Changes in the density of stage 2 sleep spindles following motor learning in young and older adults
Article first published online: 11 FEB 2008
© 2008 European Sleep Research Society
Journal of Sleep Research
Volume 17, Issue 1, pages 23–33, March 2008
How to Cite
PETERS, K. R., RAY, L., SMITH, V. and SMITH, C. (2008), Changes in the density of stage 2 sleep spindles following motor learning in young and older adults. Journal of Sleep Research, 17: 23–33. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2869.2008.00634.x
- Issue published online: 11 FEB 2008
- Article first published online: 11 FEB 2008
- Accepted in revised form 6 December 2007; received 17 August 2007
- Beck Depression Inventory. The Psychological Corporation, San Antonio, TX, 1987.
- Normal aging. In: M. H.Kryger, T.Roth and W. C.Dement (Eds) Principles and Practice of Sleep Medicine. W.B. Saunders Company, Philadelphia, 2000: 24–38.
- Prediction of general mental ability based on neural oscillation measures of sleep. J. Sleep Res., 2005, 14: 285–292. , , , , , and
- Overnight verbal memory retention correlates with the number of sleep spindles. Neuroscience, 2005, 132: 529–535. , and
- Twenty-four hours retention of visuospatial memory correlates with the number of parietal sleep spindles. Neurosci. Lett., 2006, 403: 52–56. , and
- The effects of normal aging on sleep spindle and K-complex production. Clin. Neurophysiol., 2002, 113: 1615–1622. , , , and
- Thalamocortical Assemblies: How Ion Channels, Single Neurons and Large-Scale Networks Organize Sleep Oscillations. Oxford University Press, Oxford, 2001. and
- Melatonin effect on daytime sleep in men: suppression of EEG low frequency activity and enhancement of spindle frequency activity. Neurosci. Lett., 1995, 201: 13–16. , , , , , and
- The Sleep Disorders Questionnaire 1: creation and multivariate structure of the SDQ. Sleep, 1994, 17: 160–167. , , , , , , and
- Learning-dependent changes in sleep spindles and Stage 2 sleep. J. Sleep Res., 2006, 15: 250–255. and
- Sleep spindles and learning potential. Behav. Neurosci., 2007a, 121: 1–10. , , and
- Dissociable learning-dependent changes in REM and non-REM sleep in declarative and procedural memory systems. Beh. Brain Res., 2007b, 180: 48–61. , and
- Attention and non-REM sleep in neuroleptic-naive persons with schizophrenia and control participants. Psychiatry Res., 2007, 149: 33–40. , , , , and
- Spindle density in sleep of normal subjects. Sleep, 1981, 4: 385–391. and
- Learning-dependent increases in sleep spindle density. J. Neurosci., 2002, 22: 6830–6834. , , and
- Sleep spindles in normal elderly: comparison with young adult patterns and relation to nocturnal awakening, cognitive function and brain atrophy. Electroencephalogr. Clin. Neurophysiol., 1986, 63: 526–539. , , , , and
- The effects of age and extraversion on pursuit rotor reminiscence. J. Gerontol., 1965, 20: 346–350.
- Local sleep and learning. Nature, 2004, 430: 78–81. , , and
- Multidimensional Aptitude Battery-II. Sigma Assessment Systems, Inc., Port Huron, MI, 1998.
- Effect of age on the sleep EEG: slow-wave activity and spindle frequency activity in young and middle-aged men. Brain Res., 1996, 738: 205–212. , , and
- Transcranial direct current stimulation during sleep improves declarative memory. J. Neurosci., 2004, 24: 9985–9992. , , and
- Habitual napping moderates motor performance improvements following a short daytime nap. Biol. Psychol., 2006, 73: 141–156. , and
- A role for stage 2 sleep in memory processing. In: P.Maquet, C.Smith and R.Stickgold (Eds) Sleep and Brain Plasticity. Oxford University Press, Oxford, 2003: 87–98. and
- Sleep spindle characteristics in healthy subjects of different age groups. Clin. Neurophysiol., 2001, 112: 521–527. , , and
- Daytime naps, motor memory consolidation and regionally specific sleep spindles. PLoS ONE, 2, 2007, 4: e341. and
- Meta-analysis of quantitative sleep parameters from childhood to old age in healthy individuals: developing normative sleep values across the human lifespan. Sleep, 2004, 27: 1255–1273. , , and
- Changes in sleep architecture following motor learning depend on initial skill level. J. Cogn. Neurosci., 2007, 19: 817–829. , and
- Effects of early and late nocturnal sleep on declarative and procedural memory. J. Cogn. Neurosci., 1997, 9: 534–547. and
- Sleep spindle characteristics as a function of age. Sleep, 1982, 5: 73–84. and
- Neuroanatomical and cognitive correlates of adult age differences in acquisition of a perceptual-motor skill. Microsc. Res. Tech., 2000, 51: 85–93. , , , and
- A Manual of Standardized Terminology, Techniques and Scoring Systems of Human Subjects. Brain Information Service/Brain Research Institute, Los Angeles, 1968. and
- Sleep spindles and their significance for declarative memory consolidation. Sleep, 2004, 27: 1479–1485. , , , , , , , and
- Sleep spindle-related activity in the human EEG and its relation to general cognitive and learning abilities. Eur. J. Neurosci., 2006, 23: 1738–1746. , , , , , , , , and
- Sleep states, memory processes and synaptic plasticity. Behav. Brain Res., 1996, 78: 49–56.
- Sleep states and memory processes in humans: procedural versus declarative memory systems. Sleep Med. Rev., 2001, 5: 491–506.
- Impaired motor memory for a pursuit rotor task following Stage 2 sleep loss in college students. J. Sleep Res., 1994, 3: 206–213. and
- Ingestion of ethanol just prior to sleep onset impairs memory for procedural but not declarative tasks. Sleep, 2003, 26: 185–191. and
- Posttraining increases in REM sleep intensity implicate REM sleep in memory processing and provide a biological marker of learning potential. Learn Mem., 2004, 11: 714–719. , and
- Coherent oscillations and short-term plasticity in corticothalamic networks. Trends Neurosci., 1999, 22: 337–345.
- Using Multivariate Statistics. Allyn & Bacon, Needham Heights, MA, 2001 (4th edition). and
- Reminiscence as a function of chonological and mental age. J. Gerontol., 1962, 17: 392–396.
- Sleep, memory, and plasticity. Annu. Rev. Psychol., 2006, 57: 139–166. and
- Aging and changes in phasic events during sleep. Physiol. Behav., 1993, 54: 803–806.
- Spindle frequency activity in the sleep EEG: individual differences and topographic distribution. Electroencephalogr. Clin. Neurophysiol., 1997, 103: 535–542. , , and
- Effects of aging on sex differences in psychomotor reminiscence and tracking proficiency. J. Gerontol., 1985, 40: 179–184. and
- Topographic distribution of sleep spindles in young healthy subjects. J. Sleep Res., 1997, 6: 149–155. , , , , and