Effects of long working hours and the night shift on severe sleepiness among workers with 12-hour shift systems for 5 to 7 consecutive days in the automobile factories of Korea
Article first published online: 9 OCT 2008
© 2008 European Sleep Research Society
Journal of Sleep Research
Volume 17, Issue 4, pages 385–394, December 2008
How to Cite
SON, M., KONG, J.-O., KOH, S.-B., KIM, J. and HÄRMÄ, M. (2008), Effects of long working hours and the night shift on severe sleepiness among workers with 12-hour shift systems for 5 to 7 consecutive days in the automobile factories of Korea. Journal of Sleep Research, 17: 385–394. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2869.2008.00675.x
- Issue published online: 28 NOV 2008
- Article first published online: 9 OCT 2008
- Accepted in revised form 2 May 2008; received 10 June 2007
- Shift work and disturbed sleep/wakefulness. Occup. Med. (Lond), 2003, 53: 89–94.
- Subjective and objective sleepiness in the active individual. Int. J. Neurosci., 1990, 52: 29–37. and
- Control Room Operator Alertness and Performance in Nuclear Power Plants. Electric Power Research Institute Report NP-6748. Electric Power Research Institute Report, Research Reports Center, Palo Alto, CA, 1990. , and et al.
- “Perceived exertion as an indicator of somatic stress”. Scand. J. Rehabil. Med., 1970, 2: 92–98.
- Flexibility of working hours in the 24-hour society. Med. Lav., 2006, 97: 280–287.
- Flexible working hours, health and well-being in the European Union: preliminary data from a SALTSA project. J. Hum. Ergol. (Tokyo), 2001, 30: 27–33. , , , , , , , , , , , and
- Overtime work and its effects on sleep, sleepiness, cortisol and blood pressure in an experimental field study. Scand. J. Work Environ. Health, 2006, 32: 318–327. , and
- Psychometric properties of the Korean version of the job content questionnaire: data from health care workers. Int. Arch. Occup. Environ. Health, 2007, 80: 497–504. , , , , , and
- Shift work, safety and productivity. Occup. Med. (Lond), 2003, 53: 95–101. and
- Combined effects of shift work and life-style on the prevalence of insomnia, sleep deprivation and daytime sleepiness. Scan. J. Work Environ. Health., 1998, 24: 300–307. , , , and
- The effect of an irregular shift system on sleepiness at work in train drivers and railway traffic controllers. J. Sleep Res., 2002, 11: 141–151. , , , and
- The importance of assessing the fit of logistic regression models: a case study. Am. J. Public Health, 1991, 81: 1630–1635. , and
- Long work hours and health. Scand. J. Work Environ. Health, 2003, 29: 171–188.
- A new method for measuring daytime sleepiness: The Epworth Sleepiness Scale. Sleep, 1991, 14: 540–545.
- The effects of double shifts (15.5 hours) on sleep, fatigue and health. J. Hum. Ergol. (Tokyo), 2001, 30: 53–58. , , , and
- A practical method for the assessment of work-related musculoskeletal risks Quick Exposure Check (QEC). Proceedings of the human factors and ergonomics society 42nd Annual Meeting, 1998, 2: 1351–1355. and
- Effects of 24-hour shift work with nighttime napping on circadian rhythm characteristics in ambulance personnel. Chronobiol. Int., 1993, 10: 461–470. and
- National Statistics Office. Weekly hours worked by industry. http://www.kosis.kr/search/totalSearch2.jsp (last accessed 30 January 2007).
- Shift work and sickness absence in Korean manufacturing industries. J. Prev. Med. Public Health, 1994, 27: 475–486. , , , and
- Stress reactions at work and after work during a period of quantitative overload. Ergonomics, 1977, 20: 13–16.
- Extended workshifts and excessive fatigue. J. Sleep Res., 1995, 4(S2): 51–56.
- SAS Institute Inc. SAS/STAT User’s Guide, Version 8. SAS Institute Inc., Cary, NC, 1999.
- Work shift duration: a review comparing eight hour and 12 hour shift systems. Occup. Environ. Med., 1998, 55: 217–229. , , and
- The Study on Irregular Workers’ Right for Health in Korea. National Human Rights Commission of the Republic of Korea, Seoul, Korea, 2003: 472–512. , , , , , , , , , , , , , and .
- Longitudinal data analysis for discrete and continuous outcomes. Biometrics, 1986, 42: 121–130. and