Affective states and poor sleep
A two-dimensional approach to assessing affective states in good and poor sleepers
Version of Record online: 19 JAN 2011
© 2011 European Sleep Research Society
Journal of Sleep Research
Volume 20, Issue 4, pages 606–610, December 2011
How to Cite
ONG, J. C., CARDÉ, N. B., GROSS, J. J. and MANBER, R. (2011), A two-dimensional approach to assessing affective states in good and poor sleepers. Journal of Sleep Research, 20: 606–610. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2869.2011.00907.x
- Issue online: 14 NOV 2011
- Version of Record online: 19 JAN 2011
- Accepted in revised form 17 December 2010; received 26 November 2009
- American Academy of Sleep Medicine. The International Classification of Sleep Disorders—2. American Academy of Sleep Medicine, Rochester, MN, 2005.
- Hedonic tone, perceived arousal, and item desirability: three components of self-reported mood. Cogn. Emot., 1996, 10: 47–68.
- Measuring emotion: the self-assessment manikin and the semantic differential. J. Behav. Ther. Exp. Psychiatry, 1994, 25: 49–59. and
- Towards a valid, reliable measure of sleep effort. J. Sleep Res., 2005, 14: 401–407. and
- The Pittsburgh Sleep Quality Index: a new instrument for psychiatric practice and research. Psychiatry Res., 1989, 28: 193–213. , , and
- Daytime symptoms in primary insomnia: a prospective analysis using ecological momentary assessment. Sleep Med., 2007, 8: 198–208. , , et al.
- Derivation of research diagnostic criteria for insomnia: report of an American Academy of Sleep Medicine Work Group. Sleep, 2004, 27: 1567–1596. , , et al.
- A cognitive model of insomnia. Behav. Res. Ther., 2002, 40: 869–893.
- Presleep cognitive hyperarousal and affect as factors in objective and subjective insomnia. Percept. Mot. Skills, 1989, 69: 1219–1225. , and
- Quantitative criteria for insomnia. Behav. Res. Ther., 2003, 41: 427–445. , , , and
- National Sleep Foundation. Sleep in America Poll. National Sleep Foundation, Washington, DC, 2005.
- The phenomenology of the pre-sleep state: the development of the pre-sleep arousal scale. Behav. Res. Ther., 1985, 23: 263–271. , , and
- Functional neuroimaging evidence for hyperarousal in insomnia. Am. J. Psychiatry, 2004, 161: 2126–2128. , , , , and
- Mindfulness meditation and cognitive behavioral therapy for insomnia: a naturalistic 12-month follow-up. Explore (NY), 2009, 5: 30–36. , and
- The circumplex model of affect: an integrative approach to affective neuroscience, cognitive development, and psychopathology. Dev. Psychopathol., 2005, 17: 715–734. , and
- Structure of self-reported current affect: integration and beyond. J. Pers. Soc. Psychol., 1999, 77: 600–619. , and