Abnormalities in pH handling by peripheral muscle and potential regulation by the autonomic nervous system in chronic fatigue syndrome
Version of Record online: 20 AUG 2009
© 2010 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Journal of Internal Medicine
Volume 267, Issue 4, pages 394–401, April 2010
How to Cite
Jones, D. E. J., Hollingsworth, K. G., Taylor, R., Blamire, A. M. and Newton, J. L. (2010), Abnormalities in pH handling by peripheral muscle and potential regulation by the autonomic nervous system in chronic fatigue syndrome. Journal of Internal Medicine, 267: 394–401. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2796.2009.02160.x
- Issue online: 11 MAR 2010
- Version of Record online: 20 AUG 2009
- 1Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (encephalopathy); diagnosis and management. http://www.nice.gov.org
- 2Neurally mediated hypotension and chronic fatigue syndrome. Am J Med 1998; 105: 15S–21S., .
- 3The importance of orthostatic intolerance in the chronic fatigue syndrome. Am J Med Sci 1999; 317: 117–23., .
- 4Orthostatic intolerance in the chronic fatigue syndrome. J Auton Nerv Syst 1999; 75: 192–201., , , .
- 5Autonomic function and serum erythropoietin levels in chronic fatigue syndrome. J Psychosom Res 2004; 56: 179–83., , , , , .
- 6Symptoms of autonomic dysfunction in chronic fatigue syndrome. QJM 2007; 100: 519–26., , , , , .
- 7Does the chronic fatigue syndrome involve the autonomic nervous system? Am J Med 1997; 102: 357–64., .
- 8The postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome: a potentially treatable cause of chronic fatigue, exercise intolerance, and cognitive impairment in adolescents. PACE 2000; 23: 344–51., , et al.
- 9Cardiovascular response during head-up tilt in chronic fatigue syndrome. Clin Physiol 1999; 19: 111–20., , et al.
- 10Autonomic testing in patients with chronic fatigue syndrome. Am J Med 1998; 105: 22S–6S., , , , , .
- 11Use of time-frequency analysis to investigate temporal patterns of cardiac autonomic response during head-up tilt in chronic fatigue syndrome. Auton Neurosci 2004; 113: 55–62., , , , .
- 12A measure of heart rate variability is sensitive to orthostatic challenge in women with chronic fatigue syndrome. Exp Biol Med 2003; 228: 167–74., , .
- 13Chronic fatigue syndrome: a hypothesis focusing on the autonomic nervous system. Clin Sci 1999; 96: 117–25., .
- 14Neurally mediated hypotension and autonomic dysfunction measured by heart rate variability during head-up tilt testing in children with chronic fatigue syndrome. Clin Autonom Res 1998; 8: 221–30., , et al.
- 15Hemodynamic and neurohumoral responses to head-up tilt in patients with chronic fatigue syndrome. Clin Auton Res 2002; 12: 273–80., , , , , .
- 16Abnormal impedance cardiography predicts symptom severity in chronic fatigue syndrome. Am J Med Sci 2003; 326: 55–60., , et al.
- 17Autonomic nervous system dysfunction in adolescents with postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome and chronic fatigue syndrome is characterized by attenuated vagal baroreflex and potentiated sympathetic vasomotion. Pediatr Res 2000; 48: 218–26..
- 18Locomotor muscle fatigue modifies central motor drive in healthy humans and imposes limitation to exercise performance. J Physiol 2008; 586: 161–73., .
- 19Pilot study of peripheral muscle function in primary biliary cirrhosis: potential implications for fatigue pathogenesis. CGH 2008; 6: 1041–8., , et al.
- 20Demonstration of delayed recovery from fatiguing exercise in chronic fatigue syndrome. Eur J Neurol 1999; 6: 63–9., , , .
- 21Muscle pH regulation: role of training. Acta Physiol Scand 1998; 162: 359–66..
- 22Evidence of extracellular mechanism for the action of H+ on recovery of muscles following fatigue. Can J Physiol Pharmacol 1982; 60: 1720–4., .
- 23The chronic fatigue syndrome: a comprehensive approach to its definition and study. Ann Intern Med 1994; 121: 953–9., , et al.
- 24Definition and prevalence of sedentarism in an urban population. Am J Public Health 1999; 89: 862–7., , .
- 25Measuring the functional impact of fatigue: initial validation of the fatigue impact scale. Clin Infect Dis 1994; 18(Suppl 1): S79–83., , , , , .
- 26A rapid screening tool for fatigue impact in multiple sclerosis. BMC Neurol 2006; 6: 27., , , , .
- 27ATP production rates as a function of force level in the human gastrocnemius/soleus using 31P MRS. Magn Res Med 1994; 32: 1–10..
- 28Improved method for accurate and efficient quantification of MRS data with use of prior knowledge. J Magn Reson 1997; 129: 35–43., ,
- 29Quantitative interpretation of bioenergetic data from 31P and 1H magnetic resonance spectroscopic muscle: an analytical review. Magn Reson Quart 1994; 10: 43–63., .
- 30Anonymous. Heart rate variability: standards of measurement, physiological interpretation and clinical use. Task force of the European society of cardiology and the North American society of pacing and electrophysiology. Circulation 1996; 93: 1043–65.
- 31Proton efflux in human skeletal muscle during recovery from exercise. Eur J Appl Physiol 1997; 76: 462–71., , , .
- 32Mitochondrial function and oxygen supply in normal and chronically ischaemic muscle: a combined 31P magnetic resonance spectroscopy and near infrared spectroscopy study in vivo. J Vasc Surg 2001; 34: 1103–10., , et al.
- 33The effect of beta 2-adrenoceptor stimulation and blockade of L-type calcium channels on in vivo Na+/H+ antiporter activity in rat skeletal muscle. Biochim Biophys Acta 1991; 1093: 234–40., , , , .
- 34Heterogeneity in chronic fatigue syndrome: evidence from magnetic resonance spectroscopy of muscle. Neuro Disord 1998; 8: 204–9., , , , .
- 35Skeletal muscle metabolism in the chronic fatigue syndrome. Chest 1992; 102: 1716–22., , et al.
- 36Blood flow and muscle metabolism in the chronic fatigue syndrome. Clin Sci (Lond) 2003; 104: 641–7., , , , .
- 37Skeletal muscle bioenergetics in the chronic fatigue syndrome. JNNP 1993; 56: 679–83., , , .
- 38Chronic fatigue syndrome: an approach combining self-management with graded exercise to avoid exacerbations. J Rehab Med 2008; 40: 241–7., , .