Sleep disorders and work performance: findings from the 2008 National Sleep Foundation Sleep in America poll
Version of Record online: 30 SEP 2010
© 2010 European Sleep Research Society
Journal of Sleep Research
Volume 20, Issue 3, pages 487–494, September 2011
How to Cite
SWANSON, L. M., ARNEDT, J. T., ROSEKIND, M. R., BELENKY, G., BALKIN, T. J. and DRAKE, C. (2011), Sleep disorders and work performance: findings from the 2008 National Sleep Foundation Sleep in America poll. Journal of Sleep Research, 20: 487–494. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2869.2010.00890.x
- Issue online: 26 JUL 2011
- Version of Record online: 30 SEP 2010
- Accepted in revised form 20 August 2010; received 6 May 2010
- American Academy of Sleep Medicine. The International Classification of Sleep Disorders: Diagnostic and Coding Manual, 2nd edn. American Academy of Sleep Medicine, Westchester, IL, 2005.
- Characteristics of insomnia in the united states: results of the 1991 National Sleep Foundation survey. I. Sleep, 1999, 22(Suppl. 2): S347–S353. and
- The role of actigraphy in the study of sleep and circadian rhythms. Sleep, 2003, 26: 342–392. , , , , and
- American time use survey: sleep time and its relationship to waking activities. Sleep, 2007, 30: 1085–1095. , , et al.
- Sleep disturbance and psychiatric disorders: a longitudinal epidemiological study of young adults. Biol. Psychiatry, 1996, 39: 411–418. , , and
- Clinical diagnoses in 216 insomnia patients using the International Classification of Sleep Disorders (ICSD), DSM-IV and ICD-10 categories: a report from the APA/NIMH DSM-IV field trial. Sleep, 1994, 17: 630–637. , and et al.
- STOP questionnaire: a tool to screen patients for obstructive sleep apnea. Anesthesiology, 2008, 108: 812–821. , , et al.
- Insomnia and its relationship to health-care utilization, work absenteeism, productivity and accidents. Sleep Med., 2008, 10: 427–438. , , , , and
- Shift work sleep disorder: prevalence and consequences beyond that of symptomatic day workers. Sleep, 2004, 27: 1453–1462. , , , and
- Zolpidem extended-release 12.5 mg associated with improvements in work performance in a 6-month randomized, placebo-controlled trial. Sleep, 2008, 31: 1371–1378. , , and
- Insomnia and absenteeism at work: who pays the cost? Sleep, 2006, 29: 179–184. , , , , and
- Prevalence of symptoms and risk of sleep apnea in the US population: results from the National Sleep Foundation Sleep in America 2005 poll. Chest, 2006, 130: 780–786. , , and
- Health benefit costs and absenteeism due to insomnia from the employer’s perspective: a retrospective, case-control, database study. J. Clin. Psychiatry, 2009, 70: 1098–1104. , , , and
- Trends in the prevalence of short sleepers in the USA: 1975–2006. Sleep, 2010, 33: 37–45. , , , and
- Sleep duration in the United States: a cross-sectional population-based study. Am. J. Epidemiol., 2009, 169: 1052–1063. and
- Insomnia and health-related quality of life. Sleep Med. Rev., 2010, 14: 69–82. , and
- Medical and socio-professional impact of insomnia. Sleep, 2002, 25: 625–629. , , , and
- SISYPHE Study Group. Professional correlates of insomnia. Sleep, 2006, 29: 171–178. , , and
- Role of snoring and daytime sleepiness in occupational accidents. Am. J. Respir. Crit. Care Med., 2001, 164: 2031–2035. , , and
- Insomnia and its relationship to work and health in a working-age population. J. Occup. Rehabil., 2000, 10: 169–183. and
- Chronic insomnia as a risk factor for developing anxiety and depression. Sleep, 2007, 30: 873–880. , and
- Epidemiology of insomnia: what we know and what we still need to learn. Sleep Med. Rev., 2002, 6: 97–111.
- The direct and indirect costs of untreated insomnia in adults in the United States. Sleep, 2007, 30: 263–273. , and
- Prevalence and correlates of restless legs syndrome: results from the 2005 National Sleep Foundation poll. Chest, 2006, 129: 76–80. , , and
- Sleep deprivation and injuries in part-time Kentucky farmers: impact of self reported sleep habits and sleep problems on injury risk. AAOHN J., 2004, 52: 373–382. , and
- Epidemiology of insomnia, depression, and anxiety. Sleep, 2005, 28: 1457–1464. , , , and
- Excessive daytime sleepiness at work and subjective work performance in the general population and among heavy snorers and patients with obstructive sleep apnea. Chest, 1996, 110: 659–663. , , and
- Sleep-disordered breathing and occupational accidents. Scand. J. Work Environ. Health, 2000, 26: 237–242. , and
- The cumulative cost of additional wakefulness: dose-response effects on neurobehavioral functions and sleep physiology from chronic sleep restriction and total sleep deprivation. Sleep, 2003, 26: 117–126. , , and
- Nightly treatment of primary insomnia with eszopiclone for six months: effect on sleep, quality of life, and work limitations. Sleep, 2007, 30: 959–968. , , et al.