Linking impulsivity to dysfunctional thought control and insomnia: a structural equation model
Article first published online: 29 JUL 2009
© 2009 European Sleep Research Society
Journal of Sleep Research
Volume 19, Issue 1-Part-I, pages 3–11, March 2010
How to Cite
SCHMIDT, R. E., GAY, P., GHISLETTA, P. and VAN DER LINDEN, M. (2010), Linking impulsivity to dysfunctional thought control and insomnia: a structural equation model. Journal of Sleep Research, 19: 3–11. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2869.2009.00741.x
- Issue published online: 19 FEB 2010
- Article first published online: 29 JUL 2009
- Accepted in revised form 6 January 2009; received 8 May 2008
- Reliability of personality disorder symptoms and personality traits in substance-dependent inpatients. J. Abnorm. Psychol., 2001, 110: 341–352. , , and
- Validation of the Insomnia Severity Index as an outcome measure for insomnia research. Sleep Med., 2001, 2: 297–307. , and
- Signs of insomnia in borderline personality disorder individuals. J. Clin. Sleep Med., 2008, 4: 462–470. , , and
- The strength model of self-control. Curr. Dir. Psychol. Sci., 2007, 6: 351–355. Direct Link:, and
- Decision-making and impulse control after frontal lobe injuries. Curr. Opin. Neurol., 2005, 18: 734–739. and
- Decision-making and addiction (part II): myopia for the future or hypersensitivity to reward? Neuropsychologia, 2002, 40: 1690–1705. , and
- Evaluation de l’insomnie: validation de trois questionnaires [Evaluation of insomnia: validation of three questionnaires]. L’Encéphale, 1997, 23: 447–453. , , and
- Hyperactive night and day? Actigraphy studies in adult ADHD: a baseline comparison and the effect of methylphenidate. Sleep, 2007, 4: 433–442. , , , , and
- The Pittsburgh sleep quality index: a new instrument for psychiatric practice and research. Psychiatry Res., 1989, 28: 193–213. , , , and
- Revised NEO Personality Inventory (NEO-PI-R) and NEO Five-Factor Inventory (NEO-FFI) Professional Manual. Psychological Assessment Resources, Odessa, FL, 1992. and
- An examination of thought control strategies employed by acute and chronic insomniacs. Sleep Med., 2002, 3: 393–400. and
- Insomnia: conceptual issues in the development, persistence, and treatment of sleep disorders in adults. Annu. Rev. Psychol., 2002, 53: 215–243.
- The attention–intention–effort pathway in the development of psychophysiologic insomnia: a theoretical review. Sleep Med. Rev., 2006, 10: 215–245. , , , and
- Varieties of impulsivity. Psychopharmacology, 1999, 146: 348–361.
- Heterogeneous inhibition processes involved in different facets of self-reported impulsivity: evidence from a community sample. Acta Psychol., 2008, 129: 332–339. , , , and
- Association of impulsivity with sleep duration and insomnia in an employee population. Pers. Individ. Dif., 2007, 43: 307–318. , , et al.
- The effects of a cognitive intrusion manipulation on the sleep onset latency of good sleepers. Behav. Ther., 1982, 13: 112–116. and
- Stress-related intrusive thoughts disrupt sleep-onset and continuity. Sleep Res., 1996, 25: 163. , , , and
- I can’t sleep, my mind is racing! An investigation of strategies of thought control in insomnia. Behav. Cogn. Psychother., 2001, 29: 3–11.
- A cognitive model of insomnia. Behav. Res. Ther., 2002, 40: 869–893.
- The attempted suppression of presleep cognitive activity in insomnia. Cogn. Ther. Res., 2003, 27: 593–602.
- The efficacy of a Pennebaker-like writing intervention for poor sleepers. Behav. Sleep Med., 2003, 1: 115–124. and
- The management of unwanted pre-sleep thoughts in insomnia: distraction with imagery versus general distraction. Behav. Res. Ther., 2002, 40: 267–277. and
- Cognitive approaches to insomnia. Clin. Psychol. Rev., 2005, 25: 593–611. , and
- Sleep and aggression in substance-abusing adolescents: results from an integrative behavioral sleep-treatment pilot program. Sleep, 2006, 29: 512–520. , , , , and
- Cutoff criteria for fit indexes in covariance structure analysis: conventional criteria versus new alternatives. Struct. Equ. Modeling, 1999, 6: 1–55. and
- The relationship between sleeping problems and aggression, anger, and impulsivity in a population of juvenile and young offenders. J. Adolesc. Health, 2006, 38: 649–655. and
- Is perfectionism related to pre-existing and future insomnia? Br. J. Clin. Psychol., 2007, 46: 119–124. and
- Sleep-related attentional bias in good, moderate, and poor (primary insomnia) sleepers. J. Abnorm. Psychol., 2005, 114: 249–258. , , , and
- Personality patterns in insomnia. Arch. Gen. Psychiatry, 1976, 33: 1128–1134. , , , and
- A test of the four-factor model of impulsivity-related traits. Pers. Individ. Dif., 2003, 34: 1403–1418. , , and
- Psychiatric aspects of impulsivity. Am. J. Psychiatry, 2001, 158: 1783–1793. , , , and
- Factors influencing persistent subjective insomnia in old age: a follow-up study of good and poor sleepers aged 65 to 74. Age Ageing, 1989, 18: 117–122. , and
- Psychological and behavioral treatment of insomnia: update of the recent evidence (1998–2004). Sleep, 2006, 29: 1398–1414. , , , , and
- National Sleep Foundation. Sleep in America Poll, 2008. Available at: http://www.sleepfoundation.org/site/c.huIXKjM0IxF/b.3933533/ (accessed 15 March 2008).
- Attempts to control unwanted thoughts in the night: development of the thought control questionnaire-insomnia revised (TCQI-R). Behav. Res. Ther., 2005, 43: 985–998. , , , and
- Dreaming of white bears: the return of the suppressed at sleep onset. Conscious. Cogn., 2008, 17: 714–724. and
- Validation of a French version of the Thought Control Questionnaire Insomnia-Revised (TCQI-R). Eur. Rev. Appl. Psychol., 2009, 59: 69–78. , and
- Facets of impulsivity are differentially linked to insomnia: evidence from an exploratory study. Behav. Sleep Med., 2008, 6: 178–192. , and
- On the validity and utility of discriminating among impulsivity-related traits. Assessment, 2007, 14: 155–170. , , , , and
- Effects of cognitive arousal and physiological arousal on sleep perception. Sleep, 2004, 27: 69–78. and
- A French adaptation of the UPPS Impulsive Behavior Scale: confirmatory factor analysis in a sample of undergraduate students. Eur. J. Psychol. Assess., 2006, 22: 38–42. , , et al.
- Anxiety sensitivity: predictor of sleep-related impairment and medication use in chronic insomnia. Depress. Anxiety, 2001, 14: 238–243. and
- The five factor model and impulsivity: using a structural model of personality to understand impulsivity. Pers. Individ. Dif., 2001, 30: 669–689. and