Event-related potential measures of the disruptive effects of trains of auditory stimuli during waking and sleeping states
Version of Record online: 2 DEC 2005
Journal of Sleep Research
Volume 14, Issue 4, pages 347–357, December 2005
How to Cite
CAMPBELL, K., MICHAUD, D. S., KEITH, S. E., MULLER-GASS, A. and WIEBE, S. (2005), Event-related potential measures of the disruptive effects of trains of auditory stimuli during waking and sleeping states. Journal of Sleep Research, 14: 347–357. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2869.2005.00478.x
- Issue online: 2 DEC 2005
- Version of Record online: 2 DEC 2005
- Accepted in revised form 5 July 2005; received 5 May 2005
- The first night effect: an EEG study of sleep. Psychophysiology 1966, 2: 263–266. , and .
- Asymmetrical auditory probe evoked potentials during REM and NREM sleep. Sleep 1990, 13: 69–78. , , and .
- Atlas Task Force. EEG arousals: scoring rules and examples. A preliminary report from the sleep disorders Atlas Task Force of the American Sleep Disorders Association. Sleep 1992, 15: 174–184.
- The evoked K-complex: all-or-none phenomenon? Sleep 1992, 15: 236–245. and .
- Effect of rate of tone-pip stimulation on the evoked K-complex. J. Sleep Res. 1994, 3: 65–72. and .
- EEG characteristics prior to and following the evoked K-complex. Can. J. Exp. Psychol. 2000, 54: 255–265. , and .
- Evoked potential components unique to non-REM sleep: relationship to evoked K-Complexes and vertex sharp waves. Int. J. Psychophysiol. 2002, 46: 257–274. , and .
- Brain processing of stimulus deviance during slow-wave and paradoxical sleep: a study of human auditory evoked responses using the oddball paradigm. J. Clin. Neurophysiol. 1995, 12: 155–167. , , and .
- Event-related potentials during forced awakening: a tool for the study of acute sleep inertia. J. Sleep Res. 2003, 12: 189–203. , and .
- Cumulative effects of sleep disruption on daytime sleepiness. Physiol. Behav. 1986, 37: 915–919. .
- Decrement of the N1 auditory event-related potential with stimulus repetition: habituation vs refractoriness. Int. J. Psychophysiol. 1998, 31: 51–68. , , and .
- Event-related potential measures of the inhibition of information processing: II. The sleep onset period. Int. J. Psychophysiol. 2002, 46: 197–214. and .
- Evoked potential measures of information processing during natural sleep. In: R. J.Broughton and R. D.Ogilvie (Eds) Sleep, Arousal, and Performance. Birkhauser Press, Boston, 1992: 88–116. , and .
- The K-complex: A seven-decade history. Sleep, 2005, 28: 255–273.
- The N550 component of the evoked K-complex: a modality non-specific response? J. Sleep Res. 1999, 8: 273–280. , and .
- The impact of prestimulus EEG frequency on auditory evoked potentials during sleep onset. Can. J. Exp. Psychol. 2000a, 54: 243–254. , and .
- The roles of vertex sharp waves and K-complexes in the generation of N300 in auditory and respiratory-related evoked potentials during early stage 2 NREM sleep. Sleep 2000b, 23: 97–106. , , and .
- Scalp topography of the auditory evoked K-complex in stage 2 and slow wave sleep. J. Sleep Res. 1999, 8: 263–272. , , and .
- Neurophysiological evidence for the detection of external stimuli during sleep. Sleep 2001, 24: 791–803. , and .
- A review of the evidence for P2 being an independent component process: age, sleep and modality. Clin. Neurophys. 2004, 115: 732–744. and .
- An examination of evoked K-complex amplitude and frequency of occurrence in the elderly. J. Sleep Res. 2002, 11: 129–140. , and .
- Is the P300 component a manifestation of context updating? Behavioural and Brain Sciences, 1988, 11: 357–374. and
- Cognitive psychophysiology: the endogenous components of the ERP. In: E.Callaway, P.Tueting and S.Koslow (Eds) Event-related Brain Potentials in Man. Academic Press, New York, 1978: 349. , and .
- Neural mechanisms of involuntary attention switching to novelty and change in the acoustic environment. J. Cogn. Neurosci. 1998, 10: 590–604. , , and .
- Noise-induced Sleep Disturbance in Residential Settings (AL/OE-TR-1994-0131). Armstrong Laboratory, Occupational & Environmental Health Division (AL/OEBN), Wright Patterson Air Force Base, OH, 1994. , , , , and .
- Dissociation of temporal and frontal components in the human auditory N1 wave: a scalp current density and dipole analysis. EEG Clin. Neurophysiol. 1994, 92: 238–252. , , , , and .
- On methods in analysis of profile data. Psychometrica 1959, 24: 95–112. and .
- The nature of arousal in sleep. J. Sleep Res. 2004, 13: 1–23. , , and .
- ERP and behavioral changes during the wake/sleep transition. Psychophysiology 1994, 31: 244–252. , , , and .
- Effects of Aircraft Noise on Sleep: EEG-based Measurements. Published at http://www.cate.mmu.ac.uk/CAAreport0603.pdf (accessed 04/06/2005), 2003. , and .
- The effect of clustered versus regular sleep fragmentation on daytime function. J. Sleep Res. 1999, 8: 305–311. , , and .
- Attention and Brain Function. Erlbaum Press, Hillsdale, NJ, 1992. .
- The N1 wave of the human electric and magnetic response to sound: a review and an analysis of the component structure. Psychophysiology 1987, 24: 375–425. and .
- Increased production of evoked and spontaneous K-complexes following a single night of fragmented sleep. Sleep 2002, 25: 543–548. , and .
- Endogenous components of event-related potential appearing during NREM stage 1 and REM sleep in man. Int. J. Psychophysiol. 1994, 17: 165–174. , , and
- Behavioral, event-related potential, and EEG/FFT changes at sleep onset. Psychophysiology 1991, 28: 54–64. , , , and
- Predicting noise-induced sleep disturbance. JASA 1995, 97: 331–338. , , and .
- A differential brain response to the subject's own name persists during sleep. Clin. Neurophysiol. 1999, 110: 2153–2164. , , , .
- Human auditory sustained potentials. EEG Clin. Neurophysiol. 1978, 197 186–197. , and .
- A Manual of Standardized Terminology, Techniques and Scoring System for Sleep Stages of Human Participants. UCLA Brain Information Service/Brain Research Institute, Los Angeles, CA, 1968. and .
- The form, voltage distribution and physiological significance of the K-complex. EEG Clin. Neurophysiol. 1956, 8: 385–402. , and .
- Body motility during sleep and its relation to the K-complex. Exp. Neurol. 1968, 22: 133–144. and .
- The effect of sleep fragmentation on daytime function. Sleep 2002, 25: 268–276. .
- Nocturnal electrographic features of frequently changing-irregular sleep-wakefulness rhythms. Int. J. Neurosci. 1981, 14: 227–237. .
- Construction noise control program and mitigation strategy at the Central Artery/Tunnel Project. Noise Control Eng. J. 2000, 48: 157–165. .
- Habituation: a model phenomenon for the study of the neuronal substrates of behavior. Psychophysiol. Rev. 1966, 173: 16–43 and .
- Information processing and coping style during the wake/sleep transition. J. Sleep Res. 1998, 7: 225–232. and .