Improving actigraphic sleep estimates in insomnia and dementia: how many nights?
Article first published online: 17 AUG 2007
Journal of Sleep Research
Volume 16, Issue 3, pages 269–275, September 2007
How to Cite
VAN SOMEREN, E. J. W. (2007), Improving actigraphic sleep estimates in insomnia and dementia: how many nights?. Journal of Sleep Research, 16: 269–275. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2869.2007.00592.x
- Issue published online: 17 AUG 2007
- Article first published online: 17 AUG 2007
- Accepted in revised form 15 March 2007; received 19 August 2006
- Estimating sleep patterns with activity monitoring in children and adolescents: how many nights are necessary for reliable measures? Sleep, 1999, 22: 95–103. , , , , , and
- The first night effect: an EEG study of sleep. Psychophysiology, 1966, 2: 263–266. , and
- American Psychiatric Association. DSM-IV: Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, 4th edn. American Psychiatric Press, Washington, DC, 1994.
- Use of wrist activity for monitoring sleep/wake in demented nursing-home patients. Sleep, 1997, 20: 24–27. , , , and
- The role of actigraphy in the study of sleep and circadian rhythms. Sleep, 2003, 26: 342–392. , , , , and
- Ambulatory evaluation of sleep disturbance and therapeutic effects in sleep apnea syndrome by wrist activity monitoring. Am. Rev. Respir. Dis., 1987, 136: 851–856. , , and
- Statistical analysis of multiple-choice exams. J. Chem. Ed., 1980, 57: 188–190.
- Use of the wrist actigraph to study insomnia in older adults. Sleep, 1993, 16: 151–155. , , and
- Recommendations for a standard research assessment of insomnia. Sleep, 2006, 29: 1155–1173. , , , and
- Strong association of the rest–activity rhythm with well-being in demented elderly women. Am. J. Geriatr. Psychiatry, 2007, 15: 92–100. , , , and
- Actigraphy and insomnia: a closer look. Part 1. Sleep, 1994, 17: 405–408.
- A comparison of wrist actigraphy with polysomnography as an instrument of sleep detection in elderly persons. Sleep, 2000, 23: A378. , , , , , and
- Diagnostic Classification Steering Committee T. M. J., Chairman. ICSD – International classification of sleep disorders: diagnostic and coding manual. American Sleep Disorders Association, Rochester, MN, 1990.
- Sleep variability across consecutive nights of home monitoring in older mixed DIMS patients. Sleep, 1991, 14: 13–17. , , , and
- Derivation of research diagnostic criteria for insomnia: report of an American Academy of Sleep Medicine Work Group. Sleep, 2004, 27: 1567–1596. , , , , , , , , and
- ‘Mini-mental state’: a practical method for grading the cognitive state of patients for the clinician. J. Psychiatr. Res., 1975, 12: 189–198. , and
- An actigraphic comparison of sleep restriction and sleep hygiene treatments for insomnia in older adults. J. Geriatr. Psychiatry Neurol., 2000, 13: 17–27. , , , , , , and
- Comparison between informant observed and actigraphic assessment of sleep–wake rhythm disturbances in demented residents of homes for the elderly. Am. J. Geriatr. Psychiatry, 2006, 14: 104–111. , , , and
- Age-associated difference in circadian sleep–wake and rest–activity rhythms. Physiol. Behav., 2002, 76: 597–603. , , , , and
- Sleep movements and poor sleep in patients with non-specific somatic complaints–I. No first-night effect in poor and good sleepers. J. Psychosom. Res., 1987, 31: 623–629. , and
- Comparison of actigraphic, polysomnographic, and subjective assessment of sleep parameters in sleep-disordered patients. Sleep Med., 2001, 2: 389–396. , , , , and
- Quantitative criteria for insomnia. Behav. Res. Ther., 2003, 41: 427–445. , , , and
- Practice parameters for the role of actigraphy in the study of sleep and circadian rhythms: an update for 2002. Sleep, 2003, 26: 337–341. , , , , , , , , , , and
- Consensus guidelines for the clinical and pathologic diagnosis of dementia with Lewy bodies (DLB): report of the consortium on DLB international workshop. Neurology, 1996, 47: 1113–1124. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- Clinical diagnosis of Alzheimer’s disease: report of the NINCDS-ADRDA Work Group under the auspices of Department of Health and Human Services Task Force on Alzheimer’s Disease. Neurology, 1984, 34: 939–944. , , , , and
- Actigraphic home-monitoring sleep-disturbed and control infants and young children: a new method for pediatric assessment of sleep–wake patterns. Pediatrics, 1991, 87: 494–499. , , , and
- The role of actigraphy in the evaluation of sleep disorders. Sleep, 1995, 18: 288–302. , , and
- Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation (TENS) improves the rest–activity rhythm in midstage Alzheimer’s disease. Behav. Brain Res., 1999, 101: 105–107. , and
- A comparison of actigraphy and polysomnography in older adults treated for chronic primary insomnia. Sleep, 2006, 29: 1353–1358. , , , , , , and
- Variability and predictability in sleep patterns of chronic insomniacs. J. Sleep Res., 2005, 14: 447–453. , , , and
- Ambulatory activity monitoring during sleep: an evaluation of internight and intrasubject variability in healthy persons aged 50–98 years. Sleep, 1993, 16: 146–150. , , , , and
- Evaluation of wireless determination of skin temperature using iButtons. Physiol. Behav., 2006, 88: 489–497. , , , , , and
- Ambulatory monitoring of tremor and other movements before and after thalamotomy: a new quantitative technique. J. Neurol. Sci., 1993, 117: 16–23. , , , and
- Gravitational artefact in frequency spectra of movement acceleration: implications for actigraphy in young and elderly subjects. J. Neurosci. Methods, 1996, 65: 55–62. , , , and
- A new actigraph for long-term registration of the duration and intensity of tremor and movement. IEEE Trans. Biomed. Eng., 1998, 45: 386–395. , , , , , and
- Bright light therapy: improved sensitivity to its effects on rest–activity rhythms in Alzheimer patients by application of nonparametric methods. Chronobiol. Int., 1999, 16: 505–518. , , , , and
- A new actigraph for long-term tremor recording. Mov. Disord., 2006, 21: 1136–1143. , , , , and
- How many repeated measures in repeated measures designs? Statistical issues for comparative trials. BMC Med. Res. Methodol., 2003, 3: 22.