Sleep loss and accidents
Effects of long work hours and poor sleep characteristics on workplace injury among full-time male employees of small- and medium-scale businesses
Version of Record online: 7 FEB 2011
© 2011 European Sleep Research Society
Journal of Sleep Research
Volume 20, Issue 4, pages 576–584, December 2011
How to Cite
NAKATA, A. (2011), Effects of long work hours and poor sleep characteristics on workplace injury among full-time male employees of small- and medium-scale businesses. Journal of Sleep Research, 20: 576–584. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2869.2011.00910.x
- Issue online: 14 NOV 2011
- Version of Record online: 7 FEB 2011
- Accepted in revised form 5 January 2011; received 19 July 2010
- A prospective study of fatal occupational accidents – relationship to sleeping difficulties and occupational factors. J. Sleep Res., 2002, 11: 69–71. , , and
- Do long workhours impact health, safety, and productivity at a heavy manufacturer? J. Occup. Environ. Med., 2007, 49: 148–171. , and .
- New epidemiologic findings about insomnia and its treatment. J. Clin. Psychiatry, 1992, 53(Suppl): 34–39; discussion 40–42. and
- American time use survey: sleep time and its relationship to waking activities. Sleep, 2007, 30: 1085–1095. , , et al.
- Possible broad impacts of long work hours. Ind. Health, 2006, 44: 531–536.
- Long working hours, safety, and health: toward a National Research Agenda. Am. J. Ind. Med., 2006, 49: 930–942. , , et al.
- Correlates of occupational injuries for various jobs in railway workers: a case–control study. J. Occup. Health, 2004, 46: 272–280. , , , and
- The impact of overtime and long work hours on occupational injuries and illnesses: new evidence from the United States. Occup. Environ. Med., 2005, 62: 588–597. , , and
- Long workhours, work scheduling and work-related injuries among construction workers in the United States. Scand. J. Work Environ. Health, 2005, 31: 329–335.
- Shift work, safety and productivity. Occup. Med. (Lond.), 2003, 53: 95–101. and
- Risk factors for injury among veterinarians. Epidemiology, 2002, 13: 80–86. and
- Female executives are particularly prone to the sleep-disturbing effect of isolated high-strain jobs: a cross-sectional study in German-speaking executives. J. Sleep Res., 2009, 18: 229–237. , , , , and
- SPSS syntax for missing value imputation in test and questionnaire data. Appl. Psychol. Meas., 2005, 29: 152–153. and
- Long hours of work in the U.S.: associations with demographic and organizational characteristics, psychosocial working conditions, and health. Am. J. Ind. Med., 2006, 49: 943–952. , , and
- Global estimates of occupational accidents. Saf. Sci., 2006, 44: 137–156. , and
- Exposure to job stress – a new psychometric instrument. Scand. J. Work Environ. Health, 1988, 14(Suppl. 1): 27–28. and
- Association between long working hours and sleep problems in white-collar workers. J. Sleep Res., in press. , and , et al.
- Sleep-related risk of occupational injuries in Japanese small and medium-scale enterprises. Ind. Health, 2005, 43: 89–97. , , et al.
- Non-fatal occupational injury among active and passive smokers in small- and medium-scale manufacturing enterprises in Japan. Soc. Sci. Med., 2006, 63: 2452–2463. , , et al.
- Perceived job stress and sleep-related breathing disturbance in Japanese male workers. Soc. Sci. Med., 2007, 64: 2520–2532. , , , , and
- Association of active and passive smoking with sleep disturbances and short sleep duration among Japanese working population. Int. J. Behav. Med., 2008, 15: 81–91. , , et al.
- Sleep disturbances as a predictor of occupational injuries among public sector workers. J. Sleep Res., 2010, 19: 207–213. , and , et al.
- Effects of long working hours and the night shift on severe sleepiness among workers with 12-hour shift systems for 5 to 7 consecutive days in the automobile factories of Korea. J. Sleep Res., 2008, 17: 385–394. , , , and
- Post-lunch nap as a worksite intervention to promote alertness on the job. Ergonomics, 2004, 47: 1003–1013. , , , and
- Extended work hours and risk of acute occupational injury: a case-crossover study of workers in manufacturing. Am. J. Ind. Med., 2007, 50: 597–603. , , et al.
- Long working hours and sleep disturbances: the Whitehall II prospective cohort study. Sleep, 2009, 32: 737–745. , , et al.