Sleep duration and weight gain
Association of sleep duration with weight and weight gain: a prospective follow-up study
Article first published online: 29 DEC 2010
© 2010 European Sleep Research Society
Journal of Sleep Research
Volume 20, Issue 2, pages 298–302, June 2011
How to Cite
LYYTIKÄINEN, P., RAHKONEN, O., LAHELMA, E. and LALLUKKA, T. (2011), Association of sleep duration with weight and weight gain: a prospective follow-up study. Journal of Sleep Research, 20: 298–302. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2869.2010.00903.x
- Issue published online: 25 APR 2011
- Article first published online: 29 DEC 2010
- Accepted in revised form 6 November 2010; received 27 July 2010
- The association between sleep duration, body mass index and metabolic measures in the Hordaland Health Study. J. Sleep Res., 2007, 16: 66–76. , , et al.
- Meta-analysis of short sleep duration and obesity in children and adults. Sleep, 2008, 31: 619–626. , , et al.
- The association between sleep duration and weight gain in adults: a 6-year prospective study from the Quebec Family Study. Sleep, 2008, 31: 517–523. , , and
- Environmental factors associated with body mass index in a population of Southern France. Eur. J. Cardiovasc. Prev. Rehabil., 2004, 11: 291–297. , , , , and
- Inadequate sleep as a risk factor for obesity: analyses of the NHANES I. Sleep, 2005, 28: 1289–1296. , , and
- The validity of two versions of the GHQ in the WHO study of mental illness in general health care. Psychol. Med., 1997, 27: 191–197. , , et al.
- Association of usual sleep duration with hypertension: the Sleep Heart Health Study. Sleep, 2006, 29: 1009–1014. , , et al.
- Self-reported sleep complaints with long and short sleep: a nationally representative sample. Psychosom. Med., 2004, 66: 239–241. and
- The association between short sleep duration and obesity in young adults: a 13-year prospective study. Sleep, 2004, 27: 661–666. , , et al.
- A scale for the estimation of sleep problems in clinical research. J. Clin. Epidemiol., 1988, 41: 313–321. , , and
- Trend in the prevalence of short sleepers in the USA: 1975–2006. Sleep, 2010, 33: 37–45. , , , and
- Mortality associated with sleep duration and insomnia. Arch. Gen. Psychiatry, 2002, 59: 131–136. , , , and
- Trends in self-reported sleep duration and insomnia-related in Finland from 1972 to 2005: a comparative review and re-analysis of Finnish population samples. J. Sleep Res., 2008, 17: 54–62. , , et al.
- Relationship of leisure-time physical activity and mortality. The Finnish twin cohort. JAMA, 1998, 279: 440–444. , , and
- Register-based study among employees showed small nonparticipation bias in health surveys and check-ups. J. Clin. Epidemiol., 2008, 61: 900–906. , , et al.
- Occupational class inequalities across key domains of health: results from the Helsinki Health Study. Eur. J. Public Health, 2005, 15: 504–510. , , , and
- The impact of physical activity on sickness absence. Scand. J. Med. Sci. Sports, 2010, 20: 191–199. , , and
- Sleep duration: how well do self-reports reflect objective measures? The CARDIA Sleep Study. Epidemiology, 2008, 19: 838–845. , , , and
- Cross-sectional and longitudinal associations between objectively measured sleep duration and body mass index. Am. J. Epidemiol., 2009, 170: 805–813. , , , , and
- Sleep duration, general and abdominal obesity, a weight change among the older adult population of Spain. Am. J. Clin. Nutr., 2008, 87: 310–316. , , , , and
- Sleep problems and major weight gain: a follow-up study. Int. J. Obes., 2010, doi:10.1038/ijo.2010.113. , , and
- Changes in sleep duration and changes in weight in obese patients: the Swedish Obese Subjects Study. Sleep Biol. Rhythms, 2010, 8: 63–71. , , , , and
- Sleep curtailment is accompanied by increased intake of calories from snacks. Am. J. Clin. Nutr., 2009, 89: 126–133. , , , , and
- Short sleep duration as a possible cause of obesity: critical analysis of the epidemiological evidence. Obes. Rev., 2010, doi:10.1111/j.1467-789X.2010.00724.x. , and
- Dietary patterns only partially explain the effects of short sleep duration on the incidence of obesity. Sleep, 2010, 33: 753–757. , and
- Association between reduced sleep and weight gain in women. Am. J. Epidemiol., 2006, 164: 947–954. , , , and
- Drinking habits and sickness absence: the contribution of working conditions. Scand. J. Public Health, 2009, 37: 846–854. , , and
- The association between obesity and short sleep duration: a population-based study. J. Clin. Sleep Med., 2005, 1: 357–363. , , , and
- Insomnia and long sleep duration are risk factors for later work disability. The Hordaland Health Study. J. Sleep Res., 2009, 18: 122–128. , , et al.
- Cross-sectional versus prospective associations of sleep duration with changes in relative weight and body fat distribution. Am. J. Epidemiol., 2008, 167: 321–329. , , et al.
- Short sleep duration is associated with reduced leptin, elevated ghrelin, and increased body mass index. PloS. Med., 2004, 1: 210–217. , , , and
- Thirty-five-year trends in cardiovascular risk factors in Finland. Int. J. Epidemiol., 2009, 39: 504–518. , , et al.
- Underreporting of BMI in adults and its effect on obesity prevalence estimations in the period 1998 to 2001. Obesity, 2006, 14: 2054–2063. , , and
- Association of short sleep duration with weight gain and obesity at 1-year follow-up. Sleep, 2010, 33: 161–167. , , and
- The association of sleep duration with adolescents’ fat and carbohydrate consumption. Sleep, 2010, 33: 1201–1209. , , , , and
- WHO. Obesity: preventing and managing the global epidemic. Report of a WHO Consultation. World Health Organ. Tech. Rep. Ser., 2000, 894: 1–253.
- WHO/FAO. Diet, nutrition and the prevention of chronic diseases. Report of a joint WHO/FAO expert consultation. World Health Organ. Tech. Rep. Ser., 2003, 916: 1–160.