Variability and predictability in sleep patterns of chronic insomniacs
Version of Record online: 2 DEC 2005
Journal of Sleep Research
Volume 14, Issue 4, pages 447–453, December 2005
How to Cite
VALLIÈRES, A., IVERS, H., BASTIEN, C. H., BEAULIEU-BONNEAU, S. and MORIN, C. M. (2005), Variability and predictability in sleep patterns of chronic insomniacs. Journal of Sleep Research, 14: 447–453. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2869.2005.00480.x
- Issue online: 2 DEC 2005
- Version of Record online: 2 DEC 2005
- Accepted in revised form 5 July 2005; received 1 November 2004
- American Psychiatric Association. Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, 4th edn. American Psychiatric Association, Washington, DC, 1994.
- Validation of the Insomnia Severity Index as an outcome measure for insomnia research. Sleep Med. 2001, 2: 297–307. , and .
- An inventory for measuring clinical anxiety: psychometric properties. J. Consult. Clin. Psychol. 1988a , 56: 893–897. , , and .
- Psychometric properties of Beck Depression Inventory: twenty-five years of evaluation. Clin. Psychol. Rev. 1988b , 8: 77–100. , and .
- Homeostatic process and sleep spindles in patients with sleep-maintenance insomnia: effect of partial (21 h) sleep deprivation. Electroencephalogr. Clin. Neurophysiol. 1998, 107: 122–132. , , and .
- First night effects in good sleepers and sleep-maintenance insomniacs when recorded at home. Sleep 1981, 4: 293–298. , , , , and .
- Estimating sleep parameters: a multitrait-multimethod analysis. J. Consult. Clin. Psychol. 1982, 50: 345–352. , , , , and .
- Sleep variability across consecutive nights of home monitoring in older mixed DIMS patients. Sleep 1991, 14: 13–17. , , , and .
- A cognitive-behavioral therapy for sleep-maintenance insomnia in older adults. Psychol. Aging 1992, 7: 282–289. , , , and .
- Sleep in the laboratory and sleep at home: comparisons of older insomniacs and normal sleepers. Sleep 1997, 20: 1119–1126. , , , , , , , , and .
- Insomnia: conceptual issues in the development, persistence, and treatment of sleep disorder in adults. Annu. Rev. Psychol. 2002, 53: 215–243. .
- A controlled comparative investigation of psychological treatments for chronic sleep-onset insomnia. Behav. Res. Ther. 1989, 27: 79–88. , , , and .
- Structured Clinical Interview for DSM-IV Axis I Disorders, Clinical Version (SCID-IV). Washington, DC: American Psychiatric Association 1997. , , and .
- Recorded and reported sleep in chronic primary insomnia. Arch. Gen. Psychiatry 1976, 33: 615–623. , , and .
- Wrist actigraphy in insomnia. Sleep 1992, 15: 293–301. and .
- Research Design in Clinical Psychology, 3rd edn. Allyn and Bacon Publishers, Needham Heights, 1998. .
- Insomnia: Psychological Assessment and Management. Guilford Press, New York, 1993. .
- Insomnia: A Clinical Guide to Assessment and Treatment. Kluwer Academic/Plenum Publishers, New York, 2003. and .
- Role of stress, arousal and coping skills in primary insomnia. Psychosom. Med. 2003, 65: 259–267. , and .
- Wrist-actigraphic estimation of sleep time. Sleep 1980, 13: 83–92. , and .
- Epidemiology of insomnia: what we know and what we still need to learn. Sleep Med. Rev. 2002, 6: 97–111. .
- Missing data: a conceptual review for applied psychologists. Pers. Psychol. 1994, 47: 537–560. .
- SAS Institute. SAS/STAT User's Guide, version 8, Vol. 1–3. SAS Institute, Cary, NC, 2001.
- Detecting insomnia: comparison of four self-report measures of sleep in a young adult population. J. Sleep Res. 2001, 10: 229–235. and .
- Using Multivariate Statistics, 4th edn. HarperrCollins College Publishers, New York, 2001. and .
- Actigraphy in the assessment of insomnia. Sleep 2003, 7: 902–906. and .
- Sequential combinations of drug and cognitive behavioral therapy for chronic insomnia: an exploratory study. Behav. Res. Ther., in press. , and .