Clinical trials.gov identifier: NCT 00993876.
REM suppression and cognition
Sleep and cognition at baseline and the effects of REM sleep diminution after 1 week of antidepressive treatment in patients with depression
Article first published online: 24 FEB 2011
© 2011 European Sleep Research Society
Journal of Sleep Research
Volume 20, Issue 4, pages 544–551, December 2011
How to Cite
GÖDER, R., SEECK-HIRSCHNER, M., STINGELE, K., HUCHZERMEIER, C., KROPP, C., PALASCHEWSKI, M., ALDENHOFF, J. and KOCH, J. (2011), Sleep and cognition at baseline and the effects of REM sleep diminution after 1 week of antidepressive treatment in patients with depression. Journal of Sleep Research, 20: 544–551. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2869.2011.00914.x
- Issue published online: 14 NOV 2011
- Article first published online: 24 FEB 2011
- Accepted in revised form 23 January 2011; received 11 November 2010
- REM, not incubation, improves creativity by priming associative networks. PNAS, 2009, 106: 10130–10134. , , , and
- Neurocognitive mechanisms in depression: implication for treatment. Annu. Rev. Neurosci., 2009, 32: 57–74. , and
- The whats and whens of sleep-dependent memory consolidation. Sleep Med. Rev., 2009, 13: 309–321. , and
- Impaired off-line memory consolidation in depression. Eur. Neuropsychopharmacol., 2010, 20: 553–561. , , , and
- Neurocognitive consequences of sleep deprivation. Semin. Neurol., 2005, 25: 117–129. and
- Fluoxetine and sleep EEG: effects of a single dose, subchronic treatment, and discontinuation in healthy subjects. Neuropsychopharmacology, 2002, 26: 246–258. , , , , and
- Slow wave sleep and REM sleep awakenings do not affect sleep dependent memory consolidation. Sleep, 2009, 32: 302–310. , , , and
- Sleep in major depression: relation to memory performance and outcome after interpersonal psychotherapy. Neuropsychobiology, 2007, 55: 36–42. , , et al.
- Effects of olanzapine on slow wave sleep, sleep spindles and sleep related memory consolidation in schizophrenia. Pharmacopsychiatry, 2008, 41: 92–99. , , et al.
- Development of a rating scale for primary depressive illness. Br. J. Soc. Clin. Psychol., 1967, 6: 278–296.
- Verbaler Lern- und Merkfähigkeitstest (VLMT). Beltz, Göttingen, 2001. , and
- Human sleep, sleep loss and behaviour. Implications for the prefrontal cortex and psychiatric disorder. Br. J. Psychiatry, 1993, 162: 413–419.
- The relationship between REM sleep and memory consolidation in old age and effects of cholinergic medication. Biol. Psychiatry, 2007, 61: 750–757. , , , and
- Interpersonal Psychotherapy of Depression. Basic Books, New York, 1984. , and
- Reboxetine induces similar sleep-EEG changes like SSRIs in patients with depression. Pharmacopsychiatry, 2004, 37: 193–195. , , , and
- Reduced overnight consolidation of procedural learning in chronic medicated schizophrenia is related to specific sleep stages. J. Psychiatr. Res., 2010, 44: 112–120. , , et al.
- Antidepressant drugs and memory: insights from animal studies. Eur. Neuropsychopharmacol., 2008, 18: 235–248. , , and
- Sleeping brain, learning brain. The role of sleep for memory systems. Neuroreport, 2001, 12: A111–A124. , , and
- Sleep in mood disorders. Psychiatr. Clin. N. Am., 2006, 29: 1009–1032. and
- Pharmacological REM sleep suppression paradoxically improves rather than impairs skill memory. Nat. Neurosci., 2009, 12: 396–397. , , and
- The relationships between memory systems and sleep stages. J. Sleep Res., 2005, 14: 123–140. , , and
- A Manual of Standardized Terminology, Techniques and Scoring System for Sleep Stages of Human Subjects. US Department of Health Education and Welfare, Bethesda, 1968. and
- Children’s production of verbal and nonverbal fluency tasks. Percept. Mot. Skills, 1982, 55: 839–844. , and
- Validity of the Trail Making Test as an indicator of organic brain damage. Percept. Mot. Skills, 1958, 8: 271–276.
- The effect of a REM sleep deprivation procedure on different aspects of memory function in humans. Psychophysiology, 2008, 45: 309–317. , , , , and
- Conventional and spectral power analysis of all-night sleep EEG after subchronic treatment with paroxetine in healthy male volunteers. Eur. Neuropsychopharmacol., 1998, 8: 273–278. , , and
- The REM sleep-memory consolidation hypothesis. Science, 2001, 294: 1058–1063.
- Sleep-dependent memory consolidation. Nature, 2005, 437: 1272–1278.
- Cognitive flexibility across the sleep-wake cycle: REM sleep enhancement of anagram problem solving. Brain Res. Cogn. Brain Res, 2002, 14: 317–324. , , and
- Testbattery for Attentional Performance (TAP). Psytest, Freiburg, 1993. and