Are patients with chronic fatigue syndrome just ‘tired’ or also ‘sleepy’?
Version of Record online: 7 OCT 2008
© 2008 European Sleep Research Society
Journal of Sleep Research
Volume 17, Issue 4, pages 427–431, December 2008
How to Cite
NEU, D., HOFFMANN, G., MOUTRIER, R., VERBANCK, P., LINKOWSKI, P. and LE BON, O. (2008), Are patients with chronic fatigue syndrome just ‘tired’ or also ‘sleepy’?. Journal of Sleep Research, 17: 427–431. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2869.2008.00679.x
- Issue online: 28 NOV 2008
- Version of Record online: 7 OCT 2008
- Accepted in revised form 7 May 2008; received 7 November 2007
- American Psychiatric Association. Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, 4th edn. American Psychiatric Association Press, Washington, DC, USA, 1994.
- The clinical use of the MSLT and MWT. Sleep, 2005, 28: 123–144. , , , , and
- An inventory for measuring depression. Arch. Gen. Psychiatry, 1961, 4: 561–571.
- Review of clinical and psychobiological dimensions of the chronic fatigue syndrome: differentiation from depression and contribution of sleep dysfunctions. Sleep Med. Rev., 1999, 3: 3–16.
- the International Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Study Group. The chronic fatigue syndrome: a comprehensive approach to its definition and study. Ann. Intern. Med., 1994, 121: 953–959. , , , , , and
- The assessment of anxiety states by rating. Br. J. Med. Psychol., 1959, 32: 50–55.
- “High sleepability without sleepiness”. The ability to fall asleep rapidly without other signs of sleepiness. Neurophysiol. Clin., 1996, 26: 15–20. and
- Subjective fatigue and subjective sleepiness: two independent consequences of sleep disorders? J Sleep Res., 2005, 14: 245–253. , , , , and
- A new method for measuring daytime sleepiness: the Epworth sleepiness scale. Sleep, 1991, 14: 540–545.
- The fatigue severity scale. Application to patients with multiple sclerosis and systemic lupus erythematosus. Arch. Neurol., 1989, 46: 1121–1123. , , and
- How frequent are primary sleep disorders in CFS? Sleep Res. Online, 2000, 3: 43–48. , , , , , and
- Paradoxical Nrems distribution in “pure” chronic fatigue patients. A comparison with sleep apnea–hypopnea patients and healthy control subjects. Journal of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, 2007, 14: 45–59. , , and
- Sleep quality perception in the chronic fatigue syndrome. Correlations with sleep efficiency, affective symptoms and intensity of fatigue. Neuropsychobiology, 2007, 56: 40–46. , , , , , , and
- A pilot randomized controlled trial of dexamphetamine in patients with chronic fatigue syndrome. Psychosomatics, 2003, 44: 38–43. , and
- Distinguishing between excessive daytime sleepiness and fatigue: toward improved detection and treatment. J. Psychosom. Res., 2003, 54: 61–69. , and
- A manual of standardized terminology techniques and scoring system for sleep states of human subjects. US Govt Printing Office, Washington DC, 1968. and (Eds)
- Sleep characteristics of persons with chronic fatigue syndrome and non-fatigued controls: results from a population-based study. BMC Neurol., 2006, 16: 6. , , , , , , and
- Distinguishing sleepiness and fatigue: focus on definition and measurement. Sleep Med. Rev., 2006, 10: 63–76. , and
- Unexplained fatigue syndromes in a multinational primary care sample: specificity of definition and prevalence and distinctiveness from depression and generalized anxiety. Am. J. Psychiatry, 2003, 160: 785–787. , and
- Subjective and objective sleepiness in monozygotic twins discordant for chronic fatigue syndrome. Sleep, 2004, 27: 973–977. , , , and
- The influence of polysomnogram on the multiple sleep latency test and other measures of daytime sleepiness. Physiol. Behav., 2002, 75: 183–188. , , , , and