- • The usefulness of the Sense of Coherence (SOC) scale in the nursing setting is well-established.
- • The aim of this prospective clinical study was to test whether low SOC predicted future suicidality in suicide attempters.
- • Low SOC at index attempt was associated with suicidality at 2-month follow-up, and associations were independent of major depression and symptom burden.
- • Low SOC at index attempt was associated with repeat self-harm during a 3-year observation period. However, the association did not remain after adjustment for depression and symptom burden.
- • The SOC may help to identify patients at continued risk for suicidal behaviour.