Sleep and sleep ecology in the first 3 years: a web-based study
Article first published online: 16 OCT 2008
© 2008 European Sleep Research Society
Journal of Sleep Research
Volume 18, Issue 1, pages 60–73, March 2009
How to Cite
SADEH, A., MINDELL, J. A., LUEDTKE, K. and WIEGAND, B. (2009), Sleep and sleep ecology in the first 3 years: a web-based study. Journal of Sleep Research, 18: 60–73. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2869.2008.00699.x
- Issue published online: 24 FEB 2009
- Article first published online: 16 OCT 2008
- Accepted in revised form 25 July 2008; received 17 May 2008
- Sleep/wake patterns derived from activity monitoring and maternal report for healthy 1-to 5-year-old children. Sleep, 2005, 28: 1568–1577. , , , , and
- Night waking during infancy: role of parental presence at bedtime. Pediatrics, 1991, 87: 500–504. , , , and
- Sleeping through the night: a developmental perspective. Pediatrics, 1992, 90: 554–560. , and
- The use of the Internet in the treatment of anxiety disorders. Curr. Opin. Psychiatry, 2005, 18: 73–77. , , and
- The sleep patterns of normal children. Med. J. Aust., 1994, 161: 202–206. , and
- Babies sleeping with parents: case-control study of factors influencing the risk of the sudden infant death syndrome. Br. Med. J., 1999, 319: 1457–1461. , , , , , , and
- Social access to the Internet. Harvard Int. J. Press-Polit., 2000, 5: 50–61.
- Nighttime sleep-wake patterns and self-soothing from birth to one year of age: a longitudinal intervention study. J. Child Psychol. Psychiatry, 2002, 43: 713–725. , , and
- A systematic review of randomized control trials evaluating the effectiveness of interactive computerized asthma patient education programs. Ann. Allergy Asthma Immunol., 2007, 98: 507–516. and
- Infant sleep position and the sudden-infant-death-syndrome – a survey of pediatric recommendations. Clin. Pediatr. (Phila)., 1995, 34: 402–409. , and
- Delivering interventions for depression by using the internet: randomised controlled trial. Br. Med. J., 2004, 328: 265–268. , and
- A meta-analysis of response rates in Web-or internet-based surveys. Educ Psychol Meas, 2000, 60: 821–836. , and
- Development of consolidated sleep and wakeful periods in relation to the day/night cycle in infancy. Dev. Med. Child Neurol., 1984, 26: 169–176. and
- Strengths and weaknesses of health behavior change programs on the Internet. J. Health Psychol., 2003, 8: 63–70. , , , , and
- Night waking, sleep-wake organization, and self-soothing in the first year of life. J. Dev. Behav. Pediatr., 2001, 22: 226–233. , , and
- Infant sleep problems and postnatal depression: a community- based study. Pediatrics, 2001, 107: 1317–1322. and
- Use of e-health services between 1999 and 2002: A growing digital divide. J. Am. Med. Inform. Assoc., 2005, 12: 164–171. , , , , , et al.
- Sleep duration from infancy to adolescence: Reference values and generational trends. Pediatrics, 2003, 111: 302–307. , , and
- Infant and toddler sleep: a telephone survey of parents in one community. J. Dev. Behav. Pediatr., 1991, 12: 108–114.
- Night waking in 6-month-old infants and maternal depressive symptoms. J. Appl. Dev. Psychol., 2007, 28: 493–498. and
- Persistence of sleep disturbances in preschool children. J. Pediatr., 1987, 110: 642–646. , and
- Treatment efficacy in behavioral pediatric sleep medicine. J. Psychosom. Res., 2003, 54: 587–597. and
- Interventions for infant and toddler sleep disturbance: a review. Child Fam. Behav. Ther., 2000, 22: 33–50. and
- Outcomes of infant sleep problems: a longitudinal study of sleep, behavior, and maternal well-being. Pediatrics, 2003, 111: e203–e207. , and
- The income digital divide: trends and predictions for levels of Internet use. Soc. Probl., 2007, 54: 1–22. and
- Internet-based smoking cessation initiatives – availability, varieties, and likely effects on outcomes. Dis. Manag. Health Outcomes, 2006, 14: 275–285. and
- An 8-year study of risk factors for SIDS: bed-sharing versus non-bed-sharing. Arch. Dis. Child., 2006, 91: 318–323. , , , and
- Sleep disorders in children. Health Psychol., 1993, 12: 151–162.
- Empirically supported treatments in pediatric psychology: bedtime refusal and night wakings in young children. J. Pediatr. Psychol., 1999, 24: 465–481.
- Behavioral treatment of bedtime problems and night wakings in infants and young children – an American Academy of Sleep Medicine review. Sleep, 2006, 29: 1263–1276. , , , and
- Sleep habits and risk factors for sleep-disordered breathing in infants and young toddlers in Louisville, Kentucky. Sleep Med., 2006, 7: 211–219. and
- Practice parameters for behavioral treatment of bedtime problems and night wakings in infants and young children – An American Academy of Sleep Medicine report. Sleep, 2006, 29: 1277–1281. , , , , , et al.
- The developmental change in strategies parents employ to settle young children to sleep, and their relationship to infant sleeping problems, as assessed by a new questionnaire: The Parental Interactive Bedtime Behaviour Scale. Infant Child Dev., 2002, 11: 17–41. and
- Sleep characteristics in healthy children from birth to 6 years of age in the urban area of Rome. Sleep, 1996, 19: 1–3. , , , and
- Dyssomnias and parasomnias in early childhood. Pediatrics, 2007, 119: e1016–e1025. , , , and
- A systematic review of treatments for settling problems and night waking in young children. BMJ, 2000, 320: 209–213. , , and
- Assessment of intervention for infant night waking: parental reports and activity-based home monitoring. J. Consult. Clin. Psychol., 1994, 62: 63–68.
- Evaluating night wakings in sleep-disturbed infants: a methodological study of parental reports and actigraphy. Sleep, 1996, 19: 757–762.
- A brief screening questionnaire for infant sleep problems: Validation and findings for an Internet sample. Pediatrics, 2004, 113: E570–E577.
- Cognitive-behavioral treatment for childhood sleep disorders. Clin. Psychol. Rev., 2005, 25: 612–628.
- Infant sleep problems: Origins, assessment, interventions. Infant Mental Health J., 1993, 14: 17–34. and
- Infant sleep and parental sleep-related cognitions. J. Fam. Psychol., 2007, 21: 74–87. , , and
- The impact of Internet use for weight loss. Obes. Rev., 2007, 8: 459–465. , and
- Sleep patterns of infants and young children in Israel. Int. J. Behav. Dev., 1995, 18: 701–711. , , , , and
- Internet-based treatment for insomnia: A controlled evaluation. J. Consult. Clin. Psychol., 2004, 72: 113–120. , and
- Bedsharing, roomsharing, and sudden infant death syndrome in Scotland: A case-control study. J. Pediatr., 2005, 147: 32–37. , , and
- Co-sleeping, an ancient practice: issues of the past and present, and possibilities for the future. Sleep Med. Rev., 2006, 10: 407–417.
- Severe sleep problems among infants in a normal population in Sweden: prevalence, severity and correlates. Acta Paediatr., 1999, 88: 1356–1363.
- Prevalence, stability, and outcomes of cry-fuss and sleep problems in the first 2 years of life: Prospective community-based study. Pediatrics, 2006, 117: 836–842. , , , , and
- The effectiveness of Web-based vs. non-Web-based interventions: A meta-analysis of behavioral change outcomes. J. Med. Internet Res., 2004, 6: 67–84. , , , and
- Naps in children: 6 months–7 years. Sleep, 1995, 18: 82–87.
- Trends in infant bed sharing in the United States, 1993–2000 – the National Infant Sleep Position study. Arch. Pediatr. Adolesc. Med., 2003, 157: 43–49. , , , and
- Working with parents on developing efficacious sleep/wake habits for infants and young children . In: J. M.Briesmeister and C. E.Schaefer (Eds) Handbook of Parent Training: Parents as co-Therapists for Children’s Behavior Problems, 2nd edn. John Wiley & Sons, Inc, New York, NY, 1998: 347–383. .
- Effects of parent training on infant sleeping patterns, parents’ stress, and perceived parental competence. J. Consult. Clin. Psychol., 1992, 60: 41–48. , and
- Sleep problems in early childhood: continuities, predictive factors, and behavioral correlates. Pediatrics, 1987, 80: 664–671. , and