Trends in self-reported sleep duration and insomnia-related symptoms in Finland from 1972 to 2005: a comparative review and re-analysis of Finnish population samples
Article first published online: 11 FEB 2008
© 2008 European Sleep Research Society
Journal of Sleep Research
Volume 17, Issue 1, pages 54–62, March 2008
How to Cite
KRONHOLM, E., PARTONEN, T., LAATIKAINEN, T., PELTONEN, M., HÄRMÄ, M., HUBLIN, C., KAPRIO, J., ARO, A. R., PARTINEN, M., FOGELHOLM, M., VALVE, R., VAHTERA, J., OKSANEN, T., KIVIMÄKI, M., KOSKENVUO, M. and SUTELA, H. (2008), Trends in self-reported sleep duration and insomnia-related symptoms in Finland from 1972 to 2005: a comparative review and re-analysis of Finnish population samples. Journal of Sleep Research, 17: 54–62. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2869.2008.00627.x
- Issue published online: 11 FEB 2008
- Article first published online: 11 FEB 2008
- Accepted in revised form 31 October 2007; received 30 July 2007
- Sleep disturbances, work stress and work hours: a cross-sectional study. J. Psychosom. Res., 2002, 53: 741–748. , , , , and
- Historical change in the report of daytime fatigue [editorial]. Sleep, 1996, 19: 462–464.
- Prevalence of self-reported poor sleep in a healthy population aged 50-65. Soc. Sci. Med., 1992, 34: 49–55. , , and
- We are chronically sleep deprived. Sleep, 1995, 18: 908–911. and
- Can sleep be bad for you? Can insomnia be good? Arch. Gen. Psychiatry, 2002, 59: 137–138.
- Genetics of normal and pathological sleep in humans. Sleep Med. Rev., 2005, 9: 91–100. , and
- Sleep debt and scientific evidence (editorial). Sleep, 2004, 27: 1050–1052.
- Sleep we have lost: pre-industrial slumber in the British isles. Am. Hist. Rev., 2001, 106: 343–386.
- How much sleep do we need? Sleep Med. Rev., 2001, 5: 155–179. and
- The homeostatic regulation of sleep need is under genetic control. J. Neurosci., 2001, 21: 2610–2621. , and
- Sleep and quality of well-being. Sleep, 2000, 23: 1115–1121. , and
- Sleep quantity, sleep difficulties and their perceived consequences in a representative sample of some 2000 British adults. J. Sleep Res., 2004, 13: 359–371. , and
- Work demands, working times and sleep among information technology profession (in Finnish). Sitra Reports 22, Helsinki, 2002. , , and
- Should we be taking more sleep? Sleep, 1995, 18: 901–907. and
- The sleep duration and sleep satisfaction of college students: striking changes over the last decade (1978-1988). Percept. Mot. Skills, 1989, 68: 806. , , , and
- Is there a sleep debt? Sleep, 2004, 27: 1047–1049.
- How does Finland sleep? (in Finnish) Kela, M. L.: 68, Turku, 1987. and (Eds)
- Work Related Fatigue in Finnish Working Aged Population (in Finnish). Finnish Institute of Occupational Health, Helsinki, 1997. and
- Job stress and sleep disorders: findings from Helsinki Herat Study. Stress Med., 2000, 16: 65–75. , , , and
- Genetic and environmental factors in complex diseases: the older Finnish twin cohort. Twin Res., 2002, 5: 358–365. and
- The Finnish Twin Registry: formation and compilation, questionnaire study, zygosity determination procedures and research program. Prog. Clin. Biol. Res., 1978, 24B: 179–184. , , and
- Effort-reward imbalance, procedural injustice and relational injustice as psychosocial predictors of health: complementary or redundant models?. Occup. Environ. Med., 2007, 64: 659–665. , , , and
- Interindividual variation in sleep duration and its association with sleep debt in young adults. Sleep, 2005, 28: 1253–1259. and
- Non-response and related factors in a nation-wide health survey. Eur. J. Epidemiol., 2001, 17: 991–999. , , , , , and
- Do we sleep too much? Comment on Tamakoshi A; Ohno Y. Self-reported sleep duration as a predictor of all-cause mortality: results from the JACC study, Japan. Sleep 2004; 27: 13–14.
- Short and long sleep and sleeping pills. Is increased mortality associated? Arch. Gen. Psychiatry, 1979, 36: 103–116. , , and
- Self-reported sleep duration in Finnish general population J. Sleep Res., 2006; 15: 276–290. , , , and
- Is society sleep deprived? Sleep, 1995, 18: 901.
- Objectively measured sleep characteristics among early-middle-aged adults – The CARDIA study. Am. J. Epidemiol., 2006, 164: 5–16. , , , , , and
- EEG sleep patterns in twins. J Sleep Res, 1999, 8(Suppl. 1): 11–13.
- National Agency for Medicines and Social Insurance Institution. Finnish Statistics on Medicines 2005. National Agency for Medicines and Social Insurance Institution, Helsinki, 2006.
- National Sleep Foundation. Sleep in America Poll. National Sleep Foundation, URL http://www.sleepfoundation.org, 2003.
- Interactions between sleep normative data and sociocultural characteristics in the elderly. J. Psychosom. Res., 2004, 56: 479–486.
- Genetic and environmental determination of human sleep. Sleep, 1983, 6: 179–185. , , , and
- Changes in diet in Finland from 1972 to 1992: impact on coronary heart disease risk. Prev. Med., 1996, 25: 243–250. , , , and
- Health habits of U.S. adults, 1985: the “Alameda 7” revisited. Public Health Rep., 1986, 101: 571–580.
- Sleep duration and health in young adults. Arch. Intern. Med., 2006, 166: 1689–1692. , and
- Sleep disturbances as a predictor of long-term increase in sickness absence among employees after family death or illness. Sleep, 2006, 29: 673–682. , , and
- Sleep as a mediator of the relationship between socioeconomic status and health: a hypothesis. Ann. N. Y. Acad. Sci., 1999, 896: 254–261. and
- Are we chronically sleep deprived? Bull. Psychon. Soc., 1975, 6: 47–48. and
- Long sleep and mortality: have we been chasing the wrong tail? Sleep Med. Rev., 2004a, 8: 175–176. and
- Long sleep and mortality: rationale for sleep restriction. Sleep Med. Rev., 2004b, 8: 159–174. and