Motor disturbances during non-REM and REM sleep in narcolepsy–cataplexy: a video-polysomnographic analysis
Article first published online: 25 JAN 2011
© 2011 European Sleep Research Society
Journal of Sleep Research
Volume 20, Issue 4, pages 514–521, December 2011
How to Cite
FRAUSCHER, B., GSCHLIESSER, V., BRANDAUER, E., SCHÖNWALD, S. V., FALKENSTETTER, T., EHRMANN, L., TOKMAK, I., POEWE, W. and HÖGL, B. (2011), Motor disturbances during non-REM and REM sleep in narcolepsy–cataplexy: a video-polysomnographic analysis. Journal of Sleep Research, 20: 514–521. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2869.2011.00906.x
- Issue published online: 14 NOV 2011
- Article first published online: 25 JAN 2011
- Accepted in revised form 15 December 2010; received 6 October 2010
- The rat ponto-medullary network responsible for paradoxical sleep onset and maintenance: a combined microinjection and functional neuroanatomical study. Eur. J. Neurosci., 2002, 16: 1959–1973. , , , , and
- Narcolepsy presenting as REM sleep behaviour disorder. Clin. Neurol. Neurosurg., 2008, 110: 518–520. , and
- ASDA report. EEG arousals: scoring rules and examples. Sleep, 1992, 15: 173–184. , , et al.
- Characterization of GABAergic neurons in rapid-eye-movement sleep controlling regions of the brain-stem reticular formation in GAD67-green fluorescent protein knock-in mice. Eur. J. Neurosci., 2008, 27: 352–363. , , et al.
- REM sleep characteristics in narcolepsy and REM sleep behavior disorder. Sleep, 2007, 30: 844–849. , , , , and
- Searching for a marker of REM sleep behavior disorder: submentalis muscle EMG amplitude analysis during sleep in patients with narcolepsy/cataplexy. Sleep, 2008, 31: 1409–1417. , , et al.
- Video analysis of motor events in REM sleep behavior disorder. Mov. Disord., 2007, 22: 1464–1470. , , et al.
- Narcolepsy: diagnosis and management. In: M. H. Kryger, T. Roth and W. C. Dement (Eds) Principles and Practice of Sleep Medicine, 4th edn. WB Saunders Company, Philadelphia, 2005: 780–891. and
- for the American Academy of Sleep Medicine. The AASM Manual for the Scoring of Sleep and Associated Events: Rules, Terminology and Technical Specifications, 1st edn. American Academy of Sleep Medicine, Westchester, Illinois, 2007. , , and ,
- International Classification of Sleep Disorders. Diagnostic and Coding Manual, 2nd edn. American Academy of Sleep Medicine, Westchester, IL, 2005.
- Insufficient non-REM sleep intensity in narcolepsy-cataplexy. Sleep, 2007, 30: 980–989. , , et al.
- Challenging sleep homeostasis in narcolepsy-cataplexy: implications for non-REM and REM sleep regulation. Sleep, 2008, 31: 859–867. , , et al.
- Rapid eye movement sleep behaviour disorder in patients with narcolepsy is associated with hypocretin-1 deficiency. Brain, 2010, 133: 568–579. , and
- Comorbidity in a patient cohort with narcolepsy. Sleep, 2008, 31(Abstract Suppl): A221. , , and .
- A putative flip-flop switch for control of REM sleep. Nature, 2006, 441: 589–594. , , and
- REM sleep parasomnias. In: M. H. Kryger, T. Roth and W. C. Dement (Eds) Principles and Practice of Sleep Medicine, 4th edn. W.B. Saunders Company, Philadelphia, 2005: 897–917. and
- Clinical, behavioural and polysomnographic correlates of cataplexy in patients with narcolepsy/cataplexy. Sleep Med., 2008, 9: 425–433. , , et al.
- Motor dyscontrol in sleep of narcoleptic patients (a lifelong development). J. Sleep Res., 1993, 2: 143–148. and
- Quantification of tonic and phasic muscle activity in REM sleep behavior disorder. J. Clin. Neurophysiol., 2008, 25: 48–55. , , et al.
- Spectral analysis of all-night human sleep EEG in narcoleptic patients and normal subjects. J. Sleep Res., 2003, 12: 63–71. , , , and
- REM behavior disorder (RBD) can be one of the first symptoms of childhood narcolepsy. Sleep Med., 2007, 8: 784–786. , , , and
- The association between narcolepsy and REM behavior disorder. Sleep Med., 2005, 6: 253–258. , , , , and
- Dynamics of slow wave activity in narcoleptic patients under bed rest conditions. Electroencephalogr. Clin. Neurophsyiol., 1995, 95: 414–425. , , , , and
- A Manual of Standardized Terminology, Techniques and Scoring System for Sleep Stages of Human Subjects. Brain Information Service/Brain Research Institute, Los Angeles, 1968. and
- REM sleep behavior disorder in patients with narcolepsy. Sleep, 2008, 31(Abstract Supplement): SA261. , and .
- The sleep switch: hypothalamic control of sleep and wakefulness. Trends Neurosci., 2001, 24: 726–731. , and
- Motor dyscontrol in narcolepsy: rapid eye movement (REM) sleep without atonia and REM sleep behavior disorder. Ann. Neurol., 1992, 32: 3–10. and
- Sleep deprivation in narcoleptic subjects: effect on sleep stages and EEG power density. Electroencephalogr. Clin. Neurophysiol., 1992, 83: 339–349. , , and
- Reduced number of hypocretin neurons in human narcolepsy. Neuron, 2000, 27: 469–474. , , et al.
- Hypocretinergic control of spinal motorneurons. J. Neurosci., 2004, 24: 5336–5345. , , and
- The official World Association of Sleep Medicine (WASM) standards for recording and scoring periodic leg movements in sleep (PLMS) and wakefulness (PLMW) developed in collaboration with a task force from the International Restless Legs Syndrome Study Group (IRLSSG). Sleep Med., 2006, 7: 175–183. , and et al.