No persisting effect of partial sleep curtailment on cognitive performance and declarative memory recall in adolescents
Article first published online: 28 JUL 2009
© 2009 University Medical Center Freiburg
Journal of Sleep Research
Volume 19, Issue 1-Part-I, pages 71–79, March 2010
How to Cite
KOPASZ, M., LOESSL, B., VALERIUS, G., KOENIG, E., MATTHAEAS, N., HORNYAK, M., KLOEPFER, C., NISSEN, C., RIEMANN, D. and VODERHOLZER, U. (2010), No persisting effect of partial sleep curtailment on cognitive performance and declarative memory recall in adolescents. Journal of Sleep Research, 19: 71–79. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2869.2009.00742.x
- Issue published online: 19 FEB 2010
- Article first published online: 28 JUL 2009
- Accepted in revised form 17 December 2008; received 17 June 2008
- Immediate as well as delayed post learning sleep but not wakefulness enhances declarative memory consolidation in children. Neurobiol. Learn. Mem., 2008, 89: 76–80. , , , and
- Hypothalamus–pituitary–adrenal activity during human sleep: a coordinating role for the limbic hippocampal system. Exp. Clin. Endocrinol. Diabetes, 1998, 106: 153–163. and
- Sleep to remember. Neuroscientist, 2006, 12: 410–424. , and
- D2 Test of Attention (d2). Hogrefe, Göttingen, 1962. and
- Patterns of sleep and sleepiness in adolescents. Pediatrician, 1990, 17: 5–12.
- Acute restriction of nocturnal sleep in children. Percept. Mot. Skills, 1981a, 53: 103–112. , and
- Sleep loss in young adolescents. Sleep, 1981b, 4: 299–312. , and
- Adolescent sleep patterns, circadian timing, and sleepiness at a transition to early school days. Sleep, 1998, 21: 871–881. , , , and
- Adequate sleep among adolescents is positively associated with health status and health-related behaviors. BMC Public Health, 2006, 6: 59. , and
- Statistical Power Analysis for the Behavioral Sciences. Erlbaum, New York, 1988.
- Sleep, circadian rhythms, and delayed phase in adolescence. Sleep Med., 2007, 8: 602–612. , and
- Sleep loss, learning capacity and academic performance. Sleep Med. Rev., 2006, 10: 323–337. , and
- The impact of inadequate sleep on children’s daytime cognitive function. Semin. Pediatr. Neurol., 1996, 3: 44–50.
- Pathways to adolescent health sleep regulation and behavior. J. Adolesc. Health, 2002, 31: 175–184. and
- Neurocognitive consequences of sleep deprivation. Semin. Neurol., 2005, 25: 117–129. and
- Interfering with theories of sleep and memory: sleep, declarative memory, and associative interference. Curr. Biol., 2006, 16: 1290–1294. , , , and
- Effects of acute sleep restriction on behavior, sustained attention, and response inhibition in children. Percept. Mot. Skills, 2001, 93: 213–229. , , , and
- What in sleep is for memory. Sleep Med., 2004, 5: 225–230. and
- Tests for Attentional Performance (Testbatterie zur Aufmerksamkeitsprüfung, TAP). Fimm/Psytest, Herzogenrath, 1993. and
- Sleepless in Chicago: tracking the effects of adolescent sleep loss during the middle school years. Child Dev., 2004, 75: 84–95. , , and
- Low acetylcholine during slow-wave sleep is critical for declarative memory consolidation. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A., 2004a, 101: 2140–2144. and
- Declarative memory consolidation: mechanisms acting during human sleep. Learn. Mem., 2004b, 11: 679–685. and
- Learning-dependent increases in sleep spindle density. J. Neurosci., 2002, 22: 6830–6834. , , and
- Sleep after learning aids memory recall. Learn. Mem., 2006, 13: 259–262. , and
- Sleep transforms the cerebral trace of declarative memories. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A., 2007, 104: 18778–18783. , , et al.
- Circadian preference, sleep and daytime behaviour in adolescence. J. Sleep Res., 2002, 11: 191–199. , , and
- ‘Sleepiness’ is serious in adolescence: two surveys of 3235 Canadian students. BMC Public Health, 2006, 6: 116. , , et al.
- Effects of cumulative partial sleep deprivation on cognitive functions. J. Sleep Res., 2006, 15(Suppl. 1): 248–249. , , et al.
- Verbal Learning and Memory Test (Verbaler Lern- und Merkfähigkeitstest). Hogrefe, Göttingen, 2004 . , and
- A comparison of sleep deprivation and narcolepsy in terms of complex cognitive performance and subjective sleepiness. Sleep Med., 2002, 3: 259–266. and
- Why We Sleep: The Functions of Sleep in Humans and Other Mammals. Oxford University Press, Oxford, 1988.
- Frontal lobe function, sleep loss and fragmented sleep. Sleep Med Rev., 2001, 5: 463–475. and
- Neuropsychological impairment in obsessive-compulsive disorder—improvement over the course of cognitive behavioral treatment. J. Clin. Exp. Neuropsychol., 2006, 28: 1273–1287. , , et al.
- An ultra short episode of sleep is sufficient to promote declarative memory performance. J. Sleep Res., 2008, 17: 3–10. , , and
- Are adolescents chronically sleep-deprived? An investigation of sleep habits of adolescents in the southwest of Germany. Child Care Health Dev., 2008, 34: 549–556. , , , , and
- The role of sleep in learning and memory. Science, 2001, 294: 1048–1052.
- The contribution of sleep to hippocampus-dependent memory consolidation. Trends Cogn. Sci., 2007, 11: 442–450. and
- Word recall correlates with sleep cycles in elderly subjects. J. Sleep Res., 1999, 8: 185–188. , , et al.
- Time in bed, quality of sleep and school functioning of children. J. Sleep Res., 2000, 9: 145–153. , and
- Learning increases human electroencephalographic coherence during subsequent slow sleep oscillations. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A., 2004, 101: 13963–13968. , , and
- Meta-analysis of quantitative sleep parameters from childhood to old age in healthy individuals: developing normative sleep values across the human lifespan. Sleep, 2004, 27: 1255–1273. , , and
- Effects of sleep deprivation on performance: a meta-analysis. Sleep, 1996, 19: 318–326. and
- How sleep deprivation affects psychological variables related to college students’ cognitive performance. J. Am. Coll. Health, 1997, 46: 121–126. and
- Effects of early and late nocturnal sleep on declarative and procedural memory. J. Cogn. Neurosci., 1997, 9: 534–547. and
- Cognitive function following 3 nights of sleep restriction in children ages 10–14. Sleep, 1998, 21: s249. , and
- A Manual of Standardized Terminology, Techniques and Scoring System for Sleep Stages of Human Subjects. University of California, Brain Information Service/Brain Research Institute, Los Angeles, 1968. and
- Trail Making Test: Manual for Administration, Scoring and Interpretation. Indiana University Press, Indianapolis, 1956.
- Subjective daytime sleepiness and related predictors in Finnish schoolchildren. Sleep Hypnosis, 2000, 2: 139–146. , , and
- Sleep, neurobehavioral, and behavior problems in school-age children. Child Dev., 2002, 73: 405. , and
- The effects of sleep restriction and extension on school-age children: what a difference an hour makes. Child Dev., 2003, 74: 444–455. , and
- Visueller und Verbaler Merkfähigkeitstest. Hogrefe, Göttingen, 2001. and
- Specific impairments of planning. Philos. Trans. R. Soc. Lond., B, Biol. Sci., 1982, 298: 199–209.
- Sleep states and memory processes in humans: procedural versus declarative memory systems. Sleep Med. Rev., 2001, 5: 491–506.
- Pediatric sleep disorders: exploratory modulation of their relationships. Sleep, 2004, 27: 495–501. , and
- Working memory and sleep in 6- to 13-year-old schoolchildren. J. Am. Acad. Child Adolesc. Psychiatry, 2003, 42: 85–92. , , , , and
- Sleep and memory: the ongoing debate. Sleep, 2005, 28: 1225–1227. and
- Visual Discrimination task improvement: a multi-step process occuring during sleep. J. Cogn. Neurosci., 2000a, 12: 246–254. , , , and
- Visual discrimination learning requires sleep after training. Nat. Neurosci., 2000b, 3: 1237–1238. , and
- The cumulative cost of additional wakefulness: dose–response effects on neurobehavioral functions and sleep physiology from chronic sleep restriction and total sleep deprivation. Sleep, 2003, 26: 117–126. , , and
- Are there gender differences in objective and subjective sleep measures? A study of insomniacs and healthy controls. Depress Anxiety, 2003, 17: 162–172. , , , and
- Sleep schedules and daytime functioning in adolescents. Child Dev., 1998, 69: 875–887. and
- Understanding adolescents’ sleep patterns and school performance: a critical appraisal. Sleep Med. Rev., 2003, 7: 491–506. and