Sleep, Dreams and memory: an overview
Version of Record online: 20 JAN 2009
© 1995 European Sleep Research Society
Journal of Sleep Research
Volume 4, Issue 1, pages 2–9, March 1995
How to Cite
CIPOLLI, C. (1995), Sleep, Dreams and memory: an overview. Journal of Sleep Research, 4: 2–9. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2869.1995.tb00143.x
- Issue online: 20 JAN 2009
- Version of Record online: 20 JAN 2009
- REM and NREM sleep reports: comparison of word frequencies by cognitive classes. Psychophysiology, 1983, 20: 562–568.
- The effects of external stimuli applied prior and during sleep on sleep experience. A. M.Arkin, J. S.Antrobus and S. J.Ellman (Eds) The Mind in Sleep. Lawrence Erlbaum Associates Hillsdale, NJ , 1978: 351-391. and
- Memories in sleep: old and new. In: R. R.Bootzin, J. F.Kihlstrom and D. L.Schachter (Eds) Sleep and Cognition. American Psychological Association, Washington DC , 1990: 67-76.
- Presleep mentation and dream reports. Arch. Gen. Psychiatry, 1968, 19: 300–311. , and
- Effect of sleep on memory: III. Controlling for time-of-day effects. J. Exp. Psychol., 1972, 96: 321–327. and
- Sleep and memory: Retention 8 and 24 hours after initial learning. Psychophysiology, 1975, 12: 192–195. and
- The beneficial effect of sleep in an extended Jenkins and Dallenbach paradigm. Psychophysiology, 1977, 14: 375–384. and
- Performance during sleep. In: W.Webb (Ed.) Biological Rhythms, Sleep, and Performance. John Wiley & Sons, Chichester , 1982: 205-237.
- Cognitive activity in sleep and responsiveness to external stimuli. Sleep, 1988, 11: 61–68. , and
- The narrative structure of dreams: linguistic tools of analysis. In: J.Horne (Ed.) Sleep 1990 Pontenagel Press, Bochum , 1990: 281-284.
- Incorporation of cognitive stimuli into mental sleep experience and contextual emotive stress. In: W. P.Koella, F.Obal, H.Schulz and P.Visser (Eds) Sleep 1986. Fischer Verlag, Stuttgart , 1988a: 388-390. , , , and
- Thematic continuity of mental sleep experience in the same night. Sleep, 1987, 10: 473–479. , , , and
- Associative mechanisms in dream production. In: J.Antrobus and M.Bertini (Eds) Neuropsychology of Dreaming. Lawrence Press, Hillsdale , NJ , 1992a: 185-196. , , , and
- Dream structure in Parkinson's patients. J. Nerv. Ment Dis., 1992b, 180: 516–524. , , , and
- Approaching the study of mental sleep experience from an information processing perspective. In: W. P.Koella, F.Obal, H.Schulz and P.Visser (Eds) Sleep 1986. Fischer Verlag, Stuttgart , 1988b: 95-98. and
- The thematic continuity in mental experiences in REM and NREM sleep. Int. J. Psychophysiol., 1988c, 6: 307–313. , , , , and
- Iterative processing of presleep stimuli simultaneously operating in REM sleep. In: 9th European Congress of Sleep Research (Abstract Book). Technion Press, Jerusalem , 1988d: 59. , , , , , and
- Recall of mental sleep experience with or without prior verbalization. Am. J. Psychol., 1992c, 105: 385–407. , , , , , , and
- Associative relationships between pre-sleep sentence stimuli and reports of mental sleep experience. Percept. Mot. Skills, 1983a, 56: 223–234. , , and
- Iterative processing of information in subsequent episodes of REM sleep. Neurosci. Letts, 1992d, Suppl. 43: S26. , , and
- Story structure in verbal reports of mental experience after awakening in REM sleep. Sleep, 1992, 15: 133–142. and
- Sentence memory and sleep: a pilot study. Sleep, 1979, 2: 193–198. and
- Incorporation of pre-sleep sentence stimuli in different halves of the night. In: W. P.Koella (Ed.) Sleep 1982. Karger, Basel , 1983b: 375-377. , , , , , and
- Relationships in the manifest content of dreams occurring on the same night. J. Nerv. Ment. Dis., 1958, 126: 258–278. and
- Sleep, brain activation and cognition. Physiology & Behavior, 1990, 47: 1271–1278. , &
- The effect of sleep on human long-term memory. In: R. R.Drucker-Colin and J. L.McGaugh (Eds) Neurobiology of Sleep and Memory. Academic Press, New York , 1977: 419-438. , , and
- Spontaneous recovery and sleep. J. Exp. Psychol., 1971, 88: 142–144. , , and
- Rapid eye movements and remembering. Nature, 1970, 227: 287–288. and
- Accessing previous mental sleep experience in REM and NREM sleep. Biol. Psychol., 1989, 29: 27–38. , and
- Paradoxical sleep and memory storage processes. Behav. Biol., 1978, 19: 425–464. and
- Dream reports from different stages of sleep. J. Abnormal Social Psychol., 1962, 65: 14–25.
- The Psychology of Sleep. Scribners, New York : 1966.
- A cognitive-psychological model of REM dream production. Sleep, 1982, 5: 169–187.
- Dreaming: a cognitive-psychological analysis. Erlbaum, Hillsdale , NJ , 1985.
- Presleep determinants of dream content: effects of two films. Percept. Mot. Skills, 1964, 19: 983–1005. and ,
- Temporal sequence and unit composition in dream reports from different stages of sleep. Sleep, 1983, 6: 265–280. and
- Sleep and memory. Science, 1973, 179: 302–304. , and
- The effect of sleep on retention. J. Exp. Psychol., 1937, 19: 316–322.
- The effect of sleep before or after learning on memory. Sleep, 1984, 7: 155–167. and
- Forgetting as a function of sleep at different times of day. Q. J. Exp. Psychol., 1972, 24: 386–393. , and
- Obliviscence during sleep and waking. Am. J. Psychol., 1924, 35: 605–612. and
- EEG and memory storage in sleep experiments with humans. Electroenceph. Clin. Neurophysiol., 1968, 25: 455–462. and
- Temperature, time-of-night of testing, and responsiveness to stimuli presented while sleeping. Psychophysiology, 1991, 28: 463–467. , , and
- Computer analysis of EEG wakefulness-sleep patterns during learning of novel and familiar sentences. Electroenceph. Clin. Neurophysiol., 1974, 37: 73–84. and
- The effect of REM deprivation: is it detrimental, beneficial or neutral? Psychophysiology, 1975, 12: 349–353. and
- Recall after sleep. Am. J. Psychol., 1968, 81: 253–257. and
- Forgetting of meaningful material during sleep and waking. Amer. J. Psychol., 1939, 52: 65–71.
- Psychophysiological study on the depth of sleep in normal subjects. Electroenceph. Clin. Neurophysiol., 1966, 21: 140–147. , , and
- Short-term memory during Stage 2 sleep. Psychophysiology., 1977, 14: 439–444. , , , , and
- Discriminative responses to stimulation during human sleep. Brain, 1960, 83: 440–453. , and
- REM sleep and information processing: evidence from animal studies. Neurosci. Biobehav. Rev., 1979, 3: 57–68.
- Retention of verbal materials perceived immediately prior to onset of non-REM sleep. Percept. Mot. Skills, 1966, 22: 751–758. , , , and
- Interrelatedness of mental activity during sleep. Arch. Gen. Psychiatry, 1963, 9: 536–547. , and
- The long range effect of sleep on retention. Austral. J. Psychol., 1963, 115: 37–41. and
- Sleep and memory II: Investigations on humans. Neurosci. Biobehav. Rev., 1992, 16: 503–505.
- Spontaneously recalled verbal material and its linguistic organization in relation to different stages of sleep. Biol. Psychol., 1974, 2: 435–446. and
- Linguistic organization and cognitive implications of REM and NREM sleep related reports. Percept. Mot. Skills, 1979, 49: 767–777. and
- Implicit memory: history and current status. J. Exp. Psychol.: LMC, 1987, 13: 501–518.
- Memory retention of stimulations during REM and NREM stages of sleep. Electroenceph. Clin. Neurophysiol., 1977, 43: 658–665. , , , , and
- Sleep states and learning: a review of the animal literature. Neurosci. Biobehav. Rev., 1985, 9: 157–68.
- The phenomenology of dreaming. In: L.Meadow and L.Snow (Eds) The Psychodynamic Implications of the Physiological Studies on Dreams. Thomas, Springfield , IL , 1970: 124-151.
- The effect of prior sleep on rehearsal, receding and memory. Bri. J. Psychol., 1973, 64: 537–543.
- Memory performance after arousal from different sleep stages. Br. J. Psychol., 1977, 68: 177–181.
- Sleep learning during Stage 2 and REM sleep. Biol. Psychol., 1979, 9: 155–161.
- Retrieval from semantic memory during night without sleep. J. Exp. Psychol., 1984, 36: 281–289. and
- Olfactory stimuli and their effects on REM dreams. Psychiat. J. Univ. Ott., 1988, 13: 79–84. , and ,
- Episodic and semantic memory. In: E.Tulving and W.Donaldson (Eds) Organization of Memory. Academic Press, New York , 1972: 381-403.
- Retention after intervals of sleep and waking. Arch. Psychol., 1932, 21: 1–49.
- Instrumental behavior during sleep. Psychophysiology, 1966, 2: 208–216. , and
- Effect of sleep on memory: II. Differential effect of the first and second half of the night. J. Exp. Psychol., 1971, 88: 361–366. , and