Comparative utility of instruments for monitoring sleepiness-related performance decrements in the operational environment
Article first published online: 1 SEP 2004
Journal of Sleep Research
Volume 13, Issue 3, pages 219–227, September 2004
How to Cite
Balkin, T. J., Bliese, P. D., Belenky, G., Sing, H., Thorne, D. R., Thomas, M., Redmond, D. P., Russo, M. and Wesensten, N. J. (2004), Comparative utility of instruments for monitoring sleepiness-related performance decrements in the operational environment. Journal of Sleep Research, 13: 219–227. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2869.2004.00407.x
- Issue published online: 1 SEP 2004
- Article first published online: 1 SEP 2004
- Accepted in revised form 17 May 2004; received 23 December 2003
- Practice effects on visuomotor and problem-solving tests by children. Percept. Mot. Skills, 2001, 92: 479–494. , , , and
- Effects of Sleep Schedules on Commercial Driver Performance. Report No. DOT-MC-00-133. US Department of Transportation, Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration, Washington, DC, 2000. , , , , , , , and
- Patterns of performance degradation and restoration during sleep restriction and subsequent recovery: a sleep dose–response study. J. Sleep Res., 2003, 12: 1–13. , , , , , , and
- Guidelines for the multiple sleep latency test (MSLT): a standard measure of sleepiness. Sleep, 1986, 9: 519–524. , , , , and
- Statistical Power Analysis for the Behavioral Sciences, 2nd edn. Erlbaum, Hillsdale, NJ, 1988.
- Managing fatigue by drowsiness detection: can technological promises be realised? In: L. R.Hartley (Ed.) Managing Fatigue in Transportation. Proceedings of the Third International Conference on Fatigue and Transportation, Fremantle, Western Australia. Elsevier Science Ltd, Oxford, 1988: 209–229. and
- Microcomputer analyses of performance on a portable, simple visual RT task during sustained operations. Behav. Res. Methods Instrum. Comput., 1985, 17: 652–655. and
- An Introduction to the Bootstrap. Chapman and Hall, New York, 1993. and
- SYNWORK1: a PC-based tool for assessment of performance in a simulated work environment. Behav. Res. Methods Instrum. Comput., 1994, 26: 421–426.
- Amnesia and disorders of excessive sleepiness. In: R. R.Drucker-Colin and J. L.McGaugh (Eds) Neurobiology of Sleep and Memory. Academic Press, New York, 1977: 439–456. and
- Theoretical comparison of bootstrap confidence intervals. Ann. Stat., 1988, 16: 1–50.
- ‘‘High sleepability without sleepiness’’. The ability to fall asleep rapidly without other signs of sleepiness. Neurophysiol. Clin., 1996, 26: 15–20. and
- Quantification of sleepiness: a new approach. Psychophysiology, 1973, 10: 431–436. , , , and
- The cost of sleep-related accidents: a report for the National Commission on Sleep Disorders Research. Sleep, 1994, 17: 84–93.
- The cost of sleepiness: a response to comments. Sleep, 1995, 18: 281–284.
- Performance under sleep loss and fatigue. In: S. S.Kety, E. V.Evarts and H. L.Williams (Eds) Sleep and Altered States of Consciousness. Williams and Wilkins, Baltimore, 1967: 506–513.
- Monitoring of mental performance during spaceflight. Aviat. Space Environ. Med., 2000, 71 (Suppl.): A69–A75.
- Decreased attentional responsivity during sleep deprivation: orienting response latency, amplitude, and habituation. Sleep, 1997, 20: 114–123. and
- Maintenance of wakefulness test: a polysomnographic technique for evaluation of treatment efficacy in patients with excessive somnolence. Electroencephalogr. Clin. Neurophysiol., 1982, 53: 658–661. , and
- On the effects of loss of sleep. Psychol. Rev., 1896, 3: 469–483. and
- Health in a 24-h society. Lancet, 2001, 358: 999–1005. and
- Excessive daytime sleepiness in man: multiple sleep latency measurement in narcoleptic and control subjects. Electroencephalogr. Clin. Neurophysiol., 1978, 45: 621–627. , , , , and
- Meta-analysis: a review of quantitative cumulation methods. In: F.Drasgow and N. cSchmitt (Eds) Measuring and Analyzing Behavior in Organizations: Advances in Measurement and Data Analysis. Josse-Bass, San Francisco, 2002: 534–570. , and
- Oculomotor impairment during chronic partial sleep deprivation. Clin. Neurophysiol., 2003, 114: 723–736. , , , , , , , , and
- The Walter Reed performance assessment battery. Neurobehav. Toxicol. Teratol., 1985, 7: 415–418. , , and
- Variance stabilization and the bootstrap. Biometrika, 1988, 75: 433–444.
- The cost of sleep-related accidents: a reanalysis. Sleep, 1995, 18: 276–280.
- Sleep deprivation. In: O. G.Edholm and A. L.Bacharach (Eds) The Physiology of Human Survival. Academic Press, London, 1965: 399–430.