Sleep and time course of consolidation of visual discrimination skills in patients with narcolepsy–cataplexy
Version of Record online: 12 MAR 2009
© 2009 European Sleep Research Society
Journal of Sleep Research
Volume 18, Issue 2, pages 209–220, June 2009
How to Cite
CIPOLLI, C., CAMPANA, G., CAMPI, C., MATTAROZZI, K., MAZZETTI, M., TUOZZI, G., VANDI, S., VIGNATELLI, L. and PLAZZI, G. (2009), Sleep and time course of consolidation of visual discrimination skills in patients with narcolepsy–cataplexy. Journal of Sleep Research, 18: 209–220. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2869.2008.00712.x
- Issue online: 19 MAY 2009
- Version of Record online: 12 MAR 2009
- Accepted in revised form 26 September 2008; received 10 December 2007
- The spread of attention and learning in feature search: effects of target distribution and task difficulty. Vision Res., 2000, 40: 1349–1364. and
- Altered sleep/wake patterns and mental performance. Physiol. Behav., 2007, 90: 209–218.
- Learning and sleep: the sequential hypothesis. Sleep Med. Rev., 2001, 5: 477–490. and
- American Academy of Sleep Medicine. The International Classification of Sleep Disorders Diagnostic and Coding Manual, 2nd edn. American Academy of Sleep Medicine, Westchester, 2005.
- Impaired declarative memory consolidation during sleep in patients with primary insomnia: influence of sleep architecture and nocturnal cortisol release. Biol. Psychiatry, 2006, 60: 1324–1330. , , , , and
- A 3 min reasoning test based on grammatical transformation. Psychon. Sci., 1968, 10: 341–342.
- Behavioral and physiological consequences of sleep restriction. J. Clin. Sleep Med., 2007, 3: 519–528. and
- An inventory for measuring depression. Arch. Gen. Psychiatry, 1961, 4: 561–571. , , , and
- A link between perceptual learning, adaptation and sleep. Vision Res., 2006, 46: 4071–4074. , and
- Spatial and temporal memories are affected by sleep fragmentation in obstructive sleep apnea syndrome. J. Clin. Exp. Neuropsychol., 2007, 30: 91–101. , , , and
- Narcolepsy with cataplexy. Lancet, 2007, 369: 499–511. , and
- Cognitive dysfunction in patients with obstructive sleep apnea (OSA): partial reversibility after continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP). Brain Res. Bull., 2003, 61: 87–92. , , , , , and
- A model-based approach to homeostatic and ultradian aspects of nocturnal sleep structure in narcolepsy. Sleep, 2007, 30: 157–165. , , , and
- Probit Analysis, 3rd edn. Cambridge University Press, New York, 1971.
- Changes in REM-sleep percentage over the adult lifespan. Sleep, 2007, 30: 829–836. , , and
- Cognitive dysfunction in sleep disorders. Sleep Med. Rev., 2001, 5: 423–445. and
- Early sleep triggers memory for early visual discrimination skills. Nat. Neurosci., 2000, 3: 1335–1339. , , and
- The sequential hypothesis of the function of sleep. Behav. Brain Res., 1995, 69: 157–166. , , , , , and
- An alternative measure of sleep fragmentation in clinical practice: the sleep fragmentation index. Sleep Med., 2004, 5: 577–581. , and
- Arousal and reward: a dichotomy in orexin function. Trends Neurosci., 2006, 29: 571–577. and
- Evidence of a perceptual-encoding deficit in narcolepsy? Sleep, 1993, 16: 123–127. , and
- Quantification of sleepiness: a new approach. Psychophysiology, 1973, 10: 431–436. , , , and
- Sleepiness and performance in narcolepsy. J. Sleep Res., 1996, 5: 128–134. and
- Metamemory in narcolepsy. J. Sleep Res., 1997, 6: 205–210. and
- The prevalence of narcolepsy: an epidemiological study of the Finnish Twin Cohort. Ann. Neurol., 1994, 35: 709–716. , , , , , and
- A new method for measuring daytime sleepiness: the Epworth Sleepiness Scale. Sleep, 1991, 14: 540–545.
- Where practice makes perfect in texture discrimination: evidence for primary visual cortex plasticity. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA, 1991, 88: 4966–4970. and
- The time course of learning a visual skill. Nature, 1993, 365: 250–252. and
- Dependence on REM sleep of overnight improvement of a perceptual skill. Science, 1994, 265: 679–682. , , , and
- Microarousals in patients with sleep apnoea/hypopnoea syndrome. J. Sleep Res., 1997, 6: 276–280. , , and
- Sleep-dependent learning: a nap is as good as a night. Nat. Neurosci., 2003, 6: 697–698. , and
- HLA DQB1*0602 is associated with cataplexy in 509 narcoleptic patients. Sleep, 1997, 20: 1012–1020. , , , and
- Cognitive deficits in narcolepsy. J. Sleep Res., 2006, 15: 329–338. , and
- Clinical and neurobiological aspects of narcolepsy. Sleep Med., 2007, 8: 373–399.
- Impaired sleep-related memory consolidation in primary insomnia – a pilot study. Sleep, 2006, 29: 1068–1073. , , , , and
- SPSS/PC + 5.0 Statistical Data Analysis for Windows. SPSS Inc., Chicago, 1992.
- Repeated nocturnal sleep latencies in narcoleptic, sleepy and alert subjects. Clin. Neurophysiol., 1999, 110: 1531–1534. , , , , , , and
- Meta-analysis of quantitative sleep parameters from childhood to old age in healthy individuals: developing normative sleep values across the human lifespan. Sleep, 2004, 27: 1255–1273. , , and
- Changes in sleep architecture following motor learning depend on initial skill level. J. Cogn. Neurosci., 2007, 19: 817–829. , and
- Effects of early and late nocturnal sleep on priming and spatial memory. Psychophysiology, 1999, 36: 571–582. and
- A Manual of Standardized Terminology, Techniques and Scoring System for Sleep Stages of Human Subjects. Brain Information Service, Los Angeles, 1968. and
- Validity of the Trail Making Test as an indicator of organic brain damage. Percept. Mot. Skills, 1958, 8: 271–276.
- Sleep and cognitive (memory) function: research and clinical perspectives. Sleep Med., 2001, 2: 379–387. , and
- Daytime variation in performance and tiredness/sleepiness ratings in patients with insomnia, narcolepsy, sleep apnea and normal controls. J. Sleep Res., 2004, 13: 373–383. , and
- Night-tonight variability in periodic leg movements in patients with restless syndrome. Sleep Med., 2005, 6: 259–267. and
- Cardiac variability and heart-rate increment as a marker of sleep fragmentation in patients with sleep disorder: a preliminary study. Sleep, 2007, 30: 43–51. , , , and
- The epidemiology of narcolepsy in Olmsted county, Minnesota: a population based study. Sleep, 2002, 25: 197–202. , , and
- Posttraining increases in REM sleep intensity implicate REM sleep in memory processing and provide a biological marker of learning potential. Learn. Mem., 2004, 11: 714–719. , and
- The organization of declarative and nondeclarative memory. In: T.Ono, L. R.Squire, M. E.Raichle, D. I.Perrett and M.Fukuda (Eds) Brain Mechanisms of Perception and Memory: From Neuron to Behavior. Oxford University Press, New York, 1993: 219–227.
- Sleep-dependent memory consolidation. Nature, 2005, 437: 1272–1278.
- Visual discrimination learning requires sleep after training. Nat. Neurosci., 2000a, 3: 1237–1238. , and
- Visual discrimination task improvement: a multi-step process occurring during sleep. J. Cogn. Neurosci., 2000b, 12: 246–254. , , , and
- Trail making test A and B: normative data stratified by age and education. Arch. Clin. Neuropsychol., 2004, 19: 203–214.
- Sleep and the time course of motor skill learning. Learn. Mem., 2003, 10: 275–284. , , , , and
- Wechsler Adult Intelligence Scale – Revised Manual. The Psychological Corporation, Cleveland, 1981.
- Wechsler Memory Scale-Revised Manual. The Psychological Corporation, New York, 1987.