Sleep problems in children with autism
Version of Record online: 1 SEP 2004
Journal of Sleep Research
Volume 13, Issue 3, pages 265–268, September 2004
How to Cite
Gail Williams, P., Sears, L. L. and Allard, A. (2004), Sleep problems in children with autism. Journal of Sleep Research, 13: 265–268. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2869.2004.00405.x
- Issue online: 1 SEP 2004
- Version of Record online: 1 SEP 2004
- Accepted in revised form 5 May 2004; received 10 July 2003
- American Psychiatric Association. Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, 4th edn. American Psychiatric Association, Washington, DC, 1994.
- Sleep in behavioral and emotional disorders. In: R.Ferber and M.Kryger (Eds) Principles and Practice of Sleep Medicine in the Child. Saunders, Philadelphia, PA, 1995: 147–153.
- Sleep abnormalities in mentally retarded autistic subjects, Downs syndrome with mental retardation, and normal subjects. Brain. Dev., 1999, 21: 548–553. , , , , and
- Sleep in subjects with autistic disorder: a neurophysiological and psychological study. Brain. Dev., 2000, 22: 88–92. , , , , , , , , and
- Differential Ability Scales. The Psychological Corporation, San Antonio, TX, 1990.
- Sleeplessness in children. In: R.Ferber and M.Kryger (Eds) Principles and Practice of Sleep Medicine in the Child. Saunders, Philadelphia, PA, 1995: 79–89.
- A laboratory study of sleep in Asperger's syndrome. Neuroreport, 2000, 11: 127–130. , , , and
- Sleep disordered breathing and school performance in children. Pediatrics, 1998, 102: 616–620.
- Sleep patterns in autistic children. J. Autism. Dev. Disord., 1999, 29: 143–147. , , , and
- Sleep loss and divergent thinking ability. Sleep, 1988, 11: 528–536.
- Melatonin treatment of sleep-wake cycle disorders in children and adolescents. Dev. Med. Child. Neurol., 1999, 41: 491–500. , and
- Development of parasomnias from childhood to early adolescence. Pediatrics, 2000, 106: 67–74. , , and
- An investigation into sleep characteristics of children with autism and Asperger's disorder. J. Pediatr. Child Health, 1998, 34: 528–533. , and
- Sleep problems in children with mental handicap. J. Ment. Defic. Res., 1991, 35: 269–290.
- Sleep problems in autism: prevalence, cause, and intervention. Dev. Med. Child. Neurol., 1999, 41: 60–66.
- The sleep–wake rhythm in children with autism. Eur. Child. Adolesc. Psychiatry, 1995, 4: 175–186. and
- Parental reports of sleep problems in children with autism. J. Autism. Dev. Disord., 2000, 30: 127–135. and
- Abnormal sleep patterns associated with autism. Autism, 1998, 2: 157–169. and
- Disturbance of sleep in blindness. Am. J. Opthamol., 1998, 126: 707–712. , , , , , and
- Wechsler Intelligence Scale for Children, 3rd edn. The Psychological Corporation, San Antonio, TX, 1991.