Cortico-motoneurone excitability in patients with obstructive sleep apnoea
Version of Record online: 26 MAY 2004
Journal of Sleep Research
Volume 13, Issue 2, pages 159–163, June 2004
How to Cite
Civardi, C., Naldi, P. and Cantello, R. (2004), Cortico-motoneurone excitability in patients with obstructive sleep apnoea. Journal of Sleep Research, 13: 159–163. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2869.2004.00391.x
- Issue online: 26 MAY 2004
- Version of Record online: 26 MAY 2004
- Accepted in revised form 12 January 2004; received 14 July 2003
- Clinical and research methods for evaluating cortical excitability. J. Clin. Neurophysiol., 2002, 19: 307–321. and
- Pharmacologic influences on TMS effects. J. Clin. Neurophysiol., 2002, 19: 255–271.
- Transcranial magnetic stimulation and Parkinson's disease. Brain. Res. Rev., 2002, 38: 309–327. , and
- Magnetic brain stimulation: the silent period after the motor evoked potential. Neurology, 1992, 42: 1951–1959. , , and
- Transcranial motor stimulation of patients with obstructive sleep apnoea. Pneumologie, 1993, 47: 160–161. and
- Obstructive sleep apnea syndrome. In: C.Chokroverty (Ed.) Sleep Disorders Medicine: Basic Science, Technical Considerations, and Technical Aspects. Butterworth-Heinemann, Boston, 1994: 199–218. and
- Interictal inhibitory mechanisms in patients with cryptogenic motor cortex epilepsy: a study of the silent period following transcranial magnetic stimulation. Electroencephalogr. Clin. Neurophysiol., 1998, 107: 1–7. , , , and
- Cortical excitability and sleep deprivation: a transcranial magnetic stimulation study. J. Neurol. Neurosurg. Psychiatry, 2001, 71: 809–812. , , , , , , and
- Direct demonstration of reduction of the output of the human motor cortex induced by fatiguing muscle contraction. Exp. Brain Res., 2003, 149: 535–538. , , , , , , , and
- Evidence of a sleep-specific blunted cortical response to inspiratory occlusions in mild obstructive sleep apnea syndrome. Am. J. Respir. Crit. Care Med., 2002, 166: 1225–1234. , , and
- Corticospinal excitability in human sleep as assessed by transcranial magnetic stimulation. Neurology, 2002, 59: 1988–1991. , , , and
- The cortical topography of human swallowing musculature in health and disease. Nat. Med., 1996, 2: 1217–1224. , , , , , , and
- Changes in cerebral oxygenation and hemodynamics during obstructive sleep apneas. Chest, 1996, 109: 916–921. , , , and
- Impact of brainstem sleep mechanisms on pharyngeal motor control. Respir. Physiol., 2000, 119: 113–121.
- Motor control of the pharyngeal musculature and implications for the pathogenesis of obstructive sleep apnea. Sleep, 1996, 19: 827–853.
- Intracranial pressure and obstructive sleep apnoea. Chest, 1989, 95: 279–283. and
- The obesity-hypoventilation syndrome revisited. Chest, 2001, 120: 369–376. , , , , , and
- Intracortical inhibitory mechanism in normal human sleep. Neurology, 2001, 56: 9–10. , , , and
- Nature of a cortical inhibitory process. J. Physiol., 1966, 184: 49–77. , and
- Sleep apnoea syndrome today: much done, more to do. Sleep Med. Rev., 2003, 7: 3–7.
- The prolonged cortical silent period in patients with Huntington's disease. Clin. Neurophysiol., 2001, 112: 1470–1474. , , , , , , and
- Motor threshold, facilitation and the silent period in cortical magnetic stimulation. In: A.Pascual-Leone, N. J.Davey, J.Rothwell, E. M.Wassermann and B. K.Puri (Eds) Handbook of Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation. Arnold, London, 2002: 97–111. , and
- Magnetic stimulation: motor evoked potentials. In: G.Deuschl and A. G.Eisen (Eds) Recommendations for the Practice of Clinical Neurophysiology. Clin. Neurophysiol., 1999, 52 (Suppl.): 97–103. , , , , and
- Increased excitability of the human corticospinal system with hyperventilation. Electroencephalogr. Clin. Neurophysiol., 1998, 109: 263–267. , and
- Recognition of obstructive sleep apnoea. State of the art. Am. J. Resp. Critic. Care Med., 1996, 154: 279–289. and
- The utility of topographic EEG mapping in obstructive sleep apnea syndrome. Sleep, 1993, 16: S76–S78. , , , and
- Low-frequency oscillations (<0.3 Hz) in the electromyographic (EMG) activity of the human trapezius muscle during sleep. J. Neurophysiol., 2002, 88: 1177–1184. , and
- Sleep-related breathing disorder. 2. Pathophysiology of obstructive sleep apnoea. Thorax, 1995, 50: 797–804.