The relationship of nightmare frequency and nightmare distress to well-being
Article first published online: 26 MAY 2004
Journal of Sleep Research
Volume 13, Issue 2, pages 129–136, June 2004
How to Cite
Blagrove, M., Farmer, L. and Williams, E. (2004), The relationship of nightmare frequency and nightmare distress to well-being. Journal of Sleep Research, 13: 129–136. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2869.2004.00394.x
- Issue published online: 26 MAY 2004
- Article first published online: 26 MAY 2004
- Accepted in revised form 10 March 2004; received 19 November 2003
- Nightmare frequency versus nightmare distress: relations to psychopathology and cognitive style. J. Abnorm. Psychol., 1992a, 101: 592–597.
- The relationship of nightmare frequency to nightmare suffering with implications for treatment and research. Dreaming, 1992b, 2: 143–148.
- On the psychometric properties of retrospective dream content questionnaires. Imagin. Cogn. Pers., 19956, 15: 351–364. and
- Characteristics of the frequent nightmare sufferer. J. Abnorm. Psychol., 1992, 101: 246–250. and
- Happiness in dreams: associations with waking happiness, skills, and challenges. Sleep, 2000, 23 (Abstract Suppl. 2): A100–A101. and
- Individual differences in self-reported sleep variable correlations among nightmare sufferers. J. Clin. Psychol., 1978, 34: 721–725. and
- Life stress measures and reported frequency of sleep disorders. Percept. Mot. Skills, 1984a, 58: 39–49.
- Content of waking life events and of nightmare themes. Percept. Mot. Skills, 1984b, 58: 899–902.
- Nightmare frequency, personality and acute psychopathology. Pers. Ind. Diff., 1999, 27: 843–851. and
- Nightmares, dreams, and schizotypy. Br. J. Clin. Psychol., 1997, 36: 377–386. , and
- Personality correlates of psychological distress. Pers. Ind. Diff., 1966, 20: 313–319. , , and
- The Scientific Study of Dreams: Neural Networks, Cognitive Development, and Content Analysis. American Psychological Association, Washington, DC, 2003.
- Manual of the Eysenck Personality Scales. Hodder & Stoughton, London, 1991. and
- Individual differences in mental activity at sleep onset. J. Abnorm. Psychol., 1966, 71: 280–286. , and
- A User's Guide to the General Health Questionnaire. NFER-NELSON, Windsor, UK, 1988. and
- A comparison of two psychiatric screening tests. Br. J. Psychiatry, 1976, 129: 61–67. , , and
- The Nightmare. Basic Books, New York, 1984.
- Dreams and Nightmares: The New Theory on the Origin and Meaning of Dreams. Plenum, New York, 1998.
- A preliminary study of the personality of the nightmare sufferer: relationship to schizophrenia and creativity? Am. J. Psychiatry 1981, 138: 794–797. , , , and
- Who has nightmares? The personality of the lifelong nightmare sufferer. Arch. Gen. Psychiatry, 1987, 44: 49–56. , , , and
- Nightmares: clinical characteristics and personality patterns. Am. J. Psychiatry, 1980, 137: 1197–1201. , , , , , and
- Behavioral effects of nightmares and their correlations to personality patterns. Dreaming, 2001, 11: 43–52. and
- Sleep parameters of Type A and B scoring college students. Percept. Mot. Skills, 1992, 74: 723–726. and
- Personality, dream content and dream coping style. Pers. Ind. Diff., 1984, 5: 211–219. and
- Nightmares and schizotypy. Psychiatry, 1998, 61: 206–216.
- The relation of fantasy proneness, psychological absorption, and imaginative involvement to nightmare prevalence and nightmare distress. Imagin. Cogn. Pers., 20012, 21: 111–129. and
- Nightmare prevalence, nightmare distress, and self-reported psychological disturbance. Sleep, 2002a, 25: 205–212. and
- Phenomenal qualities of nightmare experience in a prospective study of college students. Dreaming, 2002b, 12: 109–120. and
- Profile of Mood States Bipolar Form (POMS-BI). Educational and Industrial Testing Service, San Diego, CA, 1980. and
- Nightmare distress and stress-related health problems. Percept. Mot. Skills, 1999, 89: 114–115. , , and
- Prevalence of nightmares and their relationship to psychopathology and daytime functioning in insomnia subjects. Sleep, 1997, 20: 340–348. , and
- Reported association of stress and dreaming: background levels and changes with disaster (Hurricane Iniki). Dreaming, 1995, 5: 43–50. , and
- Personal boundaries and nightmare consequences in frequent nightmare sufferers. Dreaming, 2003, 13: 245–254. and
- Questionnaires and diaries as research instruments in dream research: methodological issues. Dreaming, 2002, 12: 17–26.
- Continuity between waking activities and dream activities. Conscious. Cogn., 2003, 12: 298–308. and
- Nightmares as predictors of suicide. Sleep, 2001, 24: 844–847. , , , , and
- The prevalence of nightmares and their independence from anxiety. J. Abnorm. Psychol., 1990, 99: 64–68. and
- Effects of the 1989 San Francisco earthquake on frequency and content of nightmares. J. Abnorm. Psychol., 1992, 101: 219–224. , , , and
- Nightmares and bad dreams: their prevalence and relationship to well-being. J. Abnorm. Psychol., 2000, 109: 273–281. and
- Trait anxiety and its relation to nightmares, bad dreams and dream content. Sleep Res., 1995, 24: 150. , , and
- Nightmare frequency versus nightmare distress among people with frequent nightmares. Sleep, 2000, 23 (Suppl. 2): A170. , , , and