How does the pitch and pattern of a signal affect auditory arousal thresholds?
Article first published online: 12 MAR 2009
© 2009 European Sleep Research Society
Journal of Sleep Research
Volume 18, Issue 2, pages 196–203, June 2009
How to Cite
BRUCK, D., BALL, M., THOMAS, I. and ROUILLARD, V. (2009), How does the pitch and pattern of a signal affect auditory arousal thresholds?. Journal of Sleep Research, 18: 196–203. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2869.2008.00710.x
- Issue published online: 19 MAY 2009
- Article first published online: 12 MAR 2009
- Accepted in revised form 24 September 2008; received 30 May 2008
- Home smoke alarms: the data as context for decision making. Fire Technol., 2008, 44: 313–327.
- The ideal characteristics for the calling signal of a subscriber's telephone set, Research Report No. 21143, Post office Research Station, Dollis Hill, London, 1967. , and
- The effect of alcohol upon response to fire alarm signals in sleeping young adults. In: J.Shields (Ed.) Proceedings of the Third Human Behaviour in Fire Conference. Interscience Communications, London, 2004: 291–302. and
- Influence of age on the ability to hear telephone ringers of different spectral content. In: Proceedings of the Human Factors and Ergonomics 34th Annual Meeting. Human Factors and Ergonomics Society, Santa Monica CA, 1990: 132–136. and
- Performance during sleep. In: W. B.Webb (Ed.) Biological Rhythms, Sleep and Performance. Wiley, New York, 1982: 205–237.
- The who, what, where and why of waking to alarms: a review. Fire Saf. J., 2001, 36: 623–639.
- Optimising emergency awakening to audible smoke alarms: an update. Hum. Factors, 2007, 49: 585–601. and
- The effectiveness of different alarms in waking sleeping children. In: J.Shields (Ed.) Proceedings of the Third Human Behaviour in Fire Conference. Interscience Communications, London, 2004: 279–290. , , and
- Waking effectiveness of alarms (auditory, visual and tactile) for adults who are hard of hearing. Report for the Fire Protection Research Foundation, 2007. Retrieved 10th October 2007 from http://www.nfpa.org/assets/files//PDF/Research/hardofhearing&alarms.pdf and
- Towards a better smoke alarm signal – an evidence based approach. In: B.Karlson (Ed.) Proceedings of the International Association of Fire Safety Science, Karlsruhe, Germany. Interscience Communications, London, 2008a. and
- Comparison of the effectiveness of different emergency notification signals in sleeping older adults. Fire Technol., 2008b, 44: 15–38. and
- Waking Effectiveness of Alarms (Auditory, Visual and Tactile) for the Alcohol Impaired. Report for the Fire Protection Research Foundation, 2007. Retrieved 10th October 2007 from http://www.nfpa.org/assets/files//PDF/Research/alcohol&alarmsreport.pdf , and
- Reducing Fire Deaths in Older Adults: Investigation of Auditory Arousal with Different Alarm Signals in Sleeping Older Adults. Report for the Fire Protection Research Foundation, 2006. Retrieved 10th October 2007 from http://www.nfpa.org/assets/files//PDF/Research/Investigation_of_Auditory_Arousal.pdf , and
- Neuronal activities underlying the electroencephalogram and evoked potentials of sleeping and waking: implications for information processing. Neurosci. Biobehav. Rev., 1995, 19: 447–463.
- Animal models for information processing during sleep. Int. J. Psychophysiol., 2002, 46: 163–175. and
- “Sensation n.” A Dictionary of Psychology. Oxford University Press, 2006. Oxford Reference Online, Victoria University. Retrieved on 10 July 2008 from http://www.oxfordreference.com.library.vu.edu.au:80/views/ENTRY.html?subview=Main&entry=t87.e7476
- Prevalence of hearing loss in older adults in Beaver Dam, Wisconsin: the epidemiology of hearing loss study. Am. J. Epidemiol., 1998, 148: 878–886. , , , , , and
- Waking effectiveness of audible, visual and vibratory emergency alarms on people of all hearing abilities. In: Proceedings of the Accessible Emergency Notification and Communication: State of the Science Conference, Gallaudet University, Washington DC, 2005, Nov 2–3. Retrieved on 27th August, 2006 from http://tap.gallaudet.edu/EmergencyConf/Papers/Du%20Bois.htm. , , and
- Auditory thalamus neurons during sleep: changes in frequency selectivity, threshold, and receptive field size. J. Neurophysiology, 2000, 84: 934–952. , and
- Habituation during sleep. Psychophysiology, 1973, 10: 43–51.
- The Ecological Approach to Visual Perception. Houghton Mifflin Company, Boston MA, 1979.
- The perceived urgency of speech warnings’ semantics versus acoustics. Hum. Factors, 2002, 44: 1–16. , , , and
- Determination of an Effective Tone Ringer Signal. Preprint number 722 (M-5) from the 38th Convention of the Audio Engineering Society. Audio Engineering Society, New York NY, 1970.
- ISO 8201. Acoustics – Audible Emergency Evacuation Signal. International Organisation for Standardisation (ISO), Geneva, Switzerland, 1987.
- Discriminative responses to stimulation during human sleep. Brain, 1960, 83: 440–453. , and
- Auditory warning sounds in the work environment. Philos. Trans. R. Soc. Lond., B, Biol. Sci., 1990, 327: 485–492.
- A manual of standardized terminology, techniques and scoring system for sleep stages of human subjects. U. S. National Institute of Neurological Diseases and Blindness Neurological Information Network, Bethesda, 1968. and
- Time of night and first night effects on arousal response in healthy adults. Clin. Neurophysiol., 2008, 119: 1590–1599. , , and
- SPSS. Statistical Package for the Social Sciences, version 14, SPSS, Chicago, IL, 2005.
- Auditory affordances in the intensive treatment unit. Appl. Ergon., 1998, 29: 389–394. and
- Injuries and fatalities in apartment building fires. In: D. D.Evans (Ed.) International Association for Fire Safety Science – Proceedings of the Seventh International Symposium, Karlsruhe, Germany. Interscience Communications, Worcester, MA, 2002, 1085–1096. and
- Auditory frequency sensitivity in the neonate: a signal detection analysis. J. Exp. Child Psychol., 1976, 21: 219–225.
- Attention, discrimination, and arousal during sleep. Arch. Gen. Psychiatry, 1966, 15: 523–528. and
- Response to auditory stimulation during sleep. Arch. Gen. Psychiatry, 1961, 4: 40–44. and
- Critical band widths in loudness summation. J. Acoust. Soc. Am., 1957, 29: 548–557. , and