Sleep apnoea phenotypes
Effects of the presence of hypertension on the relationship between obstructive sleep apnoea and sleepiness
Article first published online: 9 FEB 2011
© 2011 European Sleep Research Society
Journal of Sleep Research
Volume 20, Issue 4, pages 538–543, December 2011
How to Cite
HARADA, Y., OGA, T., CHIN, K., TAKEGAMI, M., TAKAHASHI, K.-I., SUMI, K., NAKAMURA, T., NAKAYAMA-ASHIDA, Y., MINAMI, I., HORITA, S., OKA, Y., WAKAMURA, T., FUKUHARA, S., MISHIMA, M. and KADOTANI, H. (2011), Effects of the presence of hypertension on the relationship between obstructive sleep apnoea and sleepiness. Journal of Sleep Research, 20: 538–543. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2869.2011.00912.x
- Issue published online: 14 NOV 2011
- Article first published online: 9 FEB 2011
- Accepted in revised form 13 January 2011; received 21 October 2010
- for the Sleep Heart Health Study Group. Associations between gender and measures of daytime somnolence in the Sleep Heart Health Study. Sleep, 2004, 27: 305–311. , , , and ;
- Treatment with continuous positive airway pressure is not effective in patients with sleep apnea but no daytime sleepiness. a randomized, controlled trial. Ann. Intern. Med., 2001, 134: 1015–1023. , , et al.
- for the Spanish Sleep Breathing Group. Long-term effect of continuous positive airway pressure in hypertensive patients with sleep apnea. Am. J. Respir. Crit. Care Med., 2010, 181: 718–726. , , et al.;
- American Academy of Sleep Medicine; American Thoracic Society; American College of Chest Physicians. Practice parameters for the use of portable monitoring devices in the investigation of suspected obstructive sleep apnea in adults. Sleep, 2003, 26: 907–913. , and
- Associations between obstructive sleep apnea, metabolic syndrome and sleep duration, as measured with an actigraph, in an urban male working population in Japan. Sleep, 2010, 33: 89–95. , , et al.
- for the Portable Monitoring Task Force of the American Academy of Sleep Medicine. Clinical guidelines for the use of unattended portable monitors in the diagnosis of obstructive sleep apnea in adult patients. Portable Monitoring Task Force of the American Academy of Sleep Medicine. J. Clin. Sleep Med., 2007, 3: 737–747. , , et al.;
- Cardiovascular disease in obstructive sleep apnoea syndrome: the role of intermittent hypoxia and inflammation. Eur. Respir. J., 2009, 33: 1195–1205. , and
- Sleep apnea and hypertension. A population-based study. Ann. Intern. Med., 1994, 120: 382–388. , , , , and
- Joint National Committee. Fifth report of the Joint National Committee on Detection, Evaluation, and Treatment of High Blood Pressure (JNC V). Arch. Intern. Med., 1993, 153: 154–183.
- Sleepiness in patients with moderate to severe sleep-disordered breathing. Sleep, 2005, 28: 472–477. , , , and
- The metabolic consequences of sleep deprivation. Sleep Med. Rev., 2007, 11: 163–178. , , and
- Practice parameters for the indications for polysomnography and related procedures: an update for 2005. Sleep, 2005, 28: 499–521. , , et al.
- Self-reported and measured sleep duration: how similar are they? Epidemiology, 2008, 19: 838–845. , , , and
- for the Standards of Practice Committee of the American Academy of Sleep Medicine. Practice parameters for the role of actigraphy in the study of sleep and circadian rhythms: an update for 2002. Sleep, 2003, 26: 337–341. , , et al.;
- Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare. Report of National Health and Nutrition Survey. 2006, Available from: http://www.mhlw.go.jp/houdou/2008/04/dl/h0430-2c.pdf. Last updated 30 April 2008 (accessed 29 January 2011).
- Sleep-disordered breathing in the usual lifestyle setting as detected with home monitoring in a population of working men in Japan. Sleep, 2008, 31: 419–425. , , et al.
- Impaired performance in commercial drivers: role of sleep apnea and short sleep duration. Am. J. Respir. Crit. Care Med., 2006, 174: 446–454. , , et al.
- Sleep 6: obstructive sleep apnoea/hypopnoea syndrome and hypertension. Thorax, 2004, 59: 1089–1094. , and
- Continuous positive airway pressure does not reduce blood pressure in nonsleepy hypertensive OSA patients. Eur. Respir. J., 2006, 27: 1229–1235. , , , and
- Predictors of blood pressure fall with continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) treatment of obstructive sleep apnoea (OSA). Thorax, 2008, 63: 855–859. , , and
- Development of a Japanese version of the Epworth Sleepiness Scale (JESS) based on item response theory. Sleep Med., 2009, 10: 556–565. , , et al.
- Effects of alcohol and sleep restriction on simulated driving performance in untreated patients with obstructive sleep apnea. Ann. Intern. Med., 2009, 151: 447–455. , , et al.
- Actigraphic sleep duration and fragmentation are related to obesity in the elderly: the Rotterdam Study. Int. J. Obes., 2008, 32: 1083–1090. , , et al.