Highway driving performance and cognitive functioning the morning after bedtime and middle-of-the-night use of gaboxadol, zopiclone and zolpidem
Article first published online: 22 JUN 2009
© 2009 European Sleep Research Society
Journal of Sleep Research
Volume 18, Issue 4, pages 387–396, December 2009
How to Cite
LEUFKENS, T. R. M., LUND, J. S. and VERMEEREN, A. (2009), Highway driving performance and cognitive functioning the morning after bedtime and middle-of-the-night use of gaboxadol, zopiclone and zolpidem. Journal of Sleep Research, 18: 387–396. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2869.2009.00746.x
- Issue published online: 17 NOV 2009
- Article first published online: 22 JUN 2009
- Accepted in revised form 9 January 2009; received 14 October 2008
- Association of road-traffic accidents with benzodiazepine use. Lancet, 1998, 352: 1331–1336. , , et al.
- The use of analogue scales in rating subjective feelings. Br. J. Med. Psychol., 1974, 47: 211–218. and
- Older adults and withdrawal from benzodiazepine hypnotics in general practice: effects on cognitive function, sleep, mood and quality of life. Psychol. Med., 2003, 33: 1223–1237. , , , , and
- Acute administration of gaboxadol improves sleep initiation and maintenance in patients with primary insomnia. Sleep, 2005, 28: A240. , , , and
- Effect of short-term treatment with gaboxadol on sleep maintenance and initiation in patients with primary insomnia. Sleep, 2007, 30: 281–287. , , , , and
- Treating insomnia: current and investigational pharmacological approaches. Pharmacol. Ther., 2006, 112: 612–629. , and
- The GABAA agonist THIP produces slow wave sleep and reduces spindling activity in NREM sleep in humans. Psychopharmacology, 1997, 130: 285–291. , and
- A ‘critical’ tracking task for man–machine research related to the operator’s effective delay time. I. Theory and experiments with a first-order divergent controlled element. NASA CR-616. NASA Contract Rep. NASA CR, 1966, 1–105. , and
- Standardization in platform stabilometry being part of posturography. Agressologie, 1983, 24: 321–326. , , , , and
- Effect of the GABAA agonist gaboxadol on nocturnal sleep and hormone secretion in healthy elderly subjects. Am. J. Physiol. Endocrinol. Metab., 2001, 281: E130–E137. , , and
- The relationship between drivers’ blood alcohol concentration (BAC) and actual driving performance during high speed travel. In: P. C.Noordzij and R.Roszbach (Eds) International Congress on Alcohol, Drugs and Traffic Safety, T86. Exerpta Medica, Amsterdam, 1987: 183–186. , , , and
- The pharmacokinetic properties of gaboxadol, a new hypnotic, in young and elderly men. Sleep, 2005, 28: A48. , , and
- Absorption, metabolism, and excretion profile of gaboxadol in humans. Sleep, 2006, 29: A41. , and
- The selective extrasynaptic GABAa agonist, gaboxadol, improves sleep maintenance and enhances slow wave sleep in adult patients with primary insomnia. J. Sleep Res., 2006, 15: 194–195. , , and
- The GABAa agonist gaboxadol improves the quality of post-nap sleep. Psychopharmacology, 2001, 157: 299–304. , and
- Effect of repeated gaboxadol administration on night sleep and next-day performance in healthy elderly subjects. Neuropsychopharmacology, 2005, 30: 833–841. , , and
- Laboratory studies of the effects of alcohol on some variables related to driving. J. Safety Res., 1973, 5: 185–199.
- Measurement of Subjective Sleep Quality. Elsevier, Amsterdam, 1981.
- Benzodiazepine-related traffic accidents in young and elderly drivers. Hum. Psychopharmacol. Clin., 1998, 13: S115–S123.
- Driving performance under the influence of drugs: rationale for, and application of, a new test. Br. J. Clin. Pharmacol., 1984, 18(Suppl. 1): 121s–129s.
- A study of the pharmacodynamic interaction between befloxatone and ethanol on performance and mood in healthy volunteers. J. Psychopharmacol., 1996, 10: 288–294. , , et al.
- L’examen clinique en psychologie. Presses Universitaires de France, Paris, 1964.
- Towards a model of stress and human performance. Acta Psychol., 1983, 53: 61–97.
- Memory effects of benzodiazepines: memory stages and types versus binding-site subtypes. Neural Plast., 2005, 12: 289–298. , , and
- Preliminary studies on the absorption, distribution, metabolism, and excretion of THIP in animal and man using 14C-labelled compound. Acta Pharmacol. Toxicol., 1981, 49: 116–124. , , and
- Pharmacological characterization of agonists at delta-containing GABAA receptors: functional selectivity for extrasynaptic receptors is dependent on the absence of gamma2. J. Pharmacol. Exp. Ther., 2006, 316: 1351–1359. and
- Zolpidem: a review of its use in the management of insomnia. CNS Drugs, 2005, 19: 65–89. and
- Residual effects of hypnotics: epidemiology and clinical implications. CNS Drugs, 2004, 18: 297–328.
- Acute effects of zolpidem and flunitrazepam on sleep, memory and driving performance, compared to those of partial sleep deprivation and placebo. Acta Ther., 1995, 21: 47–64. , , and
- Residual effects of evening and middle-of-the-night administration of zaleplon 10 and 20 mg on memory and actual driving performance. Hum. Psychopharmacol., 1998, 13: S98–S107. , and
- Differential residual effects of zaleplon and zopiclone on actual driving: a comparison with a low dose of alcohol. Sleep, 2002, 25: 224–231. , , , , and
- Residual effects of middle-of-the-night administration of zaleplon and zolpidem on driving ability, memory functions, and psychomotor performance. J. Clin. Psychopharmacol., 2002, 22: 576–583. , , et al.
- Residual effects of sleep medication on driving ability. Sleep Med. Rev., 2004, 8: 309–325. , and
- Zolpidem and traffic safety – the importance of treatment compliance. Curr. Drug Saf., 2007, 2: 220–226. , , , and
- The selective extrasynaptic GABAA agonist, gaboxadol, improves traditional hypnotic efficacy measures and enhances slow wave activity in a model of transient insomnia. Sleep, 2007, 30: 593–602. , , and