate in Lennox-Gastaut syndrome. Topiramate YL Study Group. Neurology 52, 1882–7. , , , , & (
- S.I.G.N. (2003) Diagnosis and management of epilepsy in adults. Guideline No 70 April 2003.
- 1996) Randomised comparative monotherapy trial of phenobarbitone, phenytoin, carbamazepine, or sodium valproate for newly diagnosed childhood epilepsy. Lancet 347, 709–13. , , , , , et al. (
- 2007) Incidence and predictors of mental ill-health in adults with intellectual disabilities: prospective study. British Journal of Psychiatry 191, 313–19. , , , , , et al. (
- The Felbamate Study Group in Lennox-Gastaut Syndrome (1993) Efficacy of felbamate in childhood epileptic encephalopathy (Lennox-Gastaut syndrome). New England Journal of Medicine 328, 29–33.