Subjective sleepiness and physiological sleep tendency in healthy young morning and evening subjects
Version of Record online: 20 JAN 2009
© 1994 European Sleep Research Society
Journal of Sleep Research
Volume 3, Issue 3, pages 138–143, September 1994
How to Cite
VOLK, S., DYROFF, J., GEORGI, K. and PFLUG, B. (1994), Subjective sleepiness and physiological sleep tendency in healthy young morning and evening subjects. Journal of Sleep Research, 3: 138–143. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2869.1994.tb00120.x
- Issue online: 20 JAN 2009
- Version of Record online: 20 JAN 2009
- Accepted in revised form 9 February 1994; received 3 September 1993
- American Sleep Disorders Association. The clinical use of the multiple sleep latency test. Sleep, 15: 268–276.
- Effects of sleep loss on sustained cognitive performance during a command and control simulation. Behav. Res. Methods Instrum. Comput., 1985, 17: 55–67. and
- Subjective sleepiness ratings: the ratings of sleep deprivation, circadian rhythmicity and cognitive performance. Sleep, 1991, 14: 534–539. , and
- The effect of varying prophylactic naps on performance, alertness and mood throughout a 52-hour continuous operation. Sleep, 1991, 4: 307–315.
- Tolerance to shift of sleep, as related to the individual circadian phase position. Ergonomics, 1978, 21: 767–774. , , , , and
- The Pittsburgh sleep quality index: a new instrument for psychiatric practice and research. Psychiatry Res., 1989, 28: 193–213. , , , and
- Guidelines for the multiple sleep latency test (MSLT): A standard measure of sleepiness. Sleep, 1986, 9: 519–524.
- Nocturnal determinants of daytime sleepiness. Sleep, 1982, 5: 573–581. and
- The multiple sleep latency test: what does it measure?. Sleep, 1985, 5: 67–72. and
- The multiple sleep latency test: individual variability and time of day effect in normal young adults. Sleep, 1990, 13: 385–394. , , and
- Toward a predictive test of adjustment to shift work. Ergonomics, 1979, 22: 79–91. , and
- Sleep and body temperature in ‘morning’ and ‘evening’ people: Sleep, 1985, 8: 311–318. , , and
- Sleep schedules and peak times of oral temperature and alertness in morning and evening ‘types’. Ergonomics, 1982, 25: 821–827. , and
- P300 and individual differences: morning/evening preference, food, and time of day. Psychophysiology, 1992, 1: 86–94. and
- Sensitivity of the Stanford sleepiness scale to the effects of cumulative partial sleep deprivation and recovery oversleeping. Sleep, 1981, 4: 83–92. and
- A self-assessment questionnaire to determine morningness-eveningness in human circadian rhythms. Int. J. Chronobiol., 1976, 4: 97–110. and
- Differences in sleep-wake habits and EEG sleep variables between active morning and evening subjects. Sleep, 1987, 10: 330–342. , , , and
- A new method for measuring daytime sleepiness: the Epworth sleepiness scale. Sleep, 1991, 14: 540–545.
- EEG slow wave activity, REM sleep, and rectal temperature during night and day sleep in morning-type and evening-type subjects. Psychophysiology, 1991, 6: 678–688. and
- Differences between morning-types and evening-types in the dynamics of EEG slow wave activity during night sleep. Electroenceph. clin. Neurophysiol., 1991, 78: 197–202.
- Inter-individual differences in the human circadian system: a review. Biol Psychol., 1985, 20: 83–112.
- Sleep and Wakefulness. University of Chicago Press, Chicago , 1963 (second edition).
- Twenty-Four-Hour structure of sleepiness in morning and evening persons investigated by ultrashort sleep-wake cycle. Sleep, 1989, 6: 522–528. and
- Daytime sleepiness in healthy university students: a multiparametric study. Ital. J. Neurol. Sci., 1991, 12: 303–309. , , , , , and
- Individual differences in circadian fatigue patterns of shift workers. Br. J. Ind. Med., 1973, 22: 79–91.
- Relationship of autonomic nervous system activity to daytime sleepiness and prior sleep. Sleep, 1989, 12: 239–245. and
- Circadian variation of sleep tendency in elderly and young adult subjects. Sleep, 1982, 5: 82–94. , , and
- Sleep extension in sleepy and alert normals. Sleep, 1989, 12: 449–457. , , and
- Level of sleepiness and total sleep time following various time in bed conditions. Sleep, 1993, 16: 226–232. , , and
- Measuring tiredness by symptoms. Sleep Res., 1991, 20A: 515. , and
- Personality differences in the phase of circadian rhythms: a comparison of morningness and eveningness. Ergonomics, 1988, 6: 873–888. , , and