Anatomical markers of sleep slow wave activity derived from structural magnetic resonance images
Article first published online: 25 MAR 2011
© 2011 European Sleep Research Society
Journal of Sleep Research
Volume 20, Issue 4, pages 506–513, December 2011
How to Cite
BUCHMANN, A., KURTH, S., RINGLI, M., GEIGER, A., JENNI, O. G. and HUBER, R. (2011), Anatomical markers of sleep slow wave activity derived from structural magnetic resonance images. Journal of Sleep Research, 20: 506–513. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2869.2011.00916.x
- Issue published online: 14 NOV 2011
- Article first published online: 25 MAR 2011
- Accepted in revised form 26 February 2011; received 9 July 2010
- Long distance communication in the human brain: timing constraints for inter-hemispheric synchrony and the origin of brain lateralization. Biol. Res., 2003, 36: 89–99. , and
- Coherence analysis of the human sleep electroencephalogram. Neuroscience, 1998a, 85: 1195–1208. and
- Temporal evolution of coherence and power in the human sleep electroencephalogram. J. Sleep Res., 1998b, 7(Suppl. 1): 36–41. and
- Mathematical models of sleep regulation. Front. Biosci., 2003, 8: S683–S693. and
- Electrophysiological correlates of sleep delta waves. Electroencephalogr. Clin. Neurophysiol., 1998, 107: 69–83. and
- A fast diffeomorphic image registration algorithm. Neuroimage, 2007, 38: 95–113.
- Voxel-based morphometry – the methods. Neuroimage, 2000, 11: 805–821. and
- Grey and white matter reduction in hyposmic subjects – a voxel-based morphometry study. Brain Res., 2010, 1347: 42–47. , , , , and
- A two process model of sleep regulation. Hum. Neurobiol., 1982, 1: 195–204.
- EEG sleep slow-wave activity as a mirror of cortical maturation. Cereb. Cortex, 2011, 21: 607–615. , , et al.
- Longitudinal trajectories of non-rapid eye movement delta and theta EEG as indicators of adolescent brain maturation. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA, 2009, 106: 5177–5180. and
- Cortical surface-based analysis. I. Segmentation and surface reconstruction. Neuroimage, 1999, 9: 179–194. , and
- Dynamic predictions: oscillations and synchrony in top-down processing. Nat. Rev. Neurosci., 2001, 2: 704–716. , and
- Individual ‘fingerprints’ in human sleep EEG topography. Neuropsychopharmacology, 2001, 25: S57–S62. , and
- Cortical surface-based analysis. II: inflation, flattening, and a surface-based coordinate system. Neuroimage, 1999, 9: 195–207. , and
- The dielectric properties of biological tissues: I. Literature survey. Phys. Med. Biol., 1996, 41: 2231–2249. , and
- Measurement of the conductivity of skull, temporarily removed during epilepsy surgery. Brain Topogr., 2003, 16: 29–38. , , et al.
- Local sleep and learning. Nature, 2004, 430: 78–81. , , and
- The AASM Manual for the Scoring of Sleep and Associated Events. American Academy of Sleep Medicine (AASM), Westchester, 2007. , , and
- Effect of unilateral somatosensory stimulation prior to sleep on the sleep EEG in humans. J. Sleep Res., 1994, 3: 159–164. , and
- The EEG in acallosal children. Coherence values in the resting state: left hemisphere compensatory mechanism? Electroencephalogr. Clin. Neurophysiol., 1995, 95: 397–407. , , , , and
- Coherence patterns of the infant sleep EEG in absence of the corpus callosum. Electroencephalogr. Clin. Neurophysiol., 1987, 66: 8–14. , and
- Genotype-dependent differences in sleep, vigilance, and response to stimulants. Curr. Pharm. Des., 2008, 14: 3396–3407.
- The sleep slow oscillation as a traveling wave. J. Neurosci., 2004, 24: 6862–6870. , , , and
- Interhemispheric EEG coherence before and after partial callosotomy. Clin. Electroencephalogr., 1990, 21: 42–47. , , , , and
- Decreased interhemispheric EEG coherence during sleep in agenesis of the corpus callosum. Eur. Neurol., 1993, 33: 173–176. , and
- The conductivity of the human skull: results of in vivo and in vitro measurements. IEEE Trans. Biomed. Eng., 2000, 47: 1487–1492. , and
- A small step for the cell, a giant leap for mankind: a hypothesis of neocortical expansion during evolution. Trends Neurosci., 1995, 18: 383–388.
- A functional genetic variation of adenosine deaminase affects the duration and intensity of deep sleep in humans. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA, 2005, 102: 15676–15681. , , et al.
- Neuronal synchrony: a versatile code for the definition of relations? Neuron, 1999, 24: 111–125.
- A novel slow (<1 Hz) oscillation of neocortical neurons in vivo: depolarizing and hyperpolarizing components. J. Neurosci., 1993, 13: 3252–3265. , and
- Sleep and synaptic homeostasis: a hypothesis. Brain Res. Bull., 2003, 62: 143–150. and
- Interhemispheric coherence of the sleep electroencephalogram in mice with congenital callosal dysgenesis. Neuroscience, 2004, 124: 481–488. , , and
- Cortical firing and sleep homeostasis. Neuron, 2009, 63: 865–878. , , et al.
- Hand and sex differences in the isthmus and genu of the human corpus callosum. A postmortem morphological study. Brain, 1989, 112: 799–835.