Effect of unilateral somatosensory stimulation prior to sleep on the sleep EEG in humans
Version of Record online: 20 JAN 2009
© 1994 European Sleep Research Society
Journal of Sleep Research
Volume 3, Issue 3, pages 159–164, September 1994
How to Cite
KATTLER, H., DIJK, D.-J. and BORBÉLY, A. A. (1994), Effect of unilateral somatosensory stimulation prior to sleep on the sleep EEG in humans. Journal of Sleep Research, 3: 159–164. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2869.1994.tb00123.x
- Issue online: 20 JAN 2009
- Version of Record online: 20 JAN 2009
- Accepted in revised form 11 April 1994; received 6 December 1993
- A model of human sleep homeostasis based on EEG slow-wave activity: Quantitative comparison of data and simulations. Brain Res. Bull., 1993, 31: 97–113. , , and
- All-night dynamics of the human sleep EEG. J. Sleep Res., 1993, 2: 70–81. and
- Sleep in a sitting position: Effect of triazolam on sleep stages and EEG power spectra. Psychopharmacol., 1994, 114: 209–214. , , , and
- A1 adenosine receptor stimulation mimics changes in non-REM sleep EEG slow-wave activity produced by sleep deprivation in the rat. Sleep Res., 1993, 22: 4. , and
- Sleep deprivation: effect on sleep stages and EEG power density in man. Electroenceph. Clin. Neurophysiol., 1981, 51: 483–493. , , , ,
- A two-process model of sleep regulation. Human Neurobiol., 1982, 1: 194–204.
- Effect of partial sleep deprivation on sleep stages and EEG power spectra: evidence for nonREM and REM sleep homeostasis. Electroenceph. Clin. Neurophysiol., 1990, 75: 492–499. , , and
- An electrode independent function describing the EEG changes during sleep. In: W. P.Koella and P.Levin (Eds) Sleep 1976. Karger, Basel , 1977: 470–473. , and
- Effects of body heating during sleep interruption. Sleep, 1985, 8: 274–282. and
- Passive body heating and sleep: influence of proximity to sleep. Sleep, 1988, 11: 210–219. , , , and
- EEG power density during nap sleep: reflection of an hourglass measuring the duration of prior wakefulness. J. Biol. Rhythms, 1987, 2: 207–219. , and
- Sex differences in the sleep EEG of young adults: visual scoring and spectral analysis. Sleep, 1989, 12: 500–507. , and
- Time course of EEG power density during long sleep in humans. Am. J. Physiol., 1990a, 258: R650–R661. , and
- EEG power density and slow wave sleep as a function of prior waking and circadian phase. Sleep, 1990b, 13: 430–440. , , and
- Intracranial recording of SWA in man. In: J.Horne (Ed.) Sleep ‘90: Proceedings of the 10th congress of the European Sleep Research Society. Pontenagel Press, Bochum , 1990: 3–7. and
- Dynamics of electroencephalographic sleep spindles and slow wave activity in men: effect of sleep deprivation. Brain Res, 1993, 626: 190–199. , ,
- Spectral analysis of the EEG. Some fundamentals revisited and some problems. Neuropsychobiology, 1987, 17: 85–99. and
- Development of the EEG of school-age children and adolescents. II. Topography. Electroenceph. Clin. Neurophysiol., 1988, 69: 100–109. , , , and
- Sleep EEG effects of exercise with and without additional body cooling. Electroenceph. Clin. Neurophysiol., 1985, 60: 33–38. and
- Night-time sleep EEG changes following body heating in a warm bath. Electroenceph. Clin. Neurophysiol., 1985, 60: 154–157. and
- Report on the committee on methods of clinical examination in electroencephalography. Electroenceph. Clin. Neurophysiol., 1958, 10: 370–375.
- Patterns of metabolic activity in cytoarchitectural area SII and surrounding cortical fields in the monkey. J. Neurophysiol., 1983, 50: 961–980. , and
- A neuronal group theory of sleep function. J. Sleep Res., 1993, 2: 63–69. and
- Enhanced slow-wave activity within NREM sleep in the cortical and subcortical EEG of the cat after sleep deprivation. Sleep, 1992, 15: 102–118. , and
- Electric Fields of the brain: The neurophysics of EEG. Oxford University Press, New York , 1981.
- The assessment and analysis of handedness: The Edinburgh inventory. Neuropsychologia, 1971, 9: 97–113.
- Unihemispheric sleep deprivation in bottlenose dolphins. J. Sleep Res., 1992, 1: 40–44. , , , and
- PET measured evoked cerebral blood flow responses in an awake monkey. J. Cereb. Blood Flow Metab., 1991, 11: 229–235. , , and
- N6(L-Phenylisopropyl)adenosine (L-PIA) increases slow-wave sleep (S2) and decreases wakefulness in rats. Brain Res., 1982, 246: 178–180. , and
- Adenosine sleep theory. Sleep Res., 1993, 22: 485.
- A Manual of Standardized Terminology, Techniques and Scoring Systems for Sleep Stages of Human Subjects. Public Health Serv., U.S. Gov. Print. Off., Washington DC , 1968. and
- Positron emission tomography studies of the somatosensory system in man. In: D. J.Chadwick, J.Whelan, R.Porter (Eds) Exploring Brain Functional Anatomy with Positron Tomography, Wiley, Chichester , 1991: 113–124. and
- Vibratory stimulation increases and decreases the regional cerebral blood flow and oxidative metabolism: a positron emission tomography (PET) study. Acta Neurol. Scand. 1992, 86: 60–67. and
- Thermal load alters sleep. Biol. Psychiatry., 1989, 26: 736–740. , , and
- Steady-state vibration evoked potentials: description of technique and characterization of responses. Electroenceph. clin. Neurophysiol., 1992, 84: 257–268.
- Interleukin-I derived from astrocytes enhances slow wave activity in sleep EEG of the rat. Eur. J. Pharmacol., 1984, 104: 191–192. , , and
- Asymmetric somatosensory activation with right- vs left-hand stimulation: a positron emission tomographic study. Brain Res., 1989, 483: 355–360. , , , , , , , , , and