Sleep problems in children with autism spectrum disorders, developmental delays, and typical development: a population-based study
Version of Record online: 28 JUN 2008
© 2008 European Sleep Research Society
Journal of Sleep Research
Volume 17, Issue 2, pages 197–206, June 2008
How to Cite
KRAKOWIAK, P., GOODLIN-JONES, B., HERTZ-PICCIOTTO, I., CROEN, L. A. and HANSEN, R. L. (2008), Sleep problems in children with autism spectrum disorders, developmental delays, and typical development: a population-based study. Journal of Sleep Research, 17: 197–206. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2869.2008.00650.x
- Issue online: 28 JUN 2008
- Version of Record online: 28 JUN 2008
- Accepted in revised form 29 January 2008; received 7 August 2007
- Snoring, sleep disturbance, and behaviour in 4–5 year olds. Arch. Dis. Child., 1993, 68: 360–366. , and
- Sleep patterns of school-age children with Asperger syndrome or high-functioning autism. J. Autism Dev. Disord., 2006a, 36: 585–595. , and
- Insomnia in school-age children with Asperger syndrome or high-functioning autism. BMC Psychiatry, 2006b, 6: 18. , and
- American Academy of Sleep Medicine. The International Classification of Sleep Disorders: Diagnostic and Coding Manual (ICSD: DCM2). American Academy of Sleep Medicine, Chicago, 2001 (second edition).
- American Psychiatric Association. Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders. American Diagnostic Association, Washington, DC, 1994 (fourth edition).
- Sleep disorders. In: C. H.Zeanah, Jr, (Ed.), Handbook of Infant Mental Health. Guilford Publications, Inc., New York, 2000 (second edition): 326–338. , and
- The sleep patterns of normal children. Med. J. Aust., 1994, 161: 202–206. , and
- A study of a measure of sampling adequacy for factor-analytic correlation matrices. Multivar. Behav. Res., 1977, 12: 43–47. and
- Brief report: parental descriptions of sleep problems in children with autism, Down syndrome, and Prader–Willi syndrome. Res. Dev. Disabil., 2006, 27: 151–161. and
- Parental perception of sleep problems in children of normal intelligence with pervasive developmental disorders: prevalence, severity, and pattern. J. Am. Acad. Child Adolesc. Psychiatry, 2005, 44: 815–822. , , , , and
- Sleep problems and daytime problem behaviours in children with intellectual disability. J. Intellect. Disabil. Res., 2002, 46: 537–547. , , , and
- Sleep problems of children with pervasive developmental disorders: correlation with parental stress. Dev. Med. Child Neurol., 2006, 48: 650–655. and
- Marital conflict and disruption of children’s sleep. Child Dev., 2006, 77: 31–43. , , and
- Experimental restriction of sleep opportunity in children: effects on teacher ratings. Sleep, 2005, 28: 1561–1567. , , and
- Sleep problems in children with autism. J. Sleep Res., 2004, 13: 265–268. , and
- Snoring, apneic episodes, and nocturnal hypoxemia among children 6 months to 6 years old: an epidemiologic study of lower limit of prevalence. Chest, 1995, 107: 963–966. and
- Sleep-disordered breathing and school performance in children. Pediatrics, 1998, 102: 616–620.
- Sleep patterns in autistic children. J. Autism Dev. Disord., 1999, 29: 143–147. , , , and
- The CHARGE study: an epidemiologic investigation of genetic and environmental factors contributing to autism. Environ. Health Perspect., 2006, 114: 1119–1125. , , , , and
- Sleep patterns of children with pervasive developmental disorders. J. Autism Dev. Disord., 2002, 32: 553–561. , , , and
- Continuities of common behaviour problems in preschool children. J. Child Psychol. Psychiatry, 1984, 25: 75–89. , , and
- Infant and toddler sleep: a telephone survey of parents in one community. J. Dev. Behav. Pediatr., 1991, 12: 108–114.
- Autism Diagnostic Interview–Revised (ADI-R). Western Psychological Services, Los Angeles, 2003. , and
- Sleep disturbances and correlates of children with autism spectrum disorders. Child Psychiatry Hum. Dev., 2006, 37: 179–191. , , and
- The autism diagnostic observation schedule-generic: a standard measure of social and communication deficits associated with the spectrum of autism. J. Autism Dev. Disord., 2000, 30: 205–223. , , , , , , and
- Sleep disorders, epilepsy, and autism. Ment. Retard. Dev. Disabil. Res. Rev., 2004, 10: 122–125.
- Adverse associations of infant and child sleep problems and parent health: an Australian population study. Pediatrics, 2007, 119: 947–955. , , , and
- The evaluation and treatment of sleep disturbances in young children. J. Child Psychol. Psychiatry, 1993, 34: 521–533. , , , , and
- Treatment of childhood sleep disorders: generalization across disorders and effects on family members. J. Pediatr. Psychol., 1993, 18: 731–750. and
- A Clinical Guide to Pediatric Sleep. LWW, Philadelphia, 2003. and
- Mullen Scales of Early Learning. American Guidance Services, Inc., Circle Pines, Minnesota, 1995.
- Sleep disorders in children with cerebral palsy. Dev. Med. Child Neurol., 2006, 48: 564–568. , and
- Sleep and daytime behavior in children with obstructive sleep apnea and behavioral sleep disorders. Pediatrics, 1998, 102: 1178–1184. , , and
- The Children’s Sleep Habits Questionnaire (CSHQ): psychometric properties of a survey instrument for school-aged children. Sleep, 2000, 23: 1043–1051. , and
- Sleep disturbance and injury risk in young children. Behav. Sleep Med., 2005, 3: 18–31. , and
- An investigation into sleep characteristics of children with autism and Asperger’s Disorder. J. Paediatr. Child Health, 1998, 34: 528–533. , and
- A survey of sleep problems in autism, Asperger’s disorder and typically developing children. J. Intellect. Disabil. Res., 2005, 49: 260–268. , and
- Sleep problems in children with mental handicap. J. Ment. Defic. Res., 1991, 35: 269–290.
- Cognitive function following acute sleep restriction in children ages 10–14. Sleep, 1998, 21: 861–868. , , and
- Sleep in children with autism and Asperger syndrome. In: G.Stores and L.Wiggs (Eds) Sleep Disturbance in Children and Adolescents with Disorders of Development: its Significance and Management. Cambridge University Press, Oxford, England, 2001: 181–191.
- The sleep/wake rhythm in children with autism. Eur. Child Adolesc. Psychiatry, 1995, 4: 175–186. and
- Stress, behaviour and sleep problems in children with an intellectual disability. J. Intellect. Dev. Disabil., 2000, 25: 147–161. , , and
- Social Communication Questionnaire (SCQ). Western Psychological Services, Los Angeles, 2003. , , , and
- Evaluating night wakings in sleep-disturbed infants: a methodological study of parental reports and actigraphy. Sleep, 1996, 19: 757–762.
- Actigraphic home-monitoring sleep-disturbed and control infants and young children: a new method for pediatric assessment of sleep-wake patterns. Pediatrics, 1991, 87: 494–499. , , , and
- Sleep, neurobehavioral functioning, and behavior problems in school-age children. Child Dev., 2002, 73: 405–417. , and
- Sleep patterns of infants and young children in Israel. Int. J. Behav. Dev., 1995, 18: 701–711. , , , , and
- Parental report of sleep problems in children with autism. J. Autism Dev. Disord., 2000, 30: 127–135. and
- Vineland Adaptive Behavior Scales Interview Edition Expanded Form Manual. American Guidance Services, Inc., Circle Pines, Minnesota, 1984. , and
- Behavioural treatment for sleep problems in children with severe learning disabilities and challenging daytime behaviour: effect on sleep patterns of mother and child. J. Sleep Res., 1998, 7: 119–126. and
- General aspects of sleep and intellectual impairment. In: G.Stores and L.Wiggs (Eds) Sleep Disturbance in Children and Adolescents with Disorders of Development: its Significance and Management. Cambridge University Press, Oxford, England, 2001: 47–52. and
- Sleep patterns and sleep disorders in children with autistic spectrum disorders: insights using parent report and actigraphy. Dev. Med. Child Neurol., 2004, 46: 372–380. and
- Sleep schedules and daytime functioning in adolescents. Child Dev., 1998, 69: 875–887. and