Sleep loss and accidents
Prolonged nocturnal driving can be as dangerous as severe alcohol-impaired driving
Article first published online: 12 JAN 2011
© 2011 European Sleep Research Society
Journal of Sleep Research
Volume 20, Issue 4, pages 585–588, December 2011
How to Cite
VERSTER, J. C., TAILLARD, J., SAGASPE, P., OLIVIER, B. and PHILIP, P. (2011), Prolonged nocturnal driving can be as dangerous as severe alcohol-impaired driving. Journal of Sleep Research, 20: 585–588. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2869.2010.00901.x
- Issue published online: 14 NOV 2011
- Article first published online: 12 JAN 2011
- Accepted in revised form 12 November 2010; received 21 April 2010
- Driver sleepiness and risk of serious injury to car occupants: population based case control study. BMJ, 2002, 324: 1125. , , et al.
- Fatigue, alcohol and performance impairment. Nature, 1997, 388: 235. and
- Effects of different sleep reductions on daytime sleepiness. Sleep, 1999, 22: 336–343. , , and
- Gallup Organization. National Survey of Distracted and Drowsy Driving Attitudes and Behaviors: 2002. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, Washington, 2003.
- Awareness of sleepiness when driving. Psychophysiology, 2004, 41: 161–165. and
- Vehicle accidents related to sleep: a review. Occup. Environ. Med., 1999, 56: 289–294. and
- The relationship between drivers’ blood alcohol concentration (BAC) and actual driving performance during high speed travel. In: P. C. Noordzij and R. Roszbach (Eds) Alcohol, Drugs and Traffic Safety. Excerpta Medica, Amsterdam, 1987: 183–192. , , , and
- A general model of the effects of sleep medications on the risk and cost of motor vehicle accidents and its application to France. Pharmacoeconomics, 2001, 19: 69–78. , , and
- The sleep of long-haul truck drivers. N. Engl. J. Med., 1997, 337: 755–761. , , , and
- National Sleep Foundation. 2002 Sleep in America Poll. National Sleep Foundation, Washington, 2002.
- Characteristics of crashes attributed to the driver having fallen asleep. Accid. Anal. Prev., 1995, 27: 769–775. , , , , and
- Transport and industrial safety, how are they affected by sleepiness and sleep restriction? Sleep Med. Rev., 2006, 10: 347–356. and
- Long distance driving and self-induced sleep deprivation among automobile drivers. Sleep, 1999, 22: 475–480. , , , , and
- Fatigue, alcohol, and serious road crashes in France: factorial study on national data. BMJ, 2001, 322: 829–830. , , , and
- Sleepy driver near-misses may predict accident risks. Sleep, 2007, 30: 331–342. , , , , and
- Antidepressants and driver impairment: empirical evidence from a standard on-the-road test. J. Clin. Psychiatry, 2003, 64: 20–29.
- Underestimating the societal costs of impaired alertness: safety, health and productivity risks. Sleep Med., 2005, 6(Suppl. 1): S21–S25.
- Extended driving impairs nocturnal driving performances. PLoS ONE, 2008, 3: e3493. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0003493 , , et al.
- Drugs, Driving and Traffic Safety. Springer, Birkhäuser, Basel, 2009. , , and (Eds)