Trait interindividual differences in the sleep physiology of healthy young adults
Article first published online: 31 MAY 2007
Journal of Sleep Research
Volume 16, Issue 2, pages 170–180, June 2007
How to Cite
TUCKER, A. M., DINGES, D. F. and VAN DONGEN, H. P. A. (2007), Trait interindividual differences in the sleep physiology of healthy young adults. Journal of Sleep Research, 16: 170–180. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2869.2007.00594.x
Our sample of 21 subjects was not large enough to yield normative data for this population or to establish the exact frequency distribution of the interindividual differences. Further work along the lines of the studies by Ohayon et al. (2004) and Merica and Gaillard (1985), respectively, would be needed for those purposes.
- Issue published online: 31 MAY 2007
- Article first published online: 31 MAY 2007
- Accepted in revised form 16 April 2007; received 18 September 2006
Vol. 23, Issue 3, 361, Article first published online: 14 MAY 2014
- Homeostatic sleep regulation in habitual short sleepers and long sleepers. Am. J. Physiol., 1996, 270: R41–R53. , , and
- Relationship of age to power spectrum analysis of EEG during sleep. J. Clin. Neurophysiol., 1992, 9: 424–430. and
- A prospective study of self-reported sleep duration and incident diabetes in women. Diabetes Care, 2003a, 26: 380–384. , , , , , , and
- A prospective study of sleep duration and coronary heart disease in women. Arch. Intern. Med., 2003b, 163: 205–209. , , , , , and
- Acute sleep deprivation. In: M. H.Kryger, T.Roth and W. C.Dement (Eds) Principles and Practice of Sleep Medicine, 4th edn. Elsevier Saunders, Philadelphia, 2005: 51–66.
- Sleep homeostasis and models of sleep regulation. In: M. H.Kryger, T.Roth and W. C.Dement (Eds) Principles and Practice of Sleep Medicine, 4th edn. Elsevier Saunders, Philadelphia, 2005: 405–417. and
- Trait-like individual differences in the human sleep electroencephalogram. Neuroscience, 2006, 138: 351–356. , , and
- Extending the simple linear regression model to account for correlated responses: an introduction to generalized estimating equations and multi-level mixed modelling. Stat. Med., 1998, 17: 1261–1291. , and
- Frontal predominance of a relative increase in sleep delta and theta EEG activity after sleep loss in humans. Sleep Res. Online, 1999, 2: 65–69. , and
- Factor analysis: an overview. Am. Stat., 1983, 37: 141–147.
- Multiple comparisons: philosophies and illustrations. Am. J. Physiol. Regul. Integr. Comp. Physiol., 2000, 279: R1–R8.
- Timing of REM sleep is coupled to the circadian rhythm of body temperature in man. Sleep, 1980, 2: 329–346. , , , and
- An electroencephalographic fingerprint of human sleep. NeuroImage, 2005, 26: 114–122. , , , and
- Differential effects of prior wakefulness and circadian phase on nap sleep. Electroencephalogr. Clin. Neurophysiol., 1986, 64: 224–227.
- Physiologic correlates of sleep deprivation. In: J. M.Kinney and H. N.Tucker (Eds) Physiology, Stress, and Malnutrition: Functional Correlates, Nutritional Intervention. Lippincott-Raven, New York, 1997: 1–27. and
- Effects of age on delta and REM sleep parameters. Electroencephalogr. Clin. Neurophysiol., 1989, 72: 118–125. and
- Period and amplitude analysis of 0.5–3 c/sec activity in NREM sleep of young adults. Electroencephalogr. Clin. Neurophysiol., 1978, 44: 202–213. , , , , and
- Period and amplitude analysis of NREM EEG in sleep: repeatability of results in young adults. Electroencephalogr. Clin. Neurophysiol., 1980, 48: 212–221. , and
- Individual “fingerprints” in human sleep EEG topography. Neuropsychopharmacology, 2001, 25: S57–S62. , and
- Age-related modifications of NREM sleep EEG: from childhood to middle age. J. Sleep Res., 2001, 10: 165–172. , and
- Gender differences in polysomnographic sleep in young healthy sleepers. Chronobiol. Int., 2005, 22: 905–915. , and
- Association of usual sleep duration with hypertension: the Sleep Heart Health Study. Sleep, 2006, 29: 1009–1014. , , , , and
- The association between short sleep duration and obesity in young adults: a 13-year prospective study. Sleep, 2004, 27: 661–666. , , , , , , and
- Sleep characteristics in twins. Jpn. J. Psychiat. Neurol., 1986, 40: 35–46.
- Interindividual variation in sleep duration and its association with sleep debt in young adults. Sleep, 2005, 28: 1253–1259. and
- The measurement of observer agreement for categorical data. Biometrics, 1977, 33: 159–174. and
- EEG sleep patterns in twins. J. Sleep Res., 1999, 8(Suppl. 1): 11–13.
- Applying and Interpreting Statistics: A Comprehensive Guide, 2nd edn. Springer, New York, 2001.
- Statistical description and evaluation of the interrelationships of standard sleep variables for normal subjects. Sleep, 1985, 8: 261–273. and
- National Center on Sleep Disorders Research. 2003 National Sleep Disorders Research Plan. NIH Publication no. 03-5209. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Washington, DC, 2003.
- Meta-analysis of quantitative sleep parameters from childhood to old age in healthy individuals: developing normative sleep values across the human lifespan. Sleep, 2004, 27: 1255–1273. , , and
- Independence of sleep EEG responses to GABAergic hypnotics: biological implications. J. Psychiat. Res., 2000, 34: 293–300. , , , and
- Are there ethnic differences in sleep architecture? Am. J. Human Biol., 2002, 14: 321–326. , and
- Variance Components Estimation. Mixed Models, Methodologies and Applications. Chapman and Hall, London, 1997.
- Relationship between ethnicity and sleep patterns in normal controls: implications for psychopathology and treatment. J. Psychiat. Res., 1999, 33: 419–426. , , , , and
- A Manual of Standardized Terminology, Techniques, and Scoring System for Sleep Stages of Human Subjects. UCLA Brain Information Service, Los Angeles, 1968. and
- The effects of age, sex, ethnicity, and sleep-disordered breathing on sleep architecture. Arch. Intern. Med., 2004, 164: 406–418. , , , , and
- A functional genetic variation of adenosine deaminase affects the duration and intensity of deep sleep in humans. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U S A, 2005, 102: 15676–15681. , , , , , , and
- Sex differences in the polysomnographic sleep of young adults: a community-based study. Sleep Med., 2006, 7: 49–53. , , and
- Effect of ethnicity on sleep: complexities for epidemiologic research. Sleep, 2003, 26: 329–332. , and
- High internight reliability of computer-measured NREM delta, sigma, and beta: biological implications. Biol. Psychiatry, 2000, 48: 1010–1019. , , and
- Internight reliability and benchmark values for computer analyses of non-rapid eye movement (NREM) and REM EEG in normal young adult and elderly subjects. Clin. Neurophysiol., 2001, 112: 1540–1552. , and
- Functional EEG topography in sleep and waking: state-dependent and state-independent features. NeuroImage, 2006, 32: 283–292. , , , and
- Mixed-model regression analysis and dealing with interindividual differences. Methods Enzymol., 2004c, 384: 139–171. , , and
- Systematic interindividual differences in neurobehavioral impairment from sleep loss: evidence of trait-like differential vulnerability. Sleep, 2004a, 27: 423–433. , , and
- Dealing with inter-individual differences in the temporal dynamics of fatigue and performance: importance and techniques. Aviat. Space Environ. Med., 2004b, 75: A147–A154. , and
- Individual differences in adult human sleep and wakefulness: Leitmotif for a research agenda. Sleep, 2005, 28: 479–496. , and
- Sleep duration and breast cancer: a prospective cohort study. Cancer Res., 2005, 65: 9595–9600. , , , , , and
- Rebuttal. Sleep, 2005, 28: 1232–1233. and
- Measurement and characteristics of nocturnal sleep. In: L. E.Abt and B. F.Riess (Eds) Progress in Clinical Psychology, Vol. 8. Grune and Stratton, New York, 1968, 2–27. and .
- Relationships in sleep characteristics of identical and fraternal twins. Arch. Gen. Psychiatry, 1983, 40: 1093–1095. and
- State and trait correlates of sleep stages. Psychol. Rep., 1976, 38: 1181–1182. , and
- Spindle frequency activity in the sleep EEG: individual differences and topographic distribution. Electroencephalogr. Clin. Neurophysiol., 1997, 103: 535–542. , , and
- Ceiling and floor effects in sleep research. Sleep Med. Rev., 2003, 7: 351–365.
- Sleep and dream patterns in twins: Markov analysis of a genetic trait. Recent Adv. Biol. Psychiatry, 1966, 9: 119–130. and