Presented at the 11th Annual Conference of the Society for Phenomenology and the Hunan Sciences, Salt Lake City, UT, USA.
When caretaking competes with care giving: a qualitative study of full-time working mothers who are nurse managers
Version of Record online: 24 JUL 2008
© 2008 The Authors. Journal compilation © 2008 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Journal of Nursing Management
Volume 16, Issue 7, pages 858–867, October 2008
How to Cite
FIRMIN, M. W. and BAILEY, M. (2008), When caretaking competes with care giving: a qualitative study of full-time working mothers who are nurse managers. Journal of Nursing Management, 16: 858–867. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2834.2008.00875.x
As used in this study, the phrase ‘nursing administrator’ refers to an American professional nurse, working in managerial milieu. These individuals possess the Registered Nurse (RN) credential to practice professional nursing in the state where they reside. As such, they typically have spent time working as ‘floor nurses’, providing direct care to patients. Subsequently, they have been promoted into supervisory positions within hospital settings, exercising clinical and administrative oversight for the nurses who work on their respective floor unit. In the UK, the functional equivalent of the individuals in the present study might be referenced by designators such as Director of Nursing, Ward Managers, Charge Nurses, or Unit Matrons.
- Issue online: 15 OCT 2008
- Version of Record online: 24 JUL 2008
- Accepted for publication: 7 February 2008
Options for accessing this content:
- If you are a society or association member and require assistance with obtaining online access instructions please contact our Journal Customer Services team.
- If your institution does not currently subscribe to this content, please recommend the title to your librarian.
- Login via other institutional login options http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/login-options.
- You can purchase online access to this Article for a 24-hour period (price varies by title)
- If you already have a Wiley Online Library or Wiley InterScience user account: login above and proceed to purchase the article.
- New Users: Please register, then proceed to purchase the article.
Login via OpenAthens
Search for your institution's name below to login via Shibboleth.
Registered Users please login:
- Access your saved publications, articles and searches
- Manage your email alerts, orders and subscriptions
- Change your contact information, including your password
Please register to:
- Save publications, articles and searches
- Get email alerts
- Get all the benefits mentioned below!