Impaired decision making following 49 h of sleep deprivation
Version of Record online: 20 FEB 2006
Journal of Sleep Research
Volume 15, Issue 1, pages 7–13, March 2006
How to Cite
KILLGORE, W. D. S., BALKIN, T. J. and WESENSTEN, N. J. (2006), Impaired decision making following 49 h of sleep deprivation. Journal of Sleep Research, 15: 7–13. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2869.2006.00487.x
- Issue online: 20 FEB 2006
- Version of Record online: 20 FEB 2006
- Accepted in revised form 20 August 2005; received 13 January 2005
- Neurobiology of decision-making: risk and reward. Semin. Clin. Neuropsychiatry, 2001, 6: 205–216.
- Decision-making and addiction (part I): impaired activation of somatic states in substance dependent individuals when pondering decisions with negative future consequences. Neuropsychologia, 2002, 40: 1675–1689. and
- Insensitivity to future consequences following damage to human prefrontal cortex. Cognition, 1994, 50: 7–15. , , and
- Deciding advantageously before knowing the advantageous strategy. Science, 1997, 275: 1293–1295. , , and
- Different contributions of the human amygdala and ventromedial prefrontal cortex to decision-making. J. Neurosci., 1999, 19: 5473–5481. , , and
- Emotion, decision making and the orbitofrontal cortex. Cereb. Cortex, 2000a, 10: 295–307. , and
- Characterization of the decision-making deficit of patients with ventromedial prefrontal cortex lesions. Brain, 2000b, 123 (Pt 11): 2189–2202. , and
- Short-term total sleep deprivations does not selectively impair higher cortical functioning. Sleep, 1999, 22: 328–334. , and
- Descartes’ Error: Emotion, Reason and the Human Brain. Grosset/Putnam, New York, 1994.
- The somatic marker hypothesis and the possible functions of the prefrontal cortex. Philos. Trans. R. Soc. Lond. B Biol. Sci., 1996, 351: 1413–1420.
- Cumulative sleepiness, mood disturbance, and psychomotor vigilance performance decrements during a week of sleep restricted to 4–5 hours per night. Sleep, 1997, 20: 267–277. , , , , , , and
- Increasing task difficulty facilitates the cerebral compensatory response to total sleep deprivation. Sleep, 2004, 27: 445–451. , , and
- Effects of sleep deprivation on short duration performance measures compared to the Wilkinson auditory vigilance task. Sleep, 1978, 1: 169–176. , , and
- Sleep loss impairs short and novel language tasks having a prefrontal focus. J. Sleep Res., 1998, 7: 95–100. and
- The impact of sleep deprivation on decision making: a review. J. Exp. Psychol. Appl., 2000, 6: 236–249. and
- Sleep loss and ‘‘divergent’’ thinking ability. Sleep, 1988, 11: 528–536.
- Effects of sleep deprivation on signal detection measures of vigilance: implications for sleep function. Sleep, 1983, 6: 347–358. , and
- Effects of dietary caffeine on mood when rested and sleep restricted. Hum. Psychopharmacol., 2004, 19: 333–341. and
- Frontal lobe function, sleep loss and fragmented sleep. Sleep Med. Rev., 2001, 5: 463–475. and
- Mechanisms of conflict resolution in prefrontal cortex. In: D. T.Stuss and R. T.Knight (Eds) Principles of Frontal Lobe Function. Oxford University Press, New York, 2002: 233–245. , , , and
- Neuropsychological Assessment. Oxford University Press, New York, 1995.
- The effect of one night without sleep on problem-solving and immediate recall. Psychol. Res., 1992, 54: 127–136. and
- Young hospital doctors after night duty: their task-specific cognitive status and emotional condition. Med. Educ., 1994, 28: 566–572. , , , , and
- Orbitofrontal cortex and human drug abuse: functional imaging. Cereb. Cortex, 2000, 10: 334–342. , , , and
- The frontal predominance in human EEG delta activity after sleep loss decreases with age. Eur. J. Neurosci., 2004, 20: 1402–1410. , , , , , , and
- Less effective executive functioning after one night's sleep deprivation. J. Sleep Res., 2005, 14: 1–6. , , , , , and
- Age, performance and sleep deprivation. J. Sleep Res., 2004, 13: 105–110. , , , , , , and
- Dissociating executive functions of the prefrontal cortex. In: A. C.Roberts, T. W.Robbins and L.Weiskrantz (Eds) The Prefrontal Cortex: Executive and Cognitive Functions. Oxford, New York, 1998: 117–130.
- [Inhibition and working memory: effect of acute sleep deprivation on a random letter generation task]. Can. J. Exp. Psychol., 2003, 57: 265–273. , , , and
- Neural basis of alertness and cognitive performance impairments during sleepiness. I. Effects of 24 h of sleep deprivation on waking human regional brain activity. J. Sleep Res., 2000, 9: 335–352. , , , , , , , , , , , and
- Neural basis of alertness and cognitive performance impairments during sleepiness II. Effects of 48 and 72 h of sleep deprivation on waking human regional brain activity. Thalamus Relat. Syst., 2003, 2: 199–229. , , , , , , , , , , , and
- A further analysis of age and sleep deprivation effects. Psychophysiology, 1985, 22: 156–161.
- Age, sleep deprivation, and performance. Psychophysiology, 1982, 19: 272–276. and
- Modafinil vs. caffeine: effects on fatigue during sleep deprivation. Aviat. Space Environ. Med., 2004, 75: 520–525. , , , and
- Performance and alertness effects of caffeine, dextroamphetamine, and modafinil during sleep deprivation. J. Sleep Res., 2005, 14: 255–266. , and
- The effects of sleep deprivation on divergent thinking and attention processes. J. Sleep Res., 1992, 1: 223–230. , , and
- The effects of sleep loss on medical residents’ emotional reactions to work events: a cognitive-energy model. Sleep, 2005, 28: 47–54. , , and