- • The work of health professionals is generally of a better quality if it is based on reliable knowledge or evidence that comes from good research.
- •While nurses are frequently recommended to use best available research evidence to guide them in their practice, it seems that many do not heed this recommendation.
- • A survey was undertaken among Irish psychiatric nurses to find out from them the sources of knowledge or evidence that they use in order to guide their practice.
- • Psychiatric nurses in Ireland get most of their knowledge from their everyday experiences of nursing patients and from fellow practitioners, but few seem to get knowledge to guide their practice from sources such as published professional and research journals.
- • Based on these findings, it may be concluded that psychiatric nurses are similar to general nurses in their tendency to not use published information to guide their practice.