Evaluating the awakening criterion in the definition of nightmares: how certain are people in judging whether a nightmare woke them up?
Article first published online: 16 MAY 2006
Journal of Sleep Research
Volume 15, Issue 2, pages 117–124, June 2006
How to Cite
BLAGROVE, M. and HAYWOOD, S. (2006), Evaluating the awakening criterion in the definition of nightmares: how certain are people in judging whether a nightmare woke them up?. Journal of Sleep Research, 15: 117–124. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2869.2006.00507.x
- Issue published online: 16 MAY 2006
- Article first published online: 16 MAY 2006
- Accepted in revised form 30 November 2005; received 29 November 2004
- American Psychiatric Association. Diagnosis and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, 4th edn. APA, Washington, DC, 1994.
- American Sleep Disorders Association. International Classification of Sleep Disorders: Diagnosis and Coding Manual, Revised. ASDA, Rochester, MN, 1997.
- How dream recall frequency shapes people's beliefs about the content of their dreams. North Am. J. Psychol., 2005a, 7: 253–264. and
- Dream recall frequency and attitude towards dreams: a reinterpretation of the relation. Pers. Individ. Dif., 2005b, 38: 919–927. and
- Nightmare frequency versus nightmare distress: relations to psychopathology and cognitive style. J. Abnorm. Psychol., 1992a, 101: 592–597.
- The relationship of nightmare frequency to nightmare suffering with implications for treatment and research. Dreaming, 1992b, 2: 143–148.
- Predisposition for nightmares: a study of hypnotic ability, vividness of imagery, and absorption. J. Clin. Psychol., 1986, 42: 714–718. and
- The relationship of nightmare frequency and nightmare distress to well-being. J. Sleep Res., 2004, 13: 129–136. , and
- Individual differences in self-reported sleep variable correlations among nightmare sufferers. J. Clin. Psychol., 1978, 34: 721–725. and
- Correlation: Parametric and Nonparametric Measures. Sage, Thousand Oaks, CA, 2002. and
- Nonwaking responses to waking stressors: dreams and nightmares. J. Appl. Soc. Psychol., 1990, 20: 199–226. , and
- Insomnia and the eye of the beholder: are there clinical markers of objective sleep disturbances among adults with and without insomnia complaints? J. Consult. Clin. Psychol., 2000, 68: 586–593. , , , , , , , , , and
- Protocol Analysis: Verbal Reports as Data (revised edition). MIT Press, Cambridge, MA, 1993. and
- A psychophysiological study of nightmares. J. Am. Psychoanal. Assoc., 1970, 18: 747–782. , , and
- Individual differences in mental activity at sleep onset. J. Abnorm. Psychol., 1966, 71: 280–286. , and
- Sleep pathophysiology in posttraumatic stress disorder and idiopathic nightmare sufferers. Biol. Psychiatry, 2003, 54: 1092–1098. and
- Personality and dreaming: boundary structure and dream content. Dreaming, 1998, 8: 31–39.
- Nightmares: etiological, theoretical and behavioral treatment considerations. Psychol. Rec., 1975, 25: 225–236. and
- Personality characteristics of nightmare sufferers. J. Nerv. Ment. Dis., 1971, 153: 27–31.
- Reality monitoring: an experimental phenomenological approach. J. Exp. Psychol. Gen., 1988, 117: 390–394.
- Experimentally induced arousals during sleep: a cross-modality matching paradigm. J. Sleep Res., 2004, 13: 229–238. , and
- Changes in chronic nightmares after one session of desensitization or rehearsal instructions. Am. J. Psychiatry, 1992, 149: 659–663. , , and
- Behavioral effects of nightmares and their correlations to personality patterns. Dreaming, 2001, 11: 43–52. and
- A controlled comparison of self-rated sleep complaints in acute and chronic nightmare sufferers. J. Nerv. Ment. Dis., 1995, 183: 623–627. , , and
- Nightmare frequency in sexual assault survivors with PTSD. J. Anxiety Disord., 2002, 16: 175–190. , , , , , and
- Correlations of splitting and phobic anxiety with dreaming. Percept. Mot. Skills, 1997, 85: 333–334. , and
- Sleep and dream characteristics of frequent nightmare subjects in a university population. Dreaming, 1994, 4: 127–137.
- Nightmares and schizotypy. Psychiatry, 1998, 61: 206–216.
- Nightmare prevalence, nightmare distress, and self-reported psychological disturbance. Sleep, 2002a, 25: 205–212. and
- Phenomenal qualities of nightmare experience in a prospective study of college students. Dreaming, 2002b, 12: 109–120. and
- Asymptotic behavior of Kendall's partial rank correlation coefficient and additional quartile estimates. J. Stat. Comput. Simul., 1981, 13: 41–48. and
- Effects of time of night and sleep stage on perception of sleep in subjects with sleep state misperception. Psychobiology, 1998, 26: 73–78.
- Treatment of nightmares via relaxation and desensitization: a controlled evaluation. J. Consult. Clin. Psychol., 1983, 51: 870–877. and
- Nightmares and anxiety in elementary-aged children: is there a relationship? Child Care Health Dev., 2002, 28: 317–322. and
- Affective and personality characteristics in function of nightmare prevalence, nightmare distress, and interference due to nightmares. Dreaming, 2005, 15: 89–105. and
- Nightmare frequency, nightmare distress, and anxiety. Percept. Mot. Skills, 2002, 95: 219–225. , , and
- Development of disturbing dreams during adolescence and their relation to anxiety symptoms. Sleep, 2000, 23: 727–736. , , , , and
- Telling more than we can know: verbal reports on mental processes. Psychol. Rev., 1977, 84: 231–259. and
- Prevalence of nightmares and their relationships to psychopathology and daytime functioning in insomnia subjects. Sleep, 1997, 20: 340–348. , and
- Effects of trait and state factors on nightmare frequency. Eur. Arch. Psychiatry Clin. Neurosci., 2003, 253: 241–247.
- Anxiety dreams in school-aged children. Dreaming, 1996, 6: 265–270. , and
- Manual for the State-Trait Anxiety Inventory. Consulting Psychologists Press, Palo Alto, 1983. .
- Daydream styles and sleep disturbance. J. Nerv. Ment. Dis., 1976, 163: 391–400. and
- Qualitative effects of rehearsal on memories for perceived and imagined complex events. J. Exp. Psychol. Gen., 1988, 117: 377–389. and
- Nightmares as predictors of suicide. Sleep, 2001, 24: 844–847. , , , , and
- Judgment under uncertainty: heuristics and biases. Science, 1974, 185: 1124–1131. and
- The prevalence of nightmares and their independence from anxiety. J. Abnorm. Psychol., 1990, 99: 64–68. and
- Effects of the 1989 San Francisco earthquake on frequency and content of nightmares. J. Abnorm. Psychol., 1992, 101: 219–234. , , , and
- Laboratory sleep correlates of nightmare complaint in PTSD inpatients. Biol. Psychiatry, 2000, 48: 1081–1087. , , and
- Nightmares and bad dreams: their prevalence and relationship to well-being. J. Abnorm. Psychol., 2000, 109: 273–281. and
- Affective content and intensity of nightmares and bad dreams. Sleep (abstr suppl), 2003, 26: A93–A94. and
- Trait anxiety and its relation to nightmares, bad dreams and dream content. Sleep Res., 1995, 24: 150. , , and