The authors have no potential conflicts of interest and are in compliance with the Journal of Sleep Research policy.
Overnight emotional adaptation to negative stimuli is altered by REM sleep deprivation and is correlated with intervening dream emotions
Version of Record online: 19 MAY 2009
© 2009 European Sleep Research Society
Journal of Sleep Research
Volume 18, Issue 2, pages 178–187, June 2009
How to Cite
LARA-CARRASCO, J., NIELSEN, T. A., SOLOMONOVA, E., LEVRIER, K. and POPOVA, A. (2009), Overnight emotional adaptation to negative stimuli is altered by REM sleep deprivation and is correlated with intervening dream emotions. Journal of Sleep Research, 18: 178–187. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2869.2008.00709.x
- Issue online: 19 MAY 2009
- Version of Record online: 19 MAY 2009
- Accepted in revised form 19 September 2008; received 18 May 2008
- REM sleep, dream variables and suicidality in depressed patients. Psychiatry Res., 2003, 119: 33–39. and
- Nightmares, suicide attempts, and melancholic features in patients with unipolar major depression. J. Affect. Disord., 2007, 98: 267–270. , , , , , and
- Validation, Études de Normalisation et Exemples d'Utilisation du Questionnaire d'Anxiété ASTA. Département de psychologie, Université de Montréal, Montréal, 1980.
- Étude psychométrique du questionnaire de dépression de Beck auprès d’un échantillon d’étudiants universitaires francophones. Can. J. Behav. Sci., 1982, 14: 211–218. and
- Dreams that work: the relation of dream incorporation to adaptation to stressful events. Dreaming, 1991, 1: 3–9.
- Dreaming as a mood regulation system. In: M. H.Kryger, T.Roth and W. C.Dement (Eds) Principles and Practice of Sleep Medicine. Elsevier Saunders, Philadelphia, PA, 2005: 565–572.
- Effects of REM time on what is recalled. Psychophysiology, 1975, 12: 561–568. , , , , and
- Role of REM sleep and dream affect in overnight mood regulation: a study of normal volunteers. Psychiatry Res., 1998a, 81: 1–8. , , , and
- Role of REM sleep and dream variables in the prediction of remission from depression. Psychiatry Res., 1998b, 80: 249–255. , , and
- REM sleep reduction mood regulation and remission in untreated depression. Psychiatry Res., 2003, 12: 159–167. , , , and
- Center for the Study of Emotion and Attention [CSEA-NIMH]. The International Affective Picture System: Digitized Photographs. The Center of Research in Psychophysiology, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL, 2005.
- Neuroticism in the sleep laboratory: implications for representational and adaptive properties of dreaming. J. Abnorm. Psychol., 1975, 84: 91–108. and
- Affective individual differences and startle reflex modulation. J. Abnorm. Psychol., 1991, 100: 5–13. , , and
- Fearfulness and startle potentiation during aversive visual stimuli. Psychophysiology, 1992, 29: 633–645. , , , and
- Affective style, psychopathology, and resilience: brain mechanisms and plasticity. Am. Psychol., 2000, 55: 1196–1214.
- Dream content and adaptation to a stressful situation. J. Abnorm. Psychol., 1975, 84: 250–260. and
- Are you awake? Cognitive performance and reverie during the hypnopompic state. In: R.Bootzin, J.Kihlstrom and D.Schacter (Eds) Sleep and Cognition. American Psychological Association, Washington, DC, 1990: 159–178.
- The sleep disorders questionnaire. I. Creation and multivariate structure of SDQ. Sleep, 1994, 17: 160–167. , , , , , , and
- Appropriateness of dream feelings to dreamed situations. Cogn. Emot., 1988, 2: 29–39. , , and
- The effect of dream (stage REM) deprivation on adaptation to stress. Psychosom. Med., 1972, 34: 257–262. , and
- Memory, emotion, and rem sleep. J. Abnorm. Psychol., 1983, 92: 378–381. , , and
- A repressive coping style and affective, facial and physiological responses to looking at emotional pictures. Int. J. Psychophysiol., 2001, 42: 265–277. , , , and
- Human Emotions. Plenum, New York, 1989.
- Emotion and cognition: feeling and character identification in dreaming. Conscious. Cogn., 2002, 11: 34–50. , and
- Behavioral effects of nightmares and their correlations to personality patterns. Dreaming, 2001, 11: 43–52. and
- Sleep, dreaming, and adaptation to a stressful intellectual activity. Sleep, 1985, 8: 244–253. , and
- The selective mood regulatory function of dreaming: an update and revision. In: A.Moffitt, M.Kramer and R.Hoffmann (Eds) The Functions of Dreaming. State University of New York, Albany, 1993: 139–196.
- The Dream Experience: A Systematic Exploration. Routledge, New York, 2007.
- The mood-regulating function of sleep. In: W.Koella and P.Levin (Eds) Sleep 1972. S. Karger, Basel, 1973: 536–571. and
- The relationship of dream content to night–morning mood change. In: L.Popoviciu, B.Asigian and G.Bain (Eds) Sleep 1978. S. Karger, Basel, 1980: 621–624. and
- Behavioral treatment and bio-behavioral assessment: computer applications. In: J. B.Sidowski, J. H.Johnson and T. A.Williams (Eds) Technology in Mental Health Care Delivery. Ablex, Norwood, 1980: 119–137.
- Looking at pictures: affective, facial, visceral, and behavioral reactions. Psychophysiology, 1993, 30: 261–273. , , and
- International Affective Picture System (IAPS): Instruction Manual and Affective Ratings. Technical Report A-6. University of Florida, Gainesville, FL, 2005. , and
- Temporal stability of the emotion-modulated startle response. Psychophysiology, 2000, 37: 92–101. , , and
- Shortened REM latency: a consequence of psychological strain? Psychophysiology, 1987, 24: 263–271. , , and
- Differential responding to the beta movement after waking from REM and NonREM sleep. Am. J. Psychol., 1975, 88: 595–603. and
- Emotion profiles in the dreams of men and women. Conscious. Cogn., 1994, 3: 46–60. , , , and
- The Munich vulnerability study on affective disorders: premorbid polysomnographic profile of affected high-risk probands. Biol. Psychiatry, 2005, 58: 694–699. , , and
- Nightmares, dreaming and emotion regulation: a review. In: D.Barrett and P.McNamara (Eds) The New Science of Dreaming. Praeger Greenwood, Westport, 2007: 253–284. and
- Effects of dream reflection on waking affect: awareness of feelings, rorschach movement, and facial EMG. Sleep, 1989, 12: 277–286. , and
- Emotions in dream and waking event reports. Dreaming, 1991, 1: 287–300. , and
- A Manual of Standardized Terminology, Technique and Scoring System for Sleep Stages of Human Subjects. HEW Neurological Information Network, Bethesda, MD, 1968. and
- Effects of state and trait factors on nightmare frequency. Eur. Arch. Psychiatry Clin. Neurosci., 2003, 253: 241–247.
- State anxiety and affective physiology: effects of sustained exposure to affective pictures. Biol. Psychol., 2005, 69: 247–260. , and
- The function of dreams in adaptation to stress over time. Dreaming, 1993, 3: 259–268. and
- Sleep-induced changes in associative memory. J. Cogn. Neurosci., 1999, 11: 182–193. , , and
- Using Multivariate Statistics, 4th edn. Allyn and Bacon, Needham Heights, 2001. and
- REM sleep reduction effects on depression syndromes. Arch. Gen. Psychiatry, 1975, 32: 765–777. , , , and
- Emotional memory formation is enhanced across sleep intervals with high amounts of rapid eye movement sleep. Learn. Mem., 2001, 8: 112–119. , and
- Changes in emotional responses to aversive pictures across periods rich in slow-wave sleep versus rapid eye movement sleep. Psychosom. Med., 2002, 64: 627–634. , and