At the time of this study Dr Sanjeev V. Kothare was with the Section of Sleep Medicine, Division of Neurology, Department of Pediatrics, St Christopher’s Hospital for Children, Drexel University College of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA, USA.
Algorithms for sleep–wake identification using actigraphy: a comparative study and new results
Version of Record online: 24 FEB 2009
© 2009 European Sleep Research Society
Journal of Sleep Research
Volume 18, Issue 1, pages 85–98, March 2009
How to Cite
TILMANNE, J., URBAIN, J., KOTHARE, M. V., WOUWER, A. V. and KOTHARE, S. V. (2009), Algorithms for sleep–wake identification using actigraphy: a comparative study and new results. Journal of Sleep Research, 18: 85–98. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2869.2008.00706.x
- Issue online: 24 FEB 2009
- Version of Record online: 24 FEB 2009
- Accepted in revised form 22 September 2008; received 12 March 2008
- Actigraphy. In: M. H.Kryger, T.Roth and W. C.Dement (Eds) Principles and Practice of Sleep Medicine. W. B. Saunders, Philadelphia, 2000: 1295–1301.
- The role of actigraphy in the study of sleep and circadian rhythms. Sleep, 2003, 26: 342–392. , , , , and
- Simplifying decision trees: a survey. Knowl. Eng. Rev., 1997, 12: 1–40. and
- CHIME-website. 2004. Available at: http://dccwww.bumc.bu.edu/ChimeNisp/Main_Chime.asp (last accessed 18 October 2008).
- Neonatal encephalography. In: J. S.Ebersole and T. A.Pedley (Eds) Current Practice of Clinical Electroencephalography, 3rd edn. LippinCott Williams & Wilkins, Philadelphia, 2003: 160–234. , and
- Technical note: automatic sleep/wake identification from wrist actigraphy. Sleep, 1992, 15: 461–469. , , , and
- the CHIME Steering Committee. Infant polysomnography: reliability. Sleep, 1997, 20: 553–560. , , , , , , , , , , , , and
- Multivariate Data Analysis, 6th edn. Prentice Hall, Upper Saddle River, NJ, 2006. , , and
- Determination of sleep and wakefulness with the actigraph data analysis software (ADAS). Sleep, 1996, 19: 739–743. , , , , , , and
- Sleep estimation from wrist movement quantified by different actigraphic modalities. J. Neurosci. Meth., 2001, 105: 185–191. , , , and
- The use of actigraphy for assessment of the development of sleep/wake patterns in infants during the first 12 months of life. J. Sleep Res., 2007, 16: 181–187. , and
- Glossary of terms. Mach. Learn., 1998, 30: 271–274. and
- Practice parameters for the role of actigraphy in the study of sleep and circadian rhythms: an update for 2002. Sleep, 2003, 26: 337–341. , , , , , , , , , , and
- Logic for Learning: Learning Comprehensive Theories from Structured Data. Springer, Berlin, 2003: 207–241.
- Machine Learning. McGraw-Hill series in computer science, McGraw Hill, WCB, Boston, 2008.
- Practice parameters for the role of actigraphy in the study of sleep and sleep disorders: an update for 2007. Sleep, 2007, 30: 519–528. , , , , , , , , , , and
- NETLAB: Algorithms for Pattern Recognition. Advances in Pattern Recognition. Springer, New York, 2002.
- A Manual of Standardized Terminology, Techniques and Scoring System for Sleep Stages of Human Subjects. U.S. Department of Health, Education & Welfare, National Institute of Health Publication No. 204, Washington DC, 1968. and
- Top-down induction of decision trees classifiers – a survey. IEEE Trans. Syst. Man Cybern. C Appl. Rev., 2005, 35: 476–487. and
- Actigraphically based automatic bedtime sleep-wake scoring: validity and clinical applications. J. Ambul. Monit., 1989, 2: 209–216. , , and
- Activity-based sleep-wake identification: an empirical test of methodological issues. Sleep, 1994, 17: 201–207. , and
- Activity-based assessment of sleep-wake patterns during the first year of life. Infant Behav. Dev., 1995, 18: 329–337. , , , and
- CHIME study group. Activity-based sleepwake identification in infants. Physiol. Meas., 2004, 25: 1291–1304. , , , and
- Actigraphy correctly predicts sleep behavior in infants who are younger than six months, when compared with polysomnography. Pediatr. Res., 2005, 58: 761–765. , , and
- Further validation of actigraphy for sleep studies. Sleep, 2003, 26: 81–85. , , , , and
- Practice parameters for the use of actigraphy in the clinical assessment of sleep disorders. Sleep, 1995, 18: 285–287. , , , , , , and
- An activity-based sleep monitor system for ambulatory use. Sleep, 1982, 5: 389–399. , , , and