Sleep duration and mortality: a systematic review and meta-analysis
Article first published online: 19 MAY 2009
© 2009 European Sleep Research Society
Journal of Sleep Research
Volume 18, Issue 2, pages 148–158, June 2009
How to Cite
GALLICCHIO, L. and KALESAN, B. (2009), Sleep duration and mortality: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Journal of Sleep Research, 18: 148–158. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2869.2008.00732.x
- Issue published online: 19 MAY 2009
- Article first published online: 19 MAY 2009
- Accepted in revised form 31 October 2008; received 23 October 2008
- Sleep as restitution: an introduction. J. Intern. Med., 2003, 254: 6–12. and
- Article reviewed: mortality associated with sleep duration and insomnia. Sleep Med., 2002, 3: 373–375.
- Sleep duration and mortality in Japan: the Jichi Medical School Cohort Study. J. Epidemiol., 2004, 14: 124–128. , , , , , and
- A prospective study of self-reported sleep duration and incident diabetes in women. Diabetes Care, 2003a, 26: 380–384. , , , , , , and
- A prospective study of sleep duration and coronary heart disease in women. Arch. Intern. Med., 2003b, 163: 205–209. , , , , , and
- Relationship of health practices and mortality. Prev. Med., 1973, 2: 67–81.
- Personal health practices and mortality among the elderly. Am. J. Public Health, 1984, 74: 1126–1129. and
- Persistence of health habits and their relationship to mortality. Prev. Med., 1980, 9: 469–483. and
- Over 8 hours of sleep: marker of increased mortality in Mediterranean population: follow-up population study. Croat. Med. J., 2003, 44: 193–198. , and
- Sleep duration and risk of ischemic stroke in postmenopausal women. Stroke, 2008, 39: 3185–3192. , , , , , , , and
- Healthy older adults’ sleep predicts all-cause mortality at 4 to 19 years of follow-up. Psychosom. Med., 2003, 65: 63–73. , , , , , , , and
- A prospective study of change in sleep duration: associations with mortality in the Whitehall II cohort. Sleep, 2007, 30: 1659–1666. , , , , , and
- Larks and owls and health, wealth, and wisdom. BMJ, 1998, 317: 1675–1677. and
- Association of health behavior and social role with total mortality among Japanese elders in Okinawa, Japan. Aging Clin. Exp. Res., 2003, 15: 443–450. , , and
- Who are the long sleepers? Towards an understanding of the mortality relationship. Sleep Med. Rev., 2007, 11: 341–360. and
- Some preliminary findings on physical complaints from a prospective study of 1,064,004 men and women. Am. J. Public Health, 1964, 54: 11–23.
- Sleep duration and mortality: the effect of short or long sleep duration on cardiovascular and all-cause mortality in working men and women. Sleep Med., 2002, 3: 305–314. , , , and
- Sleep and mortality: a population-based 22-year follow-up study. Sleep, 2007, 30: 1245–1253. , , and
- Symptoms of psychological distress predict 7-year mortality. Psychol. Med., 1995, 25: 1073–1086. and
- Institute of Medicine. Sleep Disorders and Sleep Deprivation: An Unmet Public Health Problem. The National Academies Press, Washington DC, 2006.
- Mortality among the elderly in the Alameda County Study: behavioral and demographic risk factors. Am. J. Public Health, 1987, 77: 307–312. , , , and
- Combined impact of health behaviours and mortality in men and women: the EPIC-Norfolk prospective population study. PLoS Med., 2008, 5: e12. , , , , and
- The metabolic consequences of sleep deprivation. Sleep Med. Rev., 2007, 11: 163–178. , , and
- Sleep duration and body mass index in a rural population. Arch. Intern. Med., 2006, 166: 1701–1705. , , , , , and
- Sleep patterns and total mortality: a 12-year follow-up study in Japan. J. Epidemiol., 2000, 10: 87–93. , , , , , , , , and
- Sleeping pills and insomnia. Science, 1979, 205: 8.
- Mortality associated with sleep duration and insomnia. Arch. Gen. Psychiatry, 2002, 59: 131–136. , , , and
- Nighttime sleep, Chinese afternoon nap, and mortality in the elderly. Sleep, 2007, 30: 1105–1110. , , , and
- Objectively measured sleep characteristics among early-middle-aged adults: the CARDIA study. Am. J. Epidemiol., 2006, 164: 5–16. , , et al.
- Sleep complaints predict coronary artery disease mortality in males: a 12-year follow-up study of a middle-aged Swedish population. J. Intern. Med., 2002, 251: 207–216. , and
- Is sleep duration related to obesity? A critical review of the epidemiological evidence. Sleep Med. Rev., 2008, 12: 289–298. , and
- Body mass index and mortality: a meta-analysis based on person-level data from twenty-six observational studies. Ann. Epidemiol., 2005, 15: 87–97.
- Effect of sleep loss on C-reactive protein, an inflammatory marker of cardiovascular risk. J. Am. Coll. Cardiol., 2004, 43: 678–683. , , , , , and
- Rating chronic medical illness burden in geropsychiatric practice and research: application of the Cumulative Illness Rating Scale. Psychiatry Res., 1992, 41: 237–248. , , , , , , and .
- Insomnia. In: A. M.Nezu, C. M.Nezu, P. A.Geller and I. B.Weiner (Eds) Handbook of Psychology. John Wiley and Sons, Hoboken, NJ, 2003: 317–338. , , and
- Association of physical activity with all-cause and cardiovascular mortality: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Eur. J Cardiovasc. Prev. Rehabil., 2008, 15: 239–246. , , , , and
- A prospective study of sleep duration and mortality risk in women. Sleep, 2004, 27: 440–444. , , , , , , and
- Correlates of long sleep duration. Sleep, 2006, 29: 881–889. , , , and
- Sleep problems in the community elderly as predictors of death and nursing home placement. J. Commun. Health, 1990, 15: 123–135. , , , and
- Habitual sleep patterns and risk for stroke and coronary heart disease: a 10-year follow-up from NHANES I. Neurology, 1997, 48: 904–911. , , and
- Relationship of health behaviours to five-year mortality in an elderly cohort. Age Ageing, 1995, 24: 113–119. , and
- Hypnotics, sleep, and mortality in elderly people. J. Am. Geriatr. Soc., 1992, 40: 787–791. and
- Soluble TNF-alpha receptor 1 and IL-6 plasma levels in humans subjected to the sleep deprivation model of spaceflight. J. Allergy Clin. Immunol., 2001, 107: 165–170. , , , , , , , and
- Metabolic and endocrine changes. In: C.Kushida (Ed.) Sleep Deprivation: Basic Science, Physiology, and Behavior. Marcel Dekker, New York, 2005: 293–318. , and
- Self-reported sleep duration as a predictor of all-cause mortality: results from the JACC study, Japan. Sleep, 2004, 27: 51–54. and
- Health practices and mortality in a rural Japanese population. Tohoku J. Exp. Med., 1993, 171: 339–348. , and
- Impact of sleep and sleep loss on neuroendocrine and metabolic function. Horm. Res., 2007, 67(Suppl. 1): 2–9. , , , , , , , , and
- Sleep and reported daytime sleepiness in normal subjects: the Sleep Heart Health Study. Sleep, 2004, 27: 293–298. , , , , , , and
- Mortality risk associated with sleeping patterns among adults. Sleep, 1983, 6: 102–107. and
- A multivariate analysis of health-related practices: a nine-year mortality follow-up of the Alameda County Study. Am. J. Epidemiol., 1982, 116: 765–775. , and
- Long sleep and mortality: rationale for sleep restriction. Sleep Med. Rev., 2004, 8: 159–174. and